Eclipse vs Summit

Laurab23

With Summit not going to Bermuda next year, we will be cruising on Eclipse. For those who have sailed both- what are the differences that we can expect on Eclipse? How much bigger does it feel than Summit. We have sailed Summit so many times it feels like home and now we feel like we are moving into a new home.

Laura

Although there are about 600 more passengers on the Eclipse, there is an open feel in my opinion.  The biggest differences for me are the Specialty Restaurants, nicer Persian Gardens and the Sky Lounge in front of the ship for drinks and viewing.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keesar said:

Although there are about 600 more passengers on the Eclipse, there is an open feel in my opinion.  The biggest differences for me are the Specialty Restaurants, nicer Persian Gardens and the Sky Lounge in front of the ship for drinks and viewing.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

The Summit also has a Sky Lounge at the front of the ship.

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

With Summit not going to Bermuda next year, we will be cruising on Eclipse. For those who have sailed both- what are the differences that we can expect on Eclipse? How much bigger does it feel than Summit. We have sailed Summit so many times it feels like home and now we feel like we are moving into a new home.

Laura

The Summit was revolutionized and the Eclipse hasn't been. 

I think the S class ships have a fairly similar feel to the M class, just more spaces and more venues to visit.  S class ships also only have two banks of elevators - mid-ship and forward.  So if you book a cabin far aft you will be walking a bit.  Not a big deal unless you have mobility issues (helps walk off some of those calories LOL)  They aren't a huge change in vibe like the E class ships are.  One difference for these ships in particular is that Eclipse was never revolutionized due to the Covid shutdown.  In some ways that is nicer, but the furnishings will be a bit older than you currently see on Summit.  I really like both classes of ships.  

Edited by phoenix_dream

2 minutes ago, George C said:

The revolutionized is a joke , outdoor retreat has no bar or pool . 

Does seem weird. But since we don't book suites, we have no complaints about the Summits revolution. We did think it was odd that Celebrity didn't give the Rendezvous Lounge a facelift. 

50 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Eclipse doesn't have the T-Pool in the solarium.  I'm guessing you are Elite, so the Tuscan Grill is great for morning breakfast.  

yes we are elite. Sad to hear no T-pool. We did enjoy that on Summit. 

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think the S class ships have a fairly similar feel to the M class, just more spaces and more venues to visit.  S class ships also only have two banks of elevators - mid-ship and forward.  So if you book a cabin far aft you will be walking a bit.  Not a big deal unless you have mobility issues (helps walk off some of those calories LOL)  They aren't a huge change in vibe like the E class ships are.  One difference for these ships in particular is that Eclipse was never revolutionized due to the Covid shutdown.  In some ways that is nicer, but the furnishings will be a bit older than you currently see on Summit.  I really like both classes of ships.  

Thank you for the info. Does sound like they are similiar.

13 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

Looking at deck plans it shows a pool in Solarium just not a Tpool. Is this correct? And no hot tubs in solarium?

Laura

Summit no to both questions. Eclipse has two hot tubs. No T-pool. 

Edited by davekathy

18 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Somewhat, probably around 75 degrees.  Not heated anywhere near what the T-pools are heated.  There are two hot tubs in the solarium.

Disappointed. 75 too cold for me. Loved the heated T-pool on the Summit. 

50 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

Somewhat, probably around 75 degrees.  Not heated anywhere near what the T-pools are heated.  There are two hot tubs in the solarium.

Good to hear about the hot tubs.

I did NYE on Summit year before last.  We thought the revolutionized upgrades were meaningful and the ship was in beautiful condition.  I also liked the smaller ship in the sense that it seemed more intimate.

We sailed Eclipse a few years ago and I have another sailing on it later this year.  Not revolutionized, which does make a difference, but also a newer ship than Summit and it should still be in nice condition.  Obviously, it's a bit larger and also has more venues versus Summit.

Even though the ships are obviously different, I'd consider it basically a wash.  However, I'd prefer Eclipse to an older non-revolutionized ship, such as Infinity.

Edited by Stockjock

I don’t think ships being revolutionized makes any difference, it didn’t on summit as far as I am concerned. My first cruise on Celebrity was on S ship a little over ten years ago all others have been on M class or E class, reason we did so many M classes was we do music charters which are only on M classes . Our only S class was before they had a suite restaurant and lounge . One thing I loved on S class was the view from Tuscan grill .

14 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Laura

if you liked Summit, I think you will like Eclipse. As many have said, they are similar.