Carry On Size and Embarkation Time

I've been doing a little bit of research about carrying on our bags at Port Everglades, and from what I read in the forum is that as long as the luggage will fit through the scanner that there is no size limit, except for what you can handle on your own.  From all accounts the x-ray machine at the port will accept bags 24" wide and 9" tall.  The bags we would like to carry on can probably be described as medium checked bag and are 24" long not counting the wheels, the width and height are normal.  Just wondering if anyone has brought this sized bag and any experiences.  It's difficult to find luggage just a little bigger than 21" and not gigantic.  Most of the videos I've watched with people embarking at Port Everglades everyone seems to be carrying on standard 20" or 21" luggage with a backpack.  Not sure if the RCI staff or security will turn us away with a slightly larger bag.   

I understand that we'll have to cart around our luggage until the rooms are opened, so I'm wondering if there is any harm is just requesting a later embarkation time so that we can bring our luggage directly to the stateroom.   Originally, I had purchased the UDP, but we decided to just make some individual reservations for the restaurants and times we wanted.   Is there anything else we're going to miss by not rushing to get on the ship as soon as possible?   We're about 45 minutes from the port, so we're not flying in or staying at a hotel, and could just as easily get there for 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. as 11:00 a.m.  From what I read, a lot of people like to get onboard early to explore and have lunch at WJ or another venue.   Since we won't be making reservations for specialty dining, and won't be reserving iFly, NorthStar, or the FlowRider, SkyPad or Rock climbing, is there anything else we need to get onboard to reserve?  I'm wondering about entertainment.    Also wondering about crowds.  It would seem like early would be a rush, but later things may ease up, but I have no idea.  Any thoughts would be great.  Thank you!

Edited by Joe33472

There really isnt a size limitation for carry on bags. I've seen a few wrestling full sized bags they have to pick up and put on the conveyor.  If you can easily handle I'd say ok. 5 bags juggling and holding up the line I'm not a fan of but I've seen some bigger bags than what you are describing. 

11 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

Any thoughts would be great. 

Your bags will fit in the xay. Go later (after 1PM) and go directly to your cabin with the luggage (you'll miss most of the rush). I assume you are talking about Odyssey, in which case only the show in 270 is bookable.

9 minutes ago, Joe33472 said:

I've been doing a little bit of research about carrying on our bags at Port Everglades, and from what I read in the forum is that as long as the luggage will fit through the scanner that there is no size limit, except for what you can handle on your own.  From all accounts the x-ray machine at the port will accept bags 24" wide and 9" tall.  The bags we would like to carry on can probably be described as medium checked bag and are 24" long not counting the wheels, the width and height are normal.  Just wondering if anyone has brought this sized bag and any experiences.  It's difficult to find luggage just a little bigger than 21" and not gigantic.  Most of the videos I've watched with people embarking at Port Everglades everyone seems to be carrying on standard 20" or 21" luggage with a backpack.  Not sure if the RCI staff or security will turn us away with a slightly larger bag.   

I understand that we'll have to cart around our luggage until the rooms are opened, so I'm wondering if there is any harm is just requesting a later embarkation time so that we can bring our luggage directly to the stateroom.   Originally, I had purchased the UDP, but we decided to just make some individual reservations for the restaurants and times we wanted.   Is there anything else we're going to miss by not rushing to get on the ship as soon as possible?   We're about 45 minutes from the port, so we're not flying in or staying at a hotel, and could just as easily get there for 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. as 11:00 a.m.  From what I read, a lot of people like to get onboard early to explore and have lunch at WJ or another venue.   Since we won't be making reservations for specialty dining, and won't be reserving iFly, NorthStar, or the FlowRider, SkyPad or Rock climbing, is there anything else we need to get onboard to reserve?  I'm wondering about entertainment.    Also wondering about crowds.  It would seem like early would be a rush, but later things may ease up, but I have no idea.  Any thoughts would be great.  Thank you!

Your bags should fit with no problem. A later embarkation time, 3pm +,  would probably be no lines at all.  Arriving after your checkin time is also no problem. Only one show to reserve on Quantum Class, and both times we sailed Quantum Class there was no checking at the door for reservations,  and you can do that after you board. No crowds for lunch with a later boarding time. 

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

There really isn't a size limit that I know of.

The security screeners would rather have the bag fit through the xray and most customers would likely not want their bags opened for all to see in case it doesn't fit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The security screeners would rather have the bag fit through the xray and most customers would likely not want their bags opened for all to see in case it doesn't fit.

LOL you mean they don't want people to see their rum runners or boxed wine? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Joe33472 said:

I paid for my 1st day so want to be on the ship the minute it opens. We drive also and get there by 10 so we can get on as soon as it opens.   Always check our bags, when cabins open at 1ish, they are normally down the hall, I go get them and get unpacked. 

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

I paid for my 1st day so want to be on the ship the minute it opens. We drive also and get there by 10 so we can get on as soon as it opens.   Always check our bags, when cabins open at 1ish, they are normally down the hall, I go get them and get unpacked. 

Is this pre or post pandemic? After they started giving appointments I haven't seen an embarkation time earlier than 11:00am. If I were to bring only carry ons like the OP stated I would get an appointment closer to 1pm so I wouldn't have to carry my luggage around until 1pm, but that's just me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Your bags will fit in the xay. Go later (after 1PM) and go directly to your cabin with the luggage (you'll miss most of the rush). I assume you are talking about Odyssey, in which case only the show in 270 is bookable.

Exactly!  We're on the Odyssey for a TA and really don't need extra time on board.   Great to know that there is only one show that is bookable, so definitely no need to rush on the ship.  I think we'll aim for a 1:00 p.m. appointment and hopefully be able to bring our bags right to the stateroom.   Sounds like a good plan.  Good also to know that our 24" bags won't be shunned away by security.  

Edited by Joe33472

2 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

I understand that we'll have to cart around our luggage until the rooms are opened, so I'm wondering if there is any harm is just requesting a later embarkation time so that we can bring our luggage directly to the stateroom.

If you want to carry your own luggage and be able to take it straight to your stateroom, this is a good plan.  If you choose a 1:00 or later time, you'll probably be able to walk straight to your room.  Rooms will almost certainly be open by 1:30, and it'll take you some time to find your room.  

Is there anything else we're going to miss by not rushing to get on the ship as soon as possible? 

Those first hours are the best and the worst.  Being among the very first to board means having the ship essentially to yourself ... but an hour later the ship starts to feel rather crowded because EVERYONE is out in the public areas.  

is there anything else we need to get onboard to reserve? 

Depends upon what ship you're boarding.  We prefer the mid-sized ships -- Freedom, Independence, Mariner, for example -- and show reservations really aren't necessary on those ships.  If you're sailinga mega-ship, it might be different.  

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The problem is lugging everything around until your cabin opens unless you embark later in the day. 

Assuming you're able-bodied and packed wisely, this really isn't a big deal.  Your luggage almost certainly is on wheels, and you probably have only one tote /backpack, which you can slide over your suitcase handle.  

On the other hand, I see some people with multiple large suitcases + multiple tote bags + a 12-pack of sodas carried separately -- I agree it'd be hard for those people. 

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Is this pre or post pandemic? After they started giving appointments I haven't seen an embarkation time earlier than 11:00am. If I were to bring only carry ons like the OP stated I would get an appointment closer to 1pm so I wouldn't have to carry my luggage around until 1pm, but that's just me. 

We've sailed several times post-pandemic.  We always get the first boarding time, so our luggage is "turned in early", and it's always been in our hallway as soon as the doors to the staterooms open.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I get packing wisely but who wants to carry their suitcase (wise or not so wise) to the pool, jacuzzi or spa?  If I ever did carry my own luggage I would do so when the cabins are open after 1pm. 

I didn't realize until I was reading something this morning that if we boarded early that we wouldn't be able to drop our bags off in the stateroom.   We had been planning a cruise on Celebrity and they allow passengers to drop their bags even if the stateroom isn't ready.   Celebrity cancelled the TA cruise we were book on, so it's been a little bit of a learning curve since I did a lot of research already for Celebrity.  

Definitely agree that it doesn't make much sense to rush to carry on bags just to lug the bags around the ship until the stateroom is ready.  Sounds like a bad plan actually.   And since we're not in a hotel or have some other time constraint, I think the plan is try to get an appointment around 1:00 p.m. so we can roll the bags to our stateroom once we get through check-in and security.  I just wasn't sure if we'd be missing anything by boarding later.  Doesn't sound like a later appointment will be a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

yes, boarding starts about 11.  We get there by 10, go to the suite lounge and then get on the ship the minute boarding starts.  Our last Freedom out of Miami, we were on the ship at 10:45.  I check my bags, so only carry on my tote with our valuables and our backpack with what we need at the pool for the day.

Same at FLL.  We get there by 10, go to the suite area, and typically the ship opens at 10:45 so we get on right away.  

Edited by karena1