Changing cabins on back to back cruise

We are on a back to back cruise in July and couldn’t get the same cabin for second leg.  Our TA is not being especially helpful with this.  We were hoping to do an excursion on turnaround day.  

Can anyone tell me their experience with this as we don’t want to have to pack everything in order to make the move.

They make it easy.  Your stateroom attendant will move your stuff.  They do it early in the morning so they can make up the cabin for the next passenger.  They clean your 2nd cabin, and move your things.  You pack your valuables and toiletries.  You take your stuff to be put in the safe in the new cabin.

I came to supervise because I wanted to see that it was done to my satisfaction.

Many thanks to my Cruise Critic family for walking me through the process.  We now know what happens and feel relaxed about the move.

Being me, I have yet one more question. It was  mentioned that they move everything in the closet drawers.  Does that mean we should pack what is in all the wonderful drawers outside the closet?

2 hours ago, Eager2Travel said:

Does that mean we should pack what is in all the wonderful drawers outside the closet?

We did. Mostly because we had all kinds of little things that we didn't want left behind.

As for the closet drawers, they actually just carry the full closet drawer to the new suite and swap in the empty one.

• Like 1

Thanks again.  I think I have the full picture.  I will plan on dumping the extra stuff into our carry on suitcase.  You all have been a bid help.

I do wish Regent had more to offer than  all seven day cruises to Alaska this year. However, we wouldn’t want to miss making the trip on Regent.  They have us spoiled for anything else

• Like 1

I had the same question earlier this year and the day of - a team of three guys appeared at 8am and basically moved everything into the new cabin and I watched.  Off to breakfast and events off the ship that I had planned for the rest of the day. 

I will say that Regent really doesn’t explain this well anywhere and leaves you with a weird felling.  You also can’t book anything on this day with them unless you are in the same room - those folks seem to have options.  You won’t get those options until a couple of days before.  Hence, I did my own thing.   I really believe there is room for a better experience and this is something Regent can control, but hasn’t. 

Ann:

Mary and I did this recently; advice above was our experience. Only caveat, Mary had to "talk" to Housekeeping several times to get it done early so we could go on an early cross-over day excursion. Getting into the new room's safe was the only delay. Very good experience!

Jim C

from the Splendor in the Baltic (Germany, I think)

Regent is very efficient in handling room changes, but as DeepFreeze mentioned, it may require some intervention from you if you want to get off the ship early. Once we had a "turnaround day" excursion and the second time I had made private arrangements, both required an early departure. The two times we needed to change suites, I made contact with the people in the suite we would be moving to and asked if they would be so kind to text me when they had vacated the room (both graciously agreed) so the process could start as soon as possible.  Housekeeping will transfer everything from the closet, swap out drawers, move the suitcases and anything else you want them to move. I took care of all of the items from the safe, meds and toiletries, electronics and work items. Housekeeping provided bags to make the process easy. It was handled very efficiently and quickly and although I try to get the same suite for the entire cruise, if it is not possible, I would have no hesitation of booking a future cruise that would require a room change.

15 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Ann:

Mary and I did this recently; advice above was our experience. Only caveat, Mary had to "talk" to Housekeeping several times to get it done early so we could go on an early cross-over day excursion. Getting into the new room's safe was the only delay. Very good experience!

Jim C

from the Splendor in the Baltic (Germany, I think)

Hi Jim

We also would like to be able to get off ship early and do something.  As I remember the port area from previous stops there isn’t much immediately there.   

Sayhello to Mary.  I still remember our Prime 7 dinner on your first Regent cruise.

1 hour ago, NYC-London said:

Regent is very efficient in handling room changes, but as DeepFreeze mentioned, it may require some intervention from you if you want to get off the ship early. Once we had a "turnaround day" excursion and the second time I had made private arrangements, both required an early departure. The two times we needed to change suites, I made contact with the people in the suite we would be moving to and asked if they would be so kind to text me when they had vacated the room (both graciously agreed) so the process could start as soon as possible.  Housekeeping will transfer everything from the closet, swap out drawers, move the suitcases and anything else you want them to move. I took care of all of the items from the safe, meds and toiletries, electronics and work items. Housekeeping provided bags to make the process easy. It was handled very efficiently and quickly and although I try to get the same suite for the entire cruise, if it is not possible, I would have no hesitation of booking a future cruise that would require a room change.

That is good to know they will provide bags.  I was thinking I would need to pack something.  

19 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I had the same question earlier this year and the day of - a team of three guys appeared at 8am and basically moved everything into the new cabin and I watched.  Off to breakfast and events off the ship that I had planned for the rest of the day. 

I will say that Regent really doesn’t explain this well anywhere and leaves you with a weird felling.  You also can’t book anything on this day with them unless you are in the same room - those folks seem to have options.  You won’t get those options until a couple of days before.  Hence, I did my own thing.   I really believe there is room for a better experience and this is something Regent can control, but hasn’t. 

Did you have to do anything ahead to have the team of three guys show up?  That sounds perfect.  Did you know what time they were going to appear?

I agree that Regent could be a little more reassuring about this situation..

Thanks for the help.

I was all over the timing of this with my room attendant.  I think he clued in the other room attendant and as soon as the other room left, our stuff was moved over.  Our room attendant did some intros and we were off to breakfast.   

I was hoping for a vacation from staying on top of things but if I want it to go smoothly that is what I better do.  It sounds like you had things ready to go.  I will do the same.  I really appreciate the extra advice.

I still am a little unclear about the drawers outside the closet.  Do we need to empty those?

Edited by Eager2Travel

You are worrying way  too much. Talk to the room stewards/housekeeping before moving day. Tell them what time they can start and need to be finished. Nothing will happen until people start leaving the ship  and can clean the new room but it goes fast after that. You do not need to hang around. Leave your valuables with front desk if you are not going to be around to put them in the new safe before you get off the ship We did this on the Splendor at Christmas. I left the closet alone and they moved that totally… got everything right back where it was. We keep our luggage under the bed so I tossed the bathroom stuff in the carryon, all other things -computer, iPad, books, stuff out in the room in another suitcase and locked it. Did that mostly before breakfast that morning…. I wasn’t really packing it… the baggage handlers weren’t going to get their hands on it so I wasn’t too careful. I think there were only 4 small drawers in our suite outside the closet and I left the stuff in there to move, called housekeeping told we were ready and left. Came back later all was put away and the two cases I threw stuff in were on the bed. Took about 10 mins to put that away. So easy!

• Like 1

CWN, you nailed it.  I worry way too much!  Poor emotional skills.  I shall follow your complete instructions to the letter. 

I am officially prepared.  Thanks one and all.  You would think this is my first Regent cruise.  We became Titanium on our last cruise but I still need Cruise Critic by my side!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eager2Travel said:

CWN, you nailed it.  I worry way too much!  Poor emotional skills.  I shall follow your complete instructions to the letter. 

I am officially prepared.  Thanks one and all.  You would think this is my first Regent cruise.  We became Titanium on our last cruise but I still need Cruise Critic by my side!

We will make it to Titanium on the cruise next year, but there is still stuff that I have questions on. We changed suites for the first time in Dec. I would do it again for a cruise I really wanted. Enjoy your cruise!!

If you tend to worry to much and want some reassurance, a few days before turn around day ask reception to connect you with the chief housekeeper - let her know your concerns, ask for suggestions to make the process easier and explain that you would like to have the move completed as soon as possible so that you can enjoy your day in port.

As others have mentioned, housekeeping is very efficient and makes the entire procedure very easy.

We also had an excellent experience.  The suite we were moving to was one of the first ones cleaned.  I think we were moved in by 10am!!

I did pack one suitcase with stuff I wanted to organize myself.  So they just moved the suitcase and I handled the rest.