How to survive if you fall off a Carnival cruise ship

Eli_6

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We were on a Magic cruise (John H was the CD for) and the last evening returning to Galveston around 11, we had a man jump overboard (crew member).  The ship and crew responded fast, deployed a boat and rescued the poor demented soul.  I was quite impressed with the effort. 

Wow!  Is that John Heald?  That must have been a bit ago.

Someone on here once told the story that they were on a cruise and a guy took off his shoes and jumped in in front of everyone. And they did successfully rescue him. 

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think he was joking, probably could have put an emoji there to make sure everyone understood that he was joking.

No doubt, as was I by my "lol." I am curious how Marketing could spin it, though, on the benefit list, lol. 🙄

46 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Wow!  Is that John Heald?  That must have been a bit ago.

Someone on here once told the story that they were on a cruise and a guy took off his shoes and jumped in in front of everyone. And they did successfully rescue him. 

Depends on your idea of some time ago...lol, but yes it was inaugural season and think it was one of Jon (Heald's) FFS cruises.  

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

We were on a Magic cruise (John H was the CD for) and the last evening returning to Galveston around 11, we had a man jump overboard (crew member).  The ship and crew responded fast, deployed a boat and rescued the poor demented soul.  I was quite impressed with the effort. 

So, crew training actually does pay off.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

So, crew training actually does pay off.

It sure did, we were in a aft wrap pot side and had a birds eye view.  John cam on the PA and explained what was going on and the successful comclusion giving the crew bif time Kudos.  Was def one of those unique cruise moments.     

11 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It sure did, we were in a aft wrap pot side and had a birds eye view.  John cam on the PA and explained what was going on and the successful comclusion giving the crew bif time Kudos.  Was def one of those unique cruise moments.     

That begs the question do you think crew training "herding" passengers for the real muster drill would also be something that pays off.

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That begs the question do you think crew training "herding" passengers for the real muster drill would also be something that pays off.

No, to me it is better now.  The only real improvement they could do in that your sign and sail card would not activate until you participated in drill.  For the cast majority of the ship thios means they would WANT to take the drill and hopefully retain more.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

No, to me it is better now.  The only real improvement they could do in that your sign and sail card would not activate until you participated in drill.  For the cast majority of the ship thios means they would WANT to take the drill and hopefully retain more.

LOL, so sometimes crew training is fabulous (se your post #106) and other times it is not necessary.. That seems to be your position.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:22 PM, cxr133 said:

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

I haven't read all the replies, so this may have been pointed out, but that teenager did not jump off of a "cruise ship." The media reports on it made it sound that way, but it was a booze cruise type pirate ship excursion in Nassau. They were staying at Atlantis and not on a cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:22 PM, cxr133 said:

quick question....  if one was to fall off and it was a witnessed event.

approx how long does it take to  1. either stop the ship and turn around   2. launch a rescue/crew vehicle.

my heart broke for that teenager who jumped on a dare but he was lost immediately?

Cameron Robbins jumped from a party boat, not a cruise ship. Reportedly it wasn't even under way at the time. He disappeared while in view, probably from a rip current pulling him under. Lots of rumors he was taken by a shark, but there wasn't any screaming or blood in the water. 

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

LOL, so sometimes crew training is fabulous (se your post #106) and other times it is not necessary.. That seems to be your position.

Actually I did not think I said anything at all about training in the post you quote, what I said was they could improve the process by mandating people attend before they start drinking.  How long it takes them to attend has nothing to do with their delivering the message.

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually I did not think I said anything at all about training in the post you quote, what I said was they could improve the process by mandating people attend before they start drinking.  How long it takes them to attend has nothing to do with their delivering the message.

In an earlier post, you praised the training of the crew in regards to man overboard drills. But you do not seem to think that the training of actually working with herding all the passengers at the same time matters. It is the crew that really needs to be trained. You fixate on the passengers being prepared, but as has been said by @chengkp75, their job at muster as to show up and shut up. In a real emergency situation, it would be the crew who would have to act professionally and get the pssengers to do whatever is necessary.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

In an earlier post, you praised the training of the crew in regards to man overboard drills. But you do not seem to think that the training of actually working with herding all the passengers at the same time matters. It is the crew that really needs to be trained. You fixate on the passengers being prepared, but as has been said by @chengkp75, their job at muster as to show up and shut up. In a real emergency situation, it would be the crew who would have to act professionally and get the pssengers to do whatever is necessary.

Everybody has a job to do in the event of an emergency. Being uniformed is stupidity. We can move on.  

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Everybody has a job to do in the event of an emergency. Being uniformed is stupidity. We can move on.  

I assume you meant to write uninformed, not uniformed.

Let's be honest. Whichever muster drill they do, some passengers will be able to perform in a real muster while others will be in a panic. But, IMHO, what really will be needed is crew members who can perform their duties and get passengers to do what they must. And for this the training in a real old fashioned muster drill with real passengers would seem to be a necessity.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Actually, McDonalds deserved to be sued. The woman got severe burns, I think 3rd degree. 

The biggest determiner was that McDonalds had something like 700+ previous incidents of the sort they had settled out of court, and had made NO changes to prevent future occurrences. Turns out - if you know your product is injuring people (whether you think it reasonable or not), you MUST take action to prevent future occurrences.

She was awarded a grand total of $800,000 - and settled for something less than that before the case went to appeal.

On 7/2/2023 at 5:39 PM, Haljo1935 said:

First - am NOT saying she deserved to get burned, so please everyone no backlash on that... One may not expect coffee to be that hot, but who puts coffee between their legs? Isn't that what cup holders are for? Being in control of a heavy, fast moving vehicle, should require full attention and focus. If Driver is focused on preparing coffee in their lap, how much is left for focusing on controlling the vehicle?

" Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of a 1989 Ford Probe, which did not have cup holders"

On 7/3/2023 at 6:55 AM, ontheweb said:

If someone does something stupid after getting really, really drunk, could the same theory as used in the McDonald's case be used as to the number of drinks one is allowed to consume after buying in the drink packages pushed by Carnival and other cruise lines?

If a "reasonable person" would consider them to have been negligent in over serving - yes.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:16 AM, ontheweb said:

I assume you meant to write uninformed, not uniformed.

Let's be honest. Whichever muster drill they do, some passengers will be able to perform in a real muster while others will be in a panic. But, IMHO, what really will be needed is crew members who can perform their duties and get passengers to do what they must. And for this the training in a real old fashioned muster drill with real passengers would seem to be a necessity.

Some people will be able to perform exceptionally well in a real muster without any training and some will not no matter how many times they have been to training. How often have you witnessed panicky passengers at a drill? Most people are just going with the flow joking around with the crew.

49 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Some people will be able to perform exceptionally well in a real muster without any training and some will not no matter how many times they have been to training. How often have you witnessed panicky passengers at a drill? Most people are just going with the flow joking around with the crew.

If training matters so little, why do firefighters train constantly? Why does the military believe in training? The training needed is for the crew to handle the passengers in a real emergency.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If training matters so little, why do firefighters train constantly? Why does the military believe in training? The training needed is for the crew to handle the passengers in a real emergency.

Firefighters don't have real victims at their trainings. Military likewise. All emergency personnel train as do the ship crew.

32 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Firefighters don't have real victims at their trainings. Military likewise. All emergency personnel train as do the ship crew.

Please detail how you would have the crew simulate moving thousands of passengers all at the same time to their muster stations.

34 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Please detail how you would have the crew simulate moving thousands of passengers all at the same time to their muster stations.

Now you’re just being ridiculous. No one said training didn’t matter in the first place. Do you think firemen put people inside burning buildings to rescue, or crush a car on someone so they can train how to calm the victim? 

Actually the crew practices crown control every night when they open the dining rooms or give the OK to disembark at ports. 🙂 🙂 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Actually the crew practices crown control every night when they open the dining rooms or give the OK to disembark at ports. 🙂 🙂 

I'll step in here and call this for the fallacy that it is.  You are comparing a service industry function, where the "guest is always right", to a life threatening situation, where the crew are in command.

13 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Do you think firemen put people inside burning buildings to rescue, or crush a car on someone so they can train how to calm the victim?

No, but they do actually "face the beast" by going into a room on fire in drills, and burn buildings that are condemned to experience structural collapse.  So, they get training as close as possible to reality in their primary mission.  The crew designated to direct passengers to muster, and to conduct the muster, this is their primary mission, and they get no actual training in this under the new muster format.  A basic tenet of successful training is to "train like it's real" and make training as realistic as possible.

And, firefighters will place another firefighter in a place in a fire simulation where they can escape if necessary, to act as simulated victims. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll step in here and call this for the fallacy that it is.  You are comparing a service industry function, where the "guest is always right", to a life threatening situation, where the crew are in command.

No, but they do actually "face the beast" by going into a room on fire in drills, and burn buildings that are condemned to experience structural collapse.  So, they get training as close as possible to reality in their primary mission.  The crew designated to direct passengers to muster, and to conduct the muster, this is their primary mission, and they get no actual training in this under the new muster format.  A basic tenet of successful training is to "train like it's real" and make training as realistic as possible.

And, firefighters will place another firefighter in a place in a fire simulation where they can escape if necessary, to act as simulated victims. 

You need to learn what smiley faces mean.

Secondly, I’m not one who ever said one muster is preferable to another. Just answering questions posed. But if you really want to make it realistic, why not have passengers “act” panicky? That’s what we do in active shooter training with volunteer actors. 

On the other hand, does the crew really need to train with passengers every 3-4 days as in short cruises. I just do whatever I’m told to do.