Food NOT offered on Carnival

Drew B 58

8 minutes ago, Number12 said:

How about some good hotdogs at Guys?

I may have imagined this so someone correct me if I am wrong but I vaguely seem to recall that Guys used to have some sort of hot dog or sausage/brat option when it was first introduced way back when. Im not much of a hotdog or sausage/brat type of fella so I wouldn't have ordered it but it seems like it used to be an option. 

3 hours ago, sunonfire said:

For the MDR:   Pasta as you like. Select pasta, sauce and protein. There would be numerous combinations with just a select few ingredients.

Have you ever ordered a create-your-own-omelet  during Sea Day Brunch? It takes much longer to get than a standard menu item, and holds up the rest of your table's food. 

I don't know why it would be any different with the pasta equivalent at dinner. 

Besides, you can get it at lunch up in Cucina del Capitano. 

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I have paid almost as much for a Five Guys meal as I have for dinner in Cucina del Capitano. 

That is why their burgers are so good. Lol. Paying for the quality. And their cajun fries are the best!

18 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I honestly can't think of anything.  There has always been a good variety of food to choose from.

i agree.  Have always found more food that I wanted to try than time to actually try it all.  Maybe next cruise I can get something from the Blue Iguna...  still haven't tried breakfast or lunch there.

1 minute ago, vwrestler171 said:

It amazes me how many people want the same food they can get at home onboard the ships.

Its just a fun "what if" thread. No need to take it so seriously.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nycruise1 said:

Have seen this on posted Thanksgiving dinner menus, but have not cruised then so never tried it. 🙁

Exactly!  So they have a recipe for it and are able to produce it to scale!  So I’d love to see it on a regular menu…

35 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

It amazes me how many people want the same food they can get at home onboard the ships.

Wouldn’t “food the can get at home” encompass ALL food?  I’m not aware of any dishes that exist exclusively at sea…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Drew B 58 said:

Wouldn’t “food the can get at home” encompass ALL food?  I’m not aware of any dishes that exist exclusively at sea…

You know what I'm saying.  There was a complaint on John Healds page that they couldn't easily get fried chicken, chicken fingers, and other common American fast food type items onboard.  Complained about the food options that you would find in the ports that are visited.   

54 minutes ago, vwrestler171 said:

You know what I'm saying.  There was a complaint on John Healds page that they couldn't easily get fried chicken, chicken fingers, and other common American fast food type items onboard.  Complained about the food options that you would find in the ports that are visited.   

I don’t really intend for this thread to be COMPLAINING about food that isn’t served.  More to be suggesting things that may be enjoyed.

To explain, my choice was pecan pie.  It’s one of my favorite desserts.  Yes, I could get it at home.  I rarely do, though, because I rarely pay for any desserts at home (save for maybe keeping some ice cream in my freezer).  I could also get apple pie or chocolate cake or cheesecake or even crème brûlée or tiramisu at home, but they also offer those on Carnival.  I’m just saying that I, personally, would rather have them offer pecan pie, whether in addition to or instead of any of those choices…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vwrestler171 said:

…and I would add that the fact that Shaq’s Big Chicken is an EXTREMELY popular venue on several Carnival ships suggests that fried chicken/chicken fingers is something that a lot of guests enjoy.  Carnival should know that!

On 7/6/2023 at 7:41 PM, geovet said:

When I saw the title, I thought that there was another cutback. No more food.yikes!

And there's a limit of 1 unopened bag of any "food stuff" per passenger  - can you imagine?!

No telling what would discovered in the shampoo bottles.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, Drew B 58 said:

What is one dish you haven’t seen served on Carnival that you think they should add. Bonus points if it is something you think would have broad appeal and which would not be prohibitively difficult or expensive to execute.

I’ll go first:  pecan pie!

On my last two Carnival cruises on the Vista they had something they actually called "pecan pie". Unfortunately, it was NOTHING like what any Texan would think a pecan pie actually is. It was more like a dry, grainy, cake with bits of pecan on top. Pretty sure it had absolutely no corn syrup in it. Absolutely terrible and a total waste of pecans 😞

I actually did a post about 2 years ago asking if ANY cruise-line had real pecan pie (the Royal Carribbean "pecan pie" is just as bad and flavorless) and never found one that did. Only thing I could come up with is that corn syrup is either too expensive or too messy for a ship. I can't think of a single corn syrup based dessert on any of my 50+ cruises. 

The moral to this story is that no matter what wonderful dish you can come up with, some bean-counter in Miami or Seattle can screw it up. Regional food differences are also an issue. Look no further than the stale, cake-like donuts that get served at breakfast. On one cruise I was joking with the Indian head chef and asked him why the donuts were so bad on all the cruise ships. He was "huhh. Our donuts are great. When we cruise out of New Jersey they love them. Not sure why everyone from Texas complains so much.". I did another cruise on the same ship two weeks later and brought a dozen Krispy Kreme and gave to him. His comment was "Wow!! These are fantastic!! I really wished we could make something like this. Unfortunately, I can only make what corporate tells me to make with the ingredients that they send."

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 3:35 AM, nycruise1 said:

Have seen this on posted Thanksgiving dinner menus, but have not cruised then so never tried it. 🙁

I love dates, they have prunes, but dates are yummier as an additional breakfast fruit.  Grapes would also be nice.

As someone who's in the Date industry, hearing you say that makes me happy.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:23 PM, Number12 said:

How about some good hotdogs at Guys?

The ones at the deli are really good. And the fries are better.

I'd like to see an expansion of the Street Eats to more ships.