Advice about Malaga please

Hi, we are going to be visiting Malaga for the first time on a cruise. We've book some excursions in other porta and wondering whether we need to do the same in Malaga.

Can anyone please tell me how far the centre is from the port?

Is it in walking distance or better by shuttle/taxi?

Any advice on what to do once we are in the centre or would we, in fact, be better booking an excursion? 

Thanks

Malaga is a compact city with lots to do/see. There is usually a shuttle to the Port entrance as the berths are a long way out. The city centre is walkable from the Port entrance if your mobility is good. I think there is a city centre shuttle but not sure where it drops off.

Malaga has a nice cathedral and the Alcazaba/Castillo de Gibralfaro. You can walk up to the castle if you want a workout or get a bus.

There are two museums dedicated to Picasso if you are into art and a more quirky Motor & Fashion museum which you can get close to on the new metro system.

The Old Town near the Cathedral is a warren of little streets with lots of lovely cafe's and restaurants in. The main shopping street, Calle Marques de Larios is pedestrianised and shaded with lots of shops. The main road is the Alameda Principal, which is a bit like a mini Las Ramblas and if you walk all the way up this (about 10 minutes) you will find a large El Corte Ingles department store.

There is also a beach beside the port, La Malagueta. Nothing great but not bad.

Malaga is a lovely, authentic Spanish city so if that's the sort of thing you like, very easy to diy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Malaga is a compact city with lots to do/see. There is usually a shuttle to the Port entrance as the berths are a long way out. The city centre is walkable from the Port entrance if your mobility is good. I think there is a city centre shuttle but not sure where it drops off.

Malaga has a nice cathedral and the Alcazaba/Castillo de Gibralfaro. You can walk up to the castle if you want a workout or get a bus.

There are two museums dedicated to Picasso if you are into art and a more quirky Motor & Fashion museum which you can get close to on the new metro system.

The Old Town near the Cathedral is a warren of little streets with lots of lovely cafe's and restaurants in. The main shopping street, Calle Marques de Larios is pedestrianised and shaded with lots of shops. The main road is the Alameda Principal, which is a bit like a mini Las Ramblas and if you walk all the way up this (about 10 minutes) you will find a large El Corte Ingles department store.

There is also a beach beside the port, La Malagueta. Nothing great but not bad.

Malaga is a lovely, authentic Spanish city so if that's the sort of thing you like, very easy to diy.

I think you’ve said it all really! There’s always something new to do there. This year, we visited the Cathedral for the first time, and enjoyed that. On our first visit years ago, with the children, we took a horse drawn carriage ride. There are plenty waiting for the tourists as you cross the road into town, 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

May not suit everyone, but there are interesting guided tours of the bull ring, which is quite near the port, and an architectural highlight in Malaga

Yes, an historic building being nearly 150 years old and contains a museum.

The walk from the berth is pleasant and there are sometimes little market stalls along part of it selling bits and bobs. The city is as others have said easy to walk around with some interesting buildings.  The cathedral is definitely worth a visit.  If you are interested in shopping there are are lots of little shops.  DH hates the shopping streets because I invariably find either shoes or handbags to buy and he thinks that I have more than enough of both 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is also the lovely Paseo del Parque just across the street from the port gates.  And at the western end of the park and across another street there are more gardens.

Our shuttle bus dropped us at (I think) a plaza called Marina? very close to the eastern end of the  gardens and to the historic centre.  There was also Tourist Info there.We paid for the shuttle as we were docked at the furthest location from the port gates.

Lots to see and do in Malaga, so for a first visit you should find enough to fill your day without leaving the city.  Actually too much,  so you need to read about the city attractions to help you decide which interest you most.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

And at the western end of the park and across another street there are more gardens.

16 hours ago, edinburgher said:

very close to the eastern end of the  gardens and to the historic centre.

OOPS Senior moment. 

Only now noticed I confused eastern and western not once but twice.

. Substitute eastern for western on the first quote, and western for eastern on the second.

• Like 1

another vote for the Car and Fashion museum. From there it's a short walk to the beach where there are a few "espetos" bars selling freshly grilled sardines. 

Another great musuem is the museum of crystal and glass, quite small and a labout of love from the British owner  https://www.museovidrioycristalmalaga.com/

There's also a wonderful sherry bar https://antiguacasadeguardia.com/

We have walked between the port and the center of town a few times.  It is a nice walk, but quite long.  Into the heart of town it is about 2 miles.  The good news is that it is flat, you have a shopping area (with food venues) close to the port, and a nice walk along the coast line in a park-like setting (once you get out of the port area).  Many cruise lines also have shuttle buses and there are also some public bus lines.  

Some brave souls will usually try to walk all the way up the hill to the castle (Gibralfaro).  It is a fun port for walkers.  Otherwise, DIY folks can ask for help to figure out the local bus system.   We are not HoHo fans (you spend half the day waiting for buses) but that is also an option.

Hank

We did the Alhambra Tour during our Malaga cruise stop . This is a full day tour which is usually offered by your cruise ship shore excursion. If this tour is too long, Malaga is a nice city to walk around and has many other attractions

Edited by cfkm1

On 7/20/2023 at 2:00 AM, Hlitner said:

Some brave souls will usually try to walk all the way up the hill to the castle (Gibralfaro).

No need to climb up, as there is an elevator to take you up the easy way,found  in the street which backs the Town Hall.The entrance is quite tricky to find as it is inset within a wall, but on our visit it was flanked by two large potted plants on the pavement outside.  Regardless, it is directly behind the Town hall, an easy and flat walk from the port gates, or from a shuttle drop off point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, edinburgher said:

No need to climb up, as there is an elevator to take you up the easy way,found  in the street which backs the Town Hall.The entrance is quite tricky to find as it is inset within a wall, but on our visit it was flanked by two large potted plants on the pavement outside.  Regardless, it is directly behind the Town hall, an easy and flat walk from the port gates, or from a shuttle drop off point.

Hmmmm.  I suppose the same folks who use an elevator to down one floor in a ship would love that hidden elevator :).  But seriously, at our ole age we might look for that elevator when we get back to Malaga. We thought it was walk or a vehicle/bus.

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hmmmm.  I suppose the same folks who use an elevator to down one floor in a ship would love that hidden elevator :).

We don't use elevators on ships at all, but when faced with a steep uphill climb to any location higher up, we always look for a bus or elevator or any other means to get us up to whatever it is although we do always walk down.

We were slightly disappointed with the Malaga Alcazabar, but had been spoiled with visits to the one in Seville and two visits to the Alhambra Palace.  It wasn't awful though, just lacked the wow factor of the other two as we had expected a little more than we found there.

An internet search should find the elevator info before your next visit.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Thanks edinburgher, always helpful. I will share this good news with my husband as we were planning to do the long walk when we are in Malaga later this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Thanks edinburgher, always helpful. I will share this good news with my husband as we were planning to do the long walk when we are in Malaga later this year.

Just in time then! It certainly saves a   steep walk. Had picked up on it when reading Tripadvisor reviews then googled to get info on actual location.

Thanks for acknowledging as not everyone does.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

Malaga has a lot going for it and makes a great DIY day.  I have really enjoyed the Picasso museum and the old fashioned bars in the centre make a great stop (see photo).    There are other attractions which will fill the day.  However ….

If you have never been to Granada and seen the Alhambra Palace you can do it from Malaga.  Due to the distance and difficulties getting tickets I would only consider it on a guided tour.  It is quite special though.  

Ronda is also quite special and well worth a day trip and I think that you could do this DIY if your ship stops for a full day.  

P4160077.thumb.jpeg.90f4a9b1b43719dda915db3ec9f82b35.jpeg

19 hours ago, edinburgher said:

Just in time then! It certainly saves a   steep walk. Had picked up on it when reading Tripadvisor reviews then googled to get info on actual location.

My husband said thanks though he naively thought he might want a good walk. I suggested he look at a topographical map and he changed his mind 😁. Especially since I had also booked a walking food tour for a few hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 12:04 PM, edinburgher said:

Could you provide some more information about where to find the elevator and wherevit does take one?

On the web I only see an elevator to the Alcazabar but none to the Gibralfaro.

9 hours ago, carlmm said:

On the web I only see an elevator to the Alcazabar but none to the Gibralfaro.

The Gibralfaro (castle) is connected to the Alcazabar by a walkway. You can choose to visit only one or both.A combined ticked will be cheaper than two separate entries.  Maybe read Tripadvisor reviews and other online descriptions before your visit to help you decide before arriving at the ticket booth.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, carlmm said:
On 7/23/2023 at 11:04 AM, edinburgher said:

Could you provide some more information about where to find the elevator and wherevit does take one?

The information on where to find it is in post #19. Described in the quote on this post.

If looking for the Town Hall on a Malaga map, the Spanish word is Ayuntamiento.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1