Canadian pricing with US cruise outlets

Travelexpert35

I know we can’t mention any TA’s on here but was wondering if anyone has gotten Canadian pricing from the NH company. I have used them in the past but only in US dollars. Difficult to reach them to ask so thought someone out there can shed some light.

I am not sure what you are asking

I use a USA  TA  & the cruise line  I use offers pricing in CAD  or USD 

I would think any agency if dealing with cruises lines that offer  payment in CAD should be able to process your  booking  via CC to the cruiseline in CAD

32 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Thanks for your reply. The US agency in New Hampshire that I had booked with 4 yrs ago only showed prices in USD not CAD. I realize the cruise lines will accept both but would the group rates apply.

Do you pay the agency direct or does it go on your CC?

My TA still gives me group rates if they are on the sailing I want

Best to ask the agency what their policy is

4 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Difficult to reach them to ask so thought someone out there can shed some light.

If it's difficult to reach them to ask a question, how readily available would they be in an emergency? 

• Like 3

I know the agency you are referring to. I used to get their emails and did booked a cruise through them which I had to cancel as there was a medical emergency that prevented us from travelling. I didn't like that they retained an admin fee when truthfully all they had done was book the exact cabin on the exact sailing I directed them to (meaning I had done all the leg work) so I elected not to use them again. 

That being said, I don't recall having an option of booking in CDN through them. There are two other another online US based agencies through whom I have booked a lot of cruises through and both only have the option of booking in USD. 

Perhaps you can do a bit more comparative pricing in USD and CDN and see if it's more beneficial to just go the route of paying in USD through the company you are looking at or if there are any advantages to just booking in CDN elsewhere assuming you can't book in CDN through the US agency. 

For my last and two upcoming cruises, I did a lot of comparative research for booking in CDN or USD and determined that the cruise line rate was competitive and it ended up being a bit cheaper (and frankly easier) to just book CDN. I got a fantastic deal on the cruise last December booking directly with the cruiseline in CDN dollars so it was definitely to my advantage to have been doing the comparison.

The possible downside to booking in CDN is that you are then locked in at the exchange rate at which you book (for me it was 1.37) for items to purchase in the future through the cruise planner (which I'm not overly concerned about for our cruise this fall but could be a disadvantage for the one two years from now if the dollar improves) but at least I have cut out the credit card's 2.5% exchange fee. This actually worked to my advantage once when I booked with Royal in CDN and the exchange rate worsened considerably by the time I cruised meaning that I was getting price break for items I pre-purchased vs what they would have cost if I had purchased the cruise in USD and then paid the going exchange rate.

• Like 2

I think it is up to the TA to decide, based on if the cruise line itself allows those bookings to be made in CAD or not.

If the TA you are asking about is the one I think it is, I know for certain that it offered CAD or USD pricing and payment for a specific cruise line (but you could not book it in CAD through the online booking system which was only in USD).  On the other hand, another large US-based TA simply didn't have CAD pricing/payment for the same specific cruise line. 

Based on my above experience, assuming that CAD pricing is permitted by the cruise line itself, I think it just depends on whether the specific US-based TA will "offer" it as well.  Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a blanket statement that can apply (e.g., if it does CAD pricing for one cruise line, then it will do for all cruise lines it sells).  I think you will have to ask that specific US-based TA about that specific cruise line.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I know the agency you are referring to.  I have booked with them in the past and gotten Canadian pricing.  The only thing is that they have always told me they could not offer the same level of perks (OBC, etc.) if they do Canadian pricing.  We just book in US $$ now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2023 at 12:15 PM, Travelexpert35 said:

I know we can’t mention any TA’s on here but was wondering if anyone has gotten Canadian pricing from the NH company. I have used them in the past but only in US dollars. Difficult to reach them to ask so thought someone out there can shed some light.

This NH company is now owned by another entity.  I had used them extensively until the covid period at which time they did not communicate.  I have one last booking but the booking was posted in Barcelona.  They charge for changing reservations or cancellations.  Your best bet is to get a travel card that does not charge for US conversions.

Our friend is a TA in Thornhill Ontario

She has more cruise client from the US than from Canada now 

She is able to do booking in both CAD and USD , she will pricing in both currencies 

it just depends if the TA wants to go though all the trouble of working in to different currencies