Dining reservations

I would say that you need to make reservations as soon as you can or eat late to get into the specialty restaurants. Don’t underestimate Compass Rose. We had several meals there that I thought were better than the specialty restaurant meals. 

• Like 3

We're on the 12/14 Grandeur cruise also. This is our first Regent cruise. Today, four minutes ago, was the dining reservations day. I was on at exactly 8pm ET. There were no reservations available any day for Pacific Rim. I understand we are only in an F1 cabin, but really? I am really looking forward to this cruise and trying Regent, but this leaves me with a bad impression already.

I know we can try when on board, but it seems like there ought to be a better system than this.

3 hours ago, lorimay said:

We're on the 12/14 Grandeur cruise also. This is our first Regent cruise. Today, four minutes ago, was the dining reservations day. I was on at exactly 8pm ET. There were no reservations available any day for Pacific Rim. I understand we are only in an F1 cabin, but really? I am really looking forward to this cruise and trying Regent, but this leaves me with a bad impression already.

I know we can try when on board, but it seems like there ought to be a better system than this.

Pacific Rim is a very small dining room, and as you can see below, there are very few tables for 2. Unless you're willing to share a larger table, it's all but impossible to snag a two-top, even if you have a two week concierge/suite booking advantage. 

93F5CE91-A60D-4829-880A-247B0CF82204.jpeg.40d3ca2ff474b921ed109e7fee2fb172.jpeg

7 hours ago, GMIAC said:

Pacific Rim is a very small dining room, and as you can see below, there are very few tables for 2. Unless you're willing to share a larger table, it's all but impossible to snag a two-top, even if you have a two week concierge/suite booking advantage. 

93F5CE91-A60D-4829-880A-247B0CF82204.jpeg.40d3ca2ff474b921ed109e7fee2fb172.jpeg

Once there is a reservation booked, is it possible to go back into the system and request a non-shared table? It seems like you have to drop the reservation.

14 hours ago, lorimay said:

Just a comment.... don't let something this little leave you with a "bad impression."  We have around 40 cruises so far, only 2 (although very long ones) on Regent.  Regent by FAR out performs EVERY cruise line experience we've had.  And there is always a "glitch" or two on EVERY cruise we have been on.  So if you sweat the small stuff, you'll find that all you see is the small stuff and won't enjoy your cruise.  

Specialty Dining and Shore Excursion priority is one of the few things that Regent can offer on board for higher suites and higher levels of the loyalty program.  So they do.  Everything else is all inclusive for EVERY suite.  But keep this in mind.... people cancel all the time so reservations may come open.  Be willing to share a table.  Be flexible on your time and day.  Keep checking back.  And when you get on board, go the restaurant and see if you can get in.  People in certain suites get guaranteed tables any night they want in any restaurant so they must keep certain tables open and those, if not used, will be available.  So you have a very good chance of getting into the restaurant, possibly more than once. 

So keep the broad perspective. See the "forest," not just the "trees."  

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just a comment.... don't let something this little leave you with a "bad impression."  We have around 40 cruises so far, only 2 (although very long ones) on Regent.  Regent by FAR out performs EVERY cruise line experience we've had.  And there is always a "glitch" or two on EVERY cruise we have been on.  So if you sweat the small stuff, you'll find that all you see is the small stuff and won't enjoy your cruise.  

Specialty Dining and Shore Excursion priority is one of the few things that Regent can offer on board for higher suites and higher levels of the loyalty program.  So they do.  Everything else is all inclusive for EVERY suite.  But keep this in mind.... people cancel all the time so reservations may come open.  Be willing to share a table.  Be flexible on your time and day.  Keep checking back.  And when you get on board, go the restaurant and see if you can get in.  People in certain suites get guaranteed tables any night they want in any restaurant so they must keep certain tables open and those, if not used, will be available.  So you have a very good chance of getting into the restaurant, possibly more than once. 

So keep the broad perspective. See the "forest," not just the "trees."  

Very sage observations and thoughts. Thank you for this.

I'm a super-planner by nature, and like to know I have guarantees. It's taken years, but I've learned that going with the flow and stopping to smell the roses not only results in satisfying trips, but also creates new experiences and memories that no one can plan in advance. If I have a few "sure things" planned, I'm confident that the other things will fill in the cracks and give us extra time to be spontaneous. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice on sharing a table. I was able to get a reservation. If you are new, like us, to the Regent system, there's no way to know these things. 

Even if we didn't get in all the restaurants it wouldn't have ruined our trip. We've cruised a lot, had a lot of ups and downs on different cruise lines, and pretty much go with the flow. We booked this cruise rather late so I understood why we didn't get some of the excursions we wanted, but if you offer specialty restaurants included then you would think everyone would get a chance. I'm a little gun shy about the "get them on board" reservations because we had an unpleasant experience on Oceania last year. We were trying to get into Jacques, they said just come at 8:15, we finally got seated at about 8:45 and we were the last and only table left in the restaurant. They were clearly closing up shop and our food was not up to the same standard as visit earlier that cruise.

Luckily for us we don't mind eating late - there were no reservations available before 8pm for any of the restaurants when they opened up to us yesterday.

20 hours ago, lorimay said:

Luckily for us we don't mind eating late - there were no reservations available before 8pm for any of the restaurants when they opened up to us yesterday.

I'm sure part of the problem is that the shows are at 9:30 so everyone tends to reserve early enough to get to the show.  So 8 pm being available is, unfortunately, what's left often. But once on board, if you want to try and move it, give it a shot.  Nothing to lose in asking.  And you can always show up early and see if a table has opened unexpectedly and if so get in a bit earlier. 

Have a fun cruise! 

What is your best advice for two couples traveling together and wanting to dine together each evening with regard to specialty dining reservations when one of us has loyalty and the earlier chance to reserve tables and the other couple does not. 

(This is the Grandeur next February, if that makes a difference.)

TIA

10 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

What is your best advice for two couples traveling together and wanting to dine together each evening with regard to specialty dining reservations when one of us has loyalty and the earlier chance to reserve tables and the other couple does not. 

(This is the Grandeur next February, if that makes a difference.)

TIA

I'm the novice here; we don't even embark on our first Regent cruise until the end of November.  But, we did hit the envelope for making our specialty dining reservations six weeks ago, and I did so.  I believe the on-line system makes it easy to include your friends in your reservations.

Once you get to the function which allows you to schedule your specialty dining reservations on line, you will see, near the top, the line "Reservations are for . . . ", with your name and your spouse's name beneath.

Below your names is a single-line feature enabling you to add other guests to that particular dining reservation.  This is where you add the names of the other couple.  (I should think, anyway, since I didn't actually use that function.)

Hope this helps.

6 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Thank you. 

I hope that even though they would not be able to make their own reservations until weeks later, I will simply be able to add them to mine when I make them.

It's worth a try, as @CDR Benson outlines above. Even if it won't let you because they're in steerage (😜), you should be able to make yours, then they can make theirs, (shared table or not), and then you can stop at the maitre 'd and ask them to seat you together. I'm sure they'd be happy to have the two-top, if that's what you had, back in their inventory. 

6 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Fingers crossed though that friends at the later date can get the same venue, date, and time as ours that we make weeks earlier. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

If they're on right when their reservations window opens, they'll have a very good chance, especially when they indicate that they'll share a table. 

5 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Let me try to understand…

THEY, booking at a later date should indicate they wish to share?

(We’d of course like a four-top, same venue, same date, same time.)
I’m thinking any indication of sharing might put us at a 6 or 8 top?
🤔

I don’t think there are 8-tops at the specialty restaurants. Very few 6-tops. More likely, they’d push tables together for larger parties/families. 

Yes, they should specify while booking. There’s much better availability of shared tables than of two-tops. Either way, check with the maitre d’ as soon as possible after you board. 

Edited by GMIAC

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Let me try to understand…

THEY, booking at a later date should indicate they wish to share?

(We’d of course like a four-top, same venue, same date, same time.)
I’m thinking any indication of sharing might put us at a 6 or 8 top?
🤔

Here is how we did it, since we couldn't add our other party until they became eligible:

- We booked for not-shared table for 2 when we were eligible

- On the day she (one person) became eligible, we canceled and rebooked including her in the new booking.

- We were able to get our same days/times except for one restaurant, but were able to get that restaurant for our desired time on another day.

If you don't get what you want before boarding, you can definitely try to rearrange when you get on board. I believe 2-tops are in highest demand, so if you release a 2-top for a 4-top, you might have a good chance later.

They do use 4-tops for sharing. I was cruising solo on Voyager, specified "share" on my specialty restaurant reservations, and ended up sharing with two others at a 4-top in Chartreuse. These were two friends traveling together. I have no proof, but I suspect the restaurant folks will try not to put a solo with a couple (with multiple couples, sure, but not 3 people total), because that's just so awkward.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RELS said:

Here is how we did it, since we couldn't add our other party until they became eligible:

- On the day she (one person) became eligible, we canceled and rebooked including her in the new booking.

- We were able to get our same days/times except for one restaurant, but were able to get that restaurant for our desired time on another day.

If you don't get what you want before boarding, you can definitely try to rearrange when you get on board. I believe 2-tops are in highest demand, so if you release a 2-top for a 4-top, you might have a good chance later.

They do use 4-tops for sharing. I was cruising solo on Voyager, specified "share" on my specialty restaurant reservations, and ended up sharing with two others at a 4-top in Chartreuse. These were two friends traveling together. I have no proof, but I suspect the restaurant folks will try not to put a solo with a couple (with multiple couples, sure, but not 3 people total), because that's just so awkward.

Thank you. Most helpful. 

19 hours ago, RELS said:

We will be doing this in a couple of weeks.  We are 2 couples and we have early booking, they don't. So to make sure I fully understand, you suggest we book for 2 then when they become eligible we change it to a booking with sharing and add their reservation?  Can the change be done on line or do we need to call Regent to change like shore excursions?  

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We will be doing this in a couple of weeks.  We are 2 couples and we have early booking, they don't. So to make sure I fully understand, you suggest we book for 2 then when they become eligible we change it to a booking with sharing and add their reservation?  Can the change be done on line or do we need to call Regent to change like shore excursions?  

Thanks. 

Disclaimer: This worked for us. Your Mileage May Vary

All of this can be done online. No need to call. But see item (1) below 🙂

Book for yourselves on your day, not sharing.

In order of easiest,

1. Call and ask the agent to add them to your existing reservation (have their names and reservation number handy), but you'll have to wait until the next morning to do so.

2. On their day/time, they can try to book not-shared for the four of you using the

ADD ANOTHER GUEST >>

option on the reservation page. They will need your reservation number. This will cancel your 2-top but that's OK.

3. (Sort of convoluted. We did this because our other party isn't internet savvy.) On their day/time, go back to restaurant reservations. Go to the restaurant/day where you have your reservation. Available times will be shown for that night/restaurant.

I'm not sure of the order of steps now. I think we used the Choose Another Time button all the way at the bottom first. This negated our first reservation, so it was the risky step. The longer your cruise, the more likely there will still be availability on any given night.

Right under your names will be a blue line saying ADD ANOTHER GUEST >>. Click it. A 3-line form will open up requesting their reservation number and name.  Fill that in for each of them.

The shared/not shared radio button is under that form. Keep it at not shared. Choose from the available times, etc as you did before.

If nothing more is available that night, it might be less risky to have them choose another night or shared or whatever they can get and then rearrange on board.