How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

My DH bought a new tux, shoes, shirt etc for our Silver Dawn cruise a couple of weeks ago and there was no more than 25 men in tux’s on formal evening.    He now doesn’t even want to take it for our next cruise in September  so it’s been a total waste of money.  I find it such a shame the dress code has gone so casual.  

7 minutes ago, Tudorcruisers said:

My DH bought a new tux, shoes, shirt etc for our Silver Dawn cruise a couple of weeks ago and there was no more than 25 men in tux’s on formal evening.    He now doesn’t even want to take it for our next cruise in September  so it’s been a total waste of money.  I find it such a shame the dress code has gone so casual.  

It is not a waste of money and he shouldn't bring his own standards down to the level of others.

He should wear it like the other twenty four Gentleman did.

You can look like you came from the garden any day of the week.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tudorcruisers said:

So because he was in the Top Ten Percent of best dressed men on the ship, he doesn't want to do it again?  And because he spent the money, has the entire kit, to also be in the top category of best dressed men on the next cruise, he doesn't want to do it?

I would cajole him into wearing it again.  Men (most at least) really do look their best in a tuxedo.  He's spent the money, so use it and get the benefit of it.  Mingle with the other crème de la crème on the ship, and make very subtle non-approving gestures at the great unwashed masses in their "elegant country club casual" or whatever it is that they are wearing.  

😉

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

So because he was in the Top Ten Percent of best dressed men on the ship, he doesn't want to do it again?  And because he spent the money, has the entire kit, to also be in the top category of best dressed men on the next cruise, he doesn't want to do it?

I would cajole him into wearing it again.  Men (most at least) really do look their best in a tuxedo.  He's spent the money, so use it and get the benefit of it.  Mingle with the other crème de la crème on the ship, and make very subtle non-approving gestures at the great unwashed masses in their "elegant country club casual" or whatever it is that they are wearing.  

😉

Well said

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tudorcruisers said:

What were the other gentlemen wearing?  Were most in suits or dark trousers, blazers, ties?  I wouldn’t call that attire casual or country club casual at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I would cajole him into wearing it again.  

😉

Tell him they'll be having a contest for the best-dressed man on board.  Or a special invite-only James Bond excursion, but only for those who are properly attired. 

4 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Tell him they'll be having a contest for the best-dressed man on board.  Or a special invite-only James Bond excursion, but only for those who are properly attired. 

Dolcediva:

We are having amazing storms…yesterday I think a tornado touched down. Once again we have an infinity pool/yard. Hope all ok by you

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

What were the other gentlemen wearing?  Were most in suits or dark trousers, blazers, ties?  I wouldn’t call that attire casual or country club casual at all.

Hard to imagine that people could get this worked up about the dress-code (either way!) for this to continue to be such a topic for discussion.  In all of my time cruising I don't think I have ever cared one bit what other strangers are wearing. 

Any day on any cruise is better than a day at work, I guess I just like to focus on the good times at hand. It also could be the copious amounts of champagne that I am usually drinking.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, Observer said:

You can definitely get by with a sport coat and tie.  On formal nights, simply dine at Hot Rocks (casual) or LaTerrazza (where informal --jacket but no tie needed) is accepted on formal nights.  Formal nights are of course infrequent.  I suggest you make reservations for LaTerrazza for formal nights.

Thanks - I will be doing the same for our port intensive Mediterranean trip. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

So when is this traipsing around Bondi Beach  happening ???  😮

January. 😎

Mmmmm ... you might think it is a bit warm,  you better leave the Loubies at home,   you need some buggie smugglers and thongs  !

And for those that dont know what I am  talking about =

"The term “budgie smuggler” refers to a small Australian parrot, the budgerigar, that wearers appear to be concealing in their swimwear."

Thongs  (flip flops to  americans )

Wave Zone Men's Thongs - Blue

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

Thongs  (flip flops to  americans )

image.png.5d0c455f5813827ea7c0c4919e9a3662.png

When I was a kid here in the USA, those WERE thongs.  Something definitely changed while I wasn't looking:

Thong.thumb.jpg.1bf91e36f3a485f11cb69d44f163d4f9.jpg

Edited by canderson
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bitob said:

There is no dress code whatsoever on this ship

jeans and sweatshirts in dining venues and after 6 pm everywhere 

Would be curious to know, if asked politely, why the Hotel Manager is operating in this mode for this cruise.

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Would be curious to know, if asked politely, why the Hotel Manager is operating in this mode for this cruise.

No idea. I mentioned it to two managers. I tried to see hotel manager but he was out and about. I have a few other issues too. I plan to try tomorrow 

I had a tour of a Silversea ship this week and asked about the dress code, I was told there is typically one formal night every 7 days, tux or suit with tie required for the Main dining room, Informal nights were no tie is required and Casual trousers & shirt. No jeans or shorts. They said you can use the grill if this doesn’t suit!

I’d like to try Silversea but I’ll be giving it a miss until their dress code is relaxed. Being told I can use the grill on the deck if I’m not appropriately dressed isn’t a selling point. When Silversea joins the 21st century I’ll give them a try. 

• Like 6