Specialty Restaurant ,MDR or Buffet for dinner ?

lenquixote66

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

On my first two cruises there was no such thing as a specialty restaurant. and on my first cruise no such thing as a buffet option.

That was then this is now.

On my first cruise it was MDR or be on starvation diet.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:33 PM, shipgeeks said:

MDR, and traditional dining only, with the same table, same waiters, and same tablemates.

The waiter really has a significant impact on the overall dining experience, where ever it may be.

We prefer the more relaxed atmosphere in the MDR generally, where we can usually find a waiter with a sense of humor. That said we also usually have a SDR meal at least once a week, (we do a lot of b2b on Azamara) just for a change of atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Buffet is good for everything except dinner. MDR breakfast is more of a “treat” but you have to get up earlier. 

Interesting screen name.When my father came to the US in 1913 from the UK he was called a Greener.

7 hours ago, Greener123 said:

Buffet is good for everything except dinner. MDR breakfast is more of a “treat” but you have to get up earlier. 

Buffet onboard Azamara on Indian night is pretty special. The MDR is almost empty.

12 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

The waiter really has a significant impact on the overall dining experience, where ever it may be.

We prefer the more relaxed atmosphere in the MDR generally, where we can usually find a waiter with a sense of humor. That said we also usually have a SDR meal at least once a week, (we do a lot of b2b on Azamara) just for a change of atmosphere.

Let’s find a good waiter on Onward 11/07

• Like 1

Recently back from an Oceania cruise. The MDR, specialities and the buffet all had their individual merits and we had dinner in all of them. One of the benefits of Oceania is that specialities are not chargeable extras as I understand to be with some other lines. The buffet allowed us to dine outside on the terrace one evening and the Spanish buffet another night was excellent.

I suppose though that we ate in the MDR more nights than anywhere else. A major selling point for us with Oceania is that you can  turn up at the MDR at whatever time you like,  ask for a table for two and get one pretty much immediately. We have no interest in cruising on a ship where there are "sittings" or you are seated with other people. It's just not us. We also like thier "smart casual" dress code which is how we'd dress for a nice place on land - but that's a whole different dining question, I suppose.