1st time Celebrity, trying to decide on stateroom

tarheel87

Hi everyone. My husband and I are contemplating a Celebrity cruise for next winter. We've done three cruises before, 1 Carnival and 2 Royal.  Our last ship, Freedom of the Seas, was almost too big for us and we are hoping to find a ship and cruise line that caters to people in their 50's and 60's.  Celebrity seems to be a good fit without going overboard in price.  I'm looking at a cruise on Celebrity Reflection and I'm debating on whether to get a Veranda or a Concierge class stateroom.  Do you mind telling which you prefer and why? I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the extra cost to get the Concierge room.  Many, many thanks!

They are the same size. There are a couple of extra features that come with the concierge room like a bottle of rather inexpensive bubbly wine, a dining room lunch on embarkation day (as opposed to the Buffet), and extra Captains Club points.  Most people think it is not worth the up charge for concierge on the S class ships, which Reflection is.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 6

I agree on Reflection the Concierge class amenities are not worth paying extra.  The real benefit is some of them are in "better" locations like higher decks or more mid ship.

We like the Deluxe Veranda (DV) which are on the slant of the hump at mid ship.   Due to the slant of the balcony they are 2 or 3 times the size of a regular balcony.   We try to get deck 8.   Most balcony cabins on deck 6 have obstructed views as the life boats are just below.  The view out is not obstructed, just the view down to the water.

The other thing to consider when selecting a room (any class) is if you like the bed by the balcony door or bed by the bathroom.   If the room has a square on it indicating a sleeper sofa the bed will be by the bath.  We personally don't like bed by the bath as we feel it makes getting into the closet difficult.

• Like 1

Like you I was wondering about a Concierge room and then came a cross a good deal on an Aqua room that was about the same price I had been seening for a Concierge room, so I nabbed it. It will be our first time in Aqua and are looking forward to it. The 'extra's' you get for a Concierge room just don't excite us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Like you I was wondering about a Concierge room and then came a cross a good deal on an Aqua room that was about the same price I had been seening for a Concierge room, so I nabbed it. It will be our first time in Aqua and are looking forward to it. The 'extra's' you get for a Concierge room just don't excite us.

The extras you get with either a Concierge Or an Aqua stateroom are not worth the extra cost.

We thought Blu was a total waste of time and money.

15 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

For us Aqua is a non starter:

Firstly because you can't book it at "Cruise Only" rates not an issue if you are happy with the AI prices.

Secondly is the cabin locations. Deck 7 (or if desperate Deck 😎 midships is as high as we go.

Finally the dining - sharing tables at dinner is a major part of our cruise and with Aqua you have your own table.

None of these are right or wrong just personal choices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Most balcony cabins on deck 6 have obstructed views as the life boats are just below. 

Apparently the DeLuxe veranda with the slanted balcony on deck 6 isn’t obstructed.

We have booked one, so I hope this is correct.

• Like 1

Compilation from above posts with input/advice:

1--I'm looking at a cruise on Celebrity Reflection -- Excellent choice( Service-Food--Cleanliness )

2--I agree on Reflection the Concierge class amenities are not worth paying extra -- Not worth anything extra. The concierge lunch is a big Zero--- Nothing special.

3--We like the Deluxe Veranda (DV) which are on the slant of the hump at mid ship.   Due to the slant of the balcony they are 2 or 3 times the size of a regular balcony.   Absolutely correct-- a good choice

4--There are a couple of extra features that come with the concierge room like a bottle of rather inexpensive bubbly wine, a dining room lunch on embarkation day (as opposed to the Buffet), and extra Captains Club points.-- Not worth the extra charge.  

5-- sharing tables at dinner is a major part of our cruise-- Same for us-- We always request a table for 2 and are always accommodated

Trust the above posts-- you will not go wrong.

• Like 1

Many thanks to everyone.  I just booked a Deluxe Veranda on Deck 7 (all that was available).  I got the all-inclusive package because that at least appeared to be a decent value. I now have 274 days to figure out all that we will do.  The cruise goes to the ABC islands and though I've been to two of them, Bonaire will be a first for us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For Bonaire if you like to snorkel https://www.woodwindbonaire.com/   Class operation, best snorkel trip I've ever taken.  Done it 3 times.  5-10 minute walk from the ship.

Otherwise rent a golf cart for 2 and tour the island on your own https://www.bonairecruisers.com/

Both of these are highly recommended on these boards and book up very quickly and can be cancelled up to a day or 2 prior to your reservation.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tarheel87 said:

Hi everyone. My husband and I are contemplating a Celebrity cruise for next winter. We've done three cruises before, 1 Carnival and 2 Royal.  Our last ship, Freedom of the Seas, was almost too big for us and we are hoping to find a ship and cruise line that caters to people in their 50's and 60's.  Celebrity seems to be a good fit without going overboard in price.  I'm looking at a cruise on Celebrity Reflection and I'm debating on whether to get a Veranda or a Concierge class stateroom.  Do you mind telling which you prefer and why? I am trying to figure out if it would be worth the extra cost to get the Concierge room.  Many, many thanks!

Book a Veranda on the bump out if you have the opportunity, the balcony is very big. Also, if you like to have a few drinks, price out the All Included option versus buying packages individually, it's usually a very good deal. Have a great cruise and the Reflection is a wonderful ship.

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Compilation from above posts with input/advice:

1--I'm looking at a cruise on Celebrity Reflection -- Excellent choice( Service-Food--Cleanliness )

2--I agree on Reflection the Concierge class amenities are not worth paying extra -- Not worth anything extra. The concierge lunch is a big Zero--- Nothing special.

3--We like the Deluxe Veranda (DV) which are on the slant of the hump at mid ship.   Due to the slant of the balcony they are 2 or 3 times the size of a regular balcony.   Absolutely correct-- a good choice

4--There are a couple of extra features that come with the concierge room like a bottle of rather inexpensive bubbly wine, a dining room lunch on embarkation day (as opposed to the Buffet), and extra Captains Club points.-- Not worth the extra charge.  

5-- sharing tables at dinner is a major part of our cruise-- Same for us-- We always request a table for 2 and are always accommodated

Trust the above posts-- you will not go wrong.

Great answer except your number 5 which either misquotes me or I wasn't clear. We never have a table for 2. Our choice is a table for 6 sharing in Any Time ( Select) Dining.😊😂😊 

10 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Apparently the DeLuxe veranda with the slanted balcony on deck 6 isn’t obstructed.

We have booked one, so I hope this is correct.

As long as you look straight out, then no...

image.png.e78fc6569990243efea04514edba0197.png

Not sure I'd say that down was much better than the others on deck 6 though as you can see from the photo...

This doesn't really bother us much and we've had a couple of 'hump' cabins on deck 6

10 hours ago, tarheel87 said:

Many thanks to everyone.  I just booked a Deluxe Veranda on Deck 7 (all that was available).  I got the all-inclusive package because that at least appeared to be a decent value. I now have 274 days to figure out all that we will do.  The cruise goes to the ABC islands and though I've been to two of them, Bonaire will be a first for us.

There is a thread on the Carnival board by Willdra, who does wonderful reviews.  Willdra’s Heavenly Carnival Horizon…. Cruise was in April but she is just getting around to the commentary…. Page 8, starting with post 187 she recounts her excursion on first visit to Bonaire, with lots of pictures.  EM

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Willdra’s Heavenly Carnival Horizon…. Cruise was in April but she is just getting around to the commentary…. Page 8, starting with post 187 she recounts her excursion on first visit to Bonaire, with lots of pictures.

That is a great thread!  Thanks so much!

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

Great answer except your number 5 which either misquotes me or I wasn't clear. We never have a table for 2. Our choice is a table for 6 sharing in Any Time ( Select) Dining.😊😂😊 

LOL-- I read your post 26 times and NOW, I get it . 

" sharing tables at dinner is a major part of our cruise and with Aqua you have your own table".

" sharing table, major part of your cruise" ---Now that's easy-- you enjoy sharing a table.

LOL---I read it as because it's a major part of your cruise you did not want to share a table, and when you further mentioned "with Aqua you have your own table "--- That's what I was referring to in my comment about always requesting a table for 2 in the MDR.

LOL--- (General comment)-- Would you like to share a table with some of the Posters on CC??

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL-- I read your post 26 times and NOW, I get it . 

" sharing tables at dinner is a major part of our cruise and with Aqua you have your own table".

" sharing table, major part of your cruise" ---Now that's easy-- you enjoy sharing a table.

LOL---I read it as because it's a major part of your cruise you did not want to share a table, and when you further mentioned "with Aqua you have your own table "--- That's what I was referring to in my comment about always requesting a table for 2 in the MDR.

LOL--- (General comment)-- Would you like to share a table with some of the Posters on CC??

General comment - we have no issues with sharing a table with Posters on CC. They have all turned out to be ok in real life. We have had issues with 2 or 3 passengers and requested not to sit with them again and this request has been granted. We have had many many happy dinners with lots of laughs especially with our different cultures and ways of approaching issues (we are English and honorary Texans as our grandson was born l and still lives in that state) whereas most of our table companions are American/Canadia.. Discussions have been wide ranging, informative and friendly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tarheel87 said:

We did the ABC Islands on Reflection this year and were in DV 7208.   It was an excellent cabin

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

" General comment - we have no issues with sharing a table with Posters on CC. They have all turned out to be ok in real life".

" our different cultures and ways of approaching issues ".

How did you arrange to meet ? Do they still have Meet and Greet gatherings ?

( I assume it wasn't  from the upside-down pineapple on the door " Activity " ) ?

Is it common for CCers to reveal their name if/when/how they meet in person even if not sharing a table for dinner ?

" sharing a table with Posters on CC "--- I said " some "of the Posters on CC "--- meaning " some " of the continuously negative posters on CC.

" our different cultures and ways of approaching issues " -- 

LOL-- That's exactly why we decided (?? ) to leave a table in the middle of our dinner without even staying for desert on a cruise " way back when ".  As a matter of fact, we just got up and walked away without saying " Nice meeting you ".

Since then, we've met many very nice people at nearby tables--- always fun.

44 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

How did you arrange to meet ? Do they still have Meet and Greet gatherings ?

( I assume it wasn't  from the upside-down pineapple on the door " Activity " ) ?

Is it common for CCers to reveal their name if/when/how they meet in person even if not sharing a table for dinner ?

" sharing a table with Posters on CC "--- I said " some "of the Posters on CC "--- meaning " some " of the continuously negative posters on CC.

" our different cultures and ways of approaching issues " -- 

LOL-- That's exactly why we decided (?? ) to leave a table in the middle of our dinner without even staying for desert on a cruise " way back when ".  As a matter of fact, we just got up and walked away without saying " Nice meeting you ".

Since then, we've met many very nice people at nearby tables--- always fun.

How do we meet:

sometimes it's with people who we will be or have shared a private tour with ( we normally book private guides and share with one or sometimes two other couples).

Sometimes exchanges on the Roll Calls result in suggestions that we meet for dinner (Silhouette 2019 was a classic. So many different groups plus the running saga of the invisible dog). Other times it's "pot luck" and we only find out during the meal that our companions are CC's. 

Sometimes it's with passengers we have cruised with before (this will be the case on Reflection in October).

Today I have been sharing travel jokes with an American friend we first met on a Christmas cruise in 2007.

For years we have visited another couple every time we are in New York who we first met on Infinity in 2010 - sadly one of them died in 2020 and the other has moved to Seattle.

Another passenger kindly helped us for years by converting English nursery Rhymes to the American versions as our grandson got so frustrated when we got the words wrong.

Sadly I have seen reports that X will not be reintroducing the CC Meet and Mingle but that we are free to arrange a private meeting. Don't know how this will work out but someone is looking into it for our Transatlantic on Reflection in October (see the Roll Call).

We have never felt the need to walk out (it was close on a couple of occasions) but are careful to keep what could be contentious issues from becoming too intense or divisive. For example "politics" are fine when we stick to discussing the differences between our systems but we stay clear of specific "party politics". This did become more difficult when we happened to be on cruises for both the Trump/Clinton and the Trump/Biden contests and also the UK's EU Referendum night.

Ok enough rambling and who knows we may get to meet on a future cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:29 PM, Nachosdelux said:

I think that Aqua is worth a small premium, but Concierge is not. 

IMO it is for the AI as well as free fitness classes.  We paid a VERY minimal premium and actually less than a verandah.