Viking British isles alcohol

Michael50

Hi everyone, we’re thinking of passing on the silver spirit package since it’s $750 for the two of us, 

so, here’s my question, what types of beers are offered if we’re not on the package, and, if we order a drink, do we pay the difference or the price of the drink? 
just trying to figure out if the package is worth it or not, 

thanks 

Helene

If you are not on the package and order a drink not on the included list I believe you get charged for the drink.  Probably not any more than at your local pub as Viking prices are considerably less than other cruise lines we have traveled.🍺

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Michael50 said:

Hi everyone, we’re thinking of passing on the silver spirit package since it’s $750 for the two of us, 

so, here’s my question, what types of beers are offered if we’re not on the package, and, if we order a drink, do we pay the difference or the price of the drink? 
just trying to figure out if the package is worth it or not, 

thanks 

Helene

Okay! Here is what you need to consider.

Wine, beer and soft drinks are free at lunch and dinner. Your choices are the red or white wines of the day and the dark or light beers of the day -- one of each available each day. Without, the package, if you don't like the included choices, you may purchase whichever beer or wine you want up at the price shown on the menu. With the package, your choice of tipple up to $18 is included in the package. If an item lists for over $18, then you pay for it; in other words, the $100+ shots of single-malt offered in Torshavn are not free with the package (but they are discounted).

The package cover soft drinks outside of meals times (but you would have to drink at least 6 per day each and every day, not including what you drink at meals, to break even if you are buying it only to get the soft drinks). Don't forget that there are soft drinks in your mini-bar.

Alcohol-free coffee including lattes, etc., tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7. Bottled still water is available on the gangway as you leave (or return) to the ship. Carafes of water are placed inthe cabin and refreshed twice a day (still,sparkling or both).

Viking has a liberal BYO policy (whatever you want as long as it is legal) which can be consumed anywhere on the ship. There is no corkage fee in the dining rooms. Viking encourages us to sample the local tipples and they make it easy for us to bring it on board. 

BTW, the drinks package does not cover the contents of the mini-bar.

From listening to the conversation over the years, I have decided that there are two reasons that people get the drinks package: 1) it saves them money, or 2) it is convenient not to have to keep track of the bar tab (even if money is left on the table) and its fun to try new drinks and feel as if you have to drink the whole thing.

The plan is described here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the description under Ocean and Expeditions: https://cms-assets.viking.com/mar_content/global-brand-identity/Onboard_GuestFacing/US_CORP_SilverSpirits-AllProduct-2023.pdf  Note that the drinks package incldues

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Okay! Here is what you need to consider.

Wine, beer and soft drinks are free at lunch and dinner. Your choices are the red or white wines of the day and the dark or light beers of the day -- one of each available each day. Without, the package, if you don't like the included choices, you may purchase whichever beer or wine you want up at the price shown on the menu. With the package, your choice of tipple up to $18 is included in the package. If an item lists for over $18, then you pay for it; in other words, the $100+ shots of single-malt offered in Torshavn are not free with the package (but they are discounted).

The package cover soft drinks outside of meals times (but you would have to drink at least 6 per day each and every day, not including what you drink at meals, to break even if you are buying it only to get the soft drinks). Don't forget that there are soft drinks in your mini-bar.

Alcohol-free coffee including lattes, etc., tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7. Bottled still water is available on the gangway as you leave (or return) to the ship. Carafes of water are placed inthe cabin and refreshed twice a day (still,sparkling or both).

Viking has a liberal BYO policy (whatever you want as long as it is legal) which can be consumed anywhere on the ship. There is no corkage fee in the dining rooms. Viking encourages us to sample the local tipples and they make it easy for us to bring it on board. 

BTW, the drinks package does not cover the contents of the mini-bar.

From listening to the conversation over the years, I have decided that there are two reasons that people get the drinks package: 1) it saves them money, or 2) it is convenient not to have to keep track of the bar tab (even if money is left on the table) and its fun to try new drinks and feel as if you have to drink the whole thing.

The plan is described here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read the description under Ocean and Expeditions: https://cms-assets.viking.com/mar_content/global-brand-identity/Onboard_GuestFacing/US_CORP_SilverSpirits-AllProduct-2023.pdf  Note that the drinks package incldues

Clearest explanation of this issue ever - you should demand royalties from all of us who shamelessly steal it for future use! (Not that it would help ...). 🍺🥌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Clearest explanation of this issue ever - you should demand royalties from all of us who shamelessly steal it for future use! (Not that it would help ...). 🍺🥌

Thanks. Steal away. I've been using it for years.

2 minutes ago, Murt22 said:

Explain please

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There's a complimentary mini-bar in every cabin. Only DV cabins and higher have complimentary daily replenishment. Only PV and higher are stocked with alcohol as well as soft drinks.

A few years back, folks were under the impression that if you had the drinks package that it got you alcohol and daily replenishment for the mini-bar as well. It does not.

That said, if you don't have daily replenishment, you can pay to have it replenished. There will be an order form in your cabin. (Or, you can ask for another can of soda at mealtimes). If you don't have, have alcohol, you can pay to have it stocked -- or you can just order drinks from room service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

and its fun to try new drinks and feel as if you have to drink the whole thing.

Oops!

It should read: and its fun to try new drinks and NOT feel as if you have to drink the whole thing when you don't like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the explanation. We were on a river cruise and had complimentary replenishment plus we had the drink package so i thought that was connected. We must have been in the correct cabin for the minibar replenishment. We are in a penthouse junior suite for our Alaska cruise next month, so the same must be true. I was happy to see the drink package including champagne by the glass! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Murt22 said:

Explain please

What you get in the mini bar fridge is what you get on a daily basis according to cabin category whether or not you have the SSP.

If you are in a V cabin, you only get what is in your fridge on the first day - no refills unless you pay for it.  In  DV cabin you get your soft drinks replenished once a day for free.  If you are in PV or higher cabin, you get your soft drinks, alcohol bottles and beer replenished daily for free.  No matter what cabin category,  you can request what you like.  If you want all Sprite and no Cola, ask your room steward.  If you want all Vodka and no Gin, ask.

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

What you get in the mini bar fridge is what you get on a daily basis according to cabin category whether or not you have the SSP.

If you are in a V cabin, you only get what is in your fridge on the first day - no refills unless you pay for it.  In  DV cabin you get your soft drinks replenished once a day for free.  If you are in PV or higher cabin, you get your soft drinks, alcohol bottles and beer replenished daily for free.  No matter what cabin category,  you can request what you like.  If you want all Sprite and no Cola, ask your room steward.  If you want all Vodka and no Gin, ask.

"for free"? Probably better to say it's included in the extra cost.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, duquephart said:

"for free"? Probably better to say it's included in the extra cost.

Or included in the price of that cabin category.  Also PV cabins and above get a bottle of champagne but it is NOT replenished daily.

On 7/3/2023 at 3:50 PM, Jim Avery said:

If you are not on the package and order a drink not on the included list I believe you get charged for the drink.  Probably not any more than at your local pub as Viking prices are considerably less than other cruise lines we have traveled.🍺

DH tends to order beers at lunch, and he has gone through the beer list and has never been charged for the his beers.  We never take the SS package.

• Like 2

I believe I added this to the favorite  “British Isles Souvenirs” topic but

(related to alcohol and British Isles Explorer itinerary…)

—> the Warner Castle gift shop has an amazing small-size gin selection.  

I bought 4 and wished I had bought multiples.

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

I believe I added this to the favorite  “British Isles Souvenirs” topic but

(related to alcohol and British Isles Explorer itinerary…)

—> the Warner Castle gift shop has an amazing small-size gin selection.  

I bought 4 and wished I had bought multiples.

Fortnum & Mason has a gin distillery in their London store.

Free samples too!

IMG_3433.thumb.jpeg.b68a421a88cbc1d6c0d6ecf01a66fd8f.jpeg

IMG_3430.thumb.jpeg.97825d5de5151938cbd4aff78ec8063b.jpeg

IMG_3432.thumb.jpeg.defb1e18b2ffc33761422840f2047d7a.jpeg

IMG_3434.thumb.jpeg.e3a0df594154f3a91636cb46f065d77c.jpeg

IMG_3452.thumb.jpeg.5ceed3159671a8f39f3e640fa489f68c.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

F&M is amazing.  plan to be outside on Piccadilly when the hour strikes, to see the clock.  Excellent tea department, I always get some for special treat at home.  Going in a Christmas is an experience.   after you are done circle round to the back side  and stroll down Jermyn street, look in the windows of the posh tailors and clothiers.  Then return around and stop in at Hatchards book store, Londons oldest,  Beautiful venue .  Just the place to pick up a paperback for your trip.  The blocks behind Fortnams to St James Sq are posh old money, for sure

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Wine, beer and soft drinks are free at lunch and dinner.

Does this include tonic water? For example, if I have a bottle of gin in my room, can I get free tonic water to make a g&t? Also, do they have ginger ale? 

Thanks!

36 minutes ago, Wine4all said:

Does this include tonic water? For example, if I have a bottle of gin in my room, can I get free tonic water to make a g&t? Also, do they have ginger ale? 

Thanks!

Your room fridge will be stocked with soft drinks and you can ask the room steward to stock it with any soft drinks you like, including tonic. On our last two trips it was already stocked with tonic and we asked it to be replaced with ginger ale. BTW best ginger ale I have had, real sugar, not HFCS.

If you are in a DV or above, the fridge is restocked daily. For V it's only once at the start, any restock is chargeable.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

On 7/9/2023 at 3:31 AM, sugarside said:

Chocolate replenished every day as well !!!

But it's not high quality. (OK, maybe I'm a littleXXXXXX lot pickier than most.)

There are also nice cookies and snacks available around the ship for much of the day.