How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

On 7/29/2023 at 1:44 PM, Port Power said:

I finished packing tonight and have included lots of dressy outfits plus a definitely formal dress.  Part of the reason I booked Silversea is because I want to dress nicely both during the day as well as at night.  My cruise on Silver Dawn is also a partial charter by an Australian company I’ve travelled with several times and I know most of the guests dress well, so I expect the dress standard will be high.  Even on an expedition cruise in the Kimberley the casual dress standard was pretty smart.

Can you be specific which dates your Dawn cruise is with a partial charter?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Can you be specific which dates your Dawn cruise is with a partial charter?

Next week, August 6-16.  This charter is neither a club, business event or sporting group.  Just a variety of people from around Australia who often travel together because the travel company organises such fabulous itineraries.  

We had a similar group on our expedition cruise on the Wind in May around the British Isles.  They blended in with the general cohort very well and there were none of issues that have been observed (and dreaded) about partial charters.

On board the Silver Moon. We had 2 Formal Nights and there were a number of gentleman that wore sports jackets with and without ties. I even saw a number of men wearing jackets with no ties, and some just long sleeve dress shirts. This was at the Atlantide and La Terrazza.

5 hours ago, Port Power said:

Next week, August 6-16.  This charter is neither a club, business event or sporting group.  Just a variety of people from around Australia who often travel together because the travel company organises such fabulous itineraries.  

Bon Voyage! I'll be on the next voyage out of Copenhagen.

6 hours ago, Port Power said:

I presume you mean the TA with the same initials as this site CC. If so they don't always blend in and we had one cruise on the Explorer which they dominated and one on the Cloud where they were somewhat disruptive.

However 2 other cruises where they did blend in.

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

I presume you mean the TA with the same initials as this site CC. If so they don't always blend in and we had one cruise on the Explorer which they dominated and one on the Cloud where they were somewhat disruptive.

In in the Arctic back in 2010 out of 98 on the ship, 43 were with that group. Their travel director was useless and spent his time talking to a very select group.At least the young doctor with them seemed to be more personable. We had considered one of these trips but after seeing this group we vowed never ever. 

42 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

In in the Arctic back in 2010 out of 98 on the ship, 43 were with that group. Their travel director was useless and spent his time talking to a very select group.At least the young doctor with them seemed to be more personable. We had considered one of these trips but after seeing this group we vowed never ever. 

On our Northern europe cruise on the Cloud they certainly clashed at times with other passenger's wishes. But that didn't stop them wanting my services when they found out I was an Aussie doctor. most got politely told you have your own doctor and I am on vacation.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

No, not them. This company have never used Silver Explorer. This constellation is their first time on Dawn but they may have been to Antarctica earlier this year. I have also just booked their “Arctic” tour next June which includes Silver Wind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

On our Northern europe cruise on the Cloud they certainly clashed at times with other passenger's wishes. But that didn't stop them wanting my services when they found out I was an Aussie doctor. most got politely told you have your own doctor and I am on vacation.

I know who you mean now!  Oh, no, not them.  The owner of my tour company did actually used to work for that one, but went out on his own.  Well, along with his wife and supported by a few others who also left that company.  Dan does tours really well and is not as expensive, but is really, really good. I did my first Around the World on a 747 with Dan in 2019, and here I am now in Stockholm with a group of 29. The guest doctor is here for land only and won’t be joining the ship.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Port Power said:

I know who you mean now!  Oh, no, not them.  The owner of my tour company did actually used to work for that one, but went out on his own.  Well, along with his wife and supported by a few others who also left that company.  Dan does tours really well and is not as expensive, but is really, really good. I did my first Around the World on a 747 with Dan in 2019, and here I am now in Stockholm with a group of 29. The guest doctor is here for land only and won’t be joining the ship.

Which Around the World tour did you take?  I’m about to embark on my second ATW with Four Seasons.  

45 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Which Around the World tour did you take?  I’m about to embark on my second ATW with Four Seasons.  

It was an “Around the World” Journey in a Boeing 747 chartered from Qantas.  It was absolutely fantastic!   The catering was made to order and Champagne and Baileys flowed.  In a couple of remote airports our aircraft had crowds out to see it.  Qantas does not fly to Easter Island, but there the Red Kangaroo tail sat for all to see when we visited.  The retiring of 747s has caused some difficulties, but of course the mothballing of most large aircraft during COVID put a damper on all such wonderful travel.  Hopefully, if the Constellations align next year, an annual ATW trip will be back on in 2026. 🤞

That must have been fun to have all that space on a big jumbo.  We’ll be going to Easter Island on this trip as well.  So looking forward to it!

I see what you did there.  Hope the Constellations align for you!

Edited by Gourmet Gal

On 7/7/2023 at 4:18 PM, dusababy said:

Why is it so hard to question and comply with a long established, reasonable dress code that elevates ladies and gentlemen for an evening or two of an adult dining experience ??

yes, i agree.  there are so many other lines that dont have dress codes.  why book on a line that does? in april there were people at dinner in jeans.  such a sad state we are in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lilant said:

yes, i agree.  there are so many other lines that dont have dress codes.  why book on a line that does? in april there were people at dinner in jeans.  such a sad state we are in.

Several of us were discussing this over dinner tonight.  We all brought at least one formal dress and several “restaurant” or cocktail dresses.  So there were six women who choose Silversea because of the expected high dress standard.  Only one English lady (not going on the cruise) still seemed to think S/S is casual.

🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lilant said:

I book based on ship and itinerary first and foremost. No regard to dress code because no matter what it is we will be able to comply in the minimally required way. Jacket for my DH but no tie for example.

Do you seriously pick your cruise based on the dress code? Based on your signature it seems that you pick a variety of lines - including those that are more casual. 

Edited by tinaincc
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

I book based on ship and itinerary first and foremost.

I booked my upcoming cruise because it goes where I want it to go (2 deep fjords, Bergen, Alesund, the Lofoten Islands and the North Cape). It is also of a size that I can deal with, I would never cruise with more passengers than this. The dress code will be a nuisance, but I will comply as much as I can.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Do you seriously pick your cruise based on the dress code?

We pick the line based upon a number of factors all related to the overall style of the line ... includes accommodations, service, food, and yes, a number of 'ambience factors'.  That would include the dress code, lack of yapping on the PA system all day, and others that, for us, change whole the vibe of the onboard experience.

Then we work on itinerary.  We need to enjoy the experience of 'getting there' as much as the 'there', especially on longer voyages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Kray’s wore sharp suits and would have met the strict SS formal dress code. Times have moved on and formal needs to evolve into upmarket, stylish and on trend. With the extra capacity to fill, formal will become optional on all cruise’s, irrespective of length. After all, behaviour and manners are more important than a tie.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, difranco said:

The Kray’s wore sharp suits and would have met the strict SS formal dress code. Times have moved on and formal needs to evolve into upmarket, stylish and on trend. With the extra capacity to fill, formal will become optional on all cruise’s, irrespective of length. After all, behaviour and manners are more important than a tie.

Does Silversea really have extra capacity that they need to fill? We had to book long ago for the 2025 World Cruise, and at the price we paid, we expect everyone to dress well on formal nights. Tuxedos and gowns should not be required on formal nights, but dresses and jackets with a tie should be.

After six on non formal nights,  jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, tank tops, ball caps, shorts, and skorts (as well as pajamas, bath robes, swim suits, and swim suit coverups) should be things that you only wear in your cabin, and not to any dining venue or bar, not even breakfast. If you want to dress casually, there's room service i your cabin, and a bottle of liquor or wine in your cabin can also be arranged.

What we have found is that behavior and manners are also ignored by those who dress inappropriately. Rule breakers ignore all rules, and not just the dress code. This isn't limited to one cruise line, or only cruise lines, but to other aspects of life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

What we have found is that behavior and manners are also ignored by those who dress inappropriately. Rule breakers ignore all rules, and not just the dress code. This isn't limited to one cruise line, or only cruise lines, but to other aspects of life.

You have found a rather broad brush to describe people who prefer not to dress to the nines on vacation.  Sorry to hear your statistical cohort of the poorly dressed have such bad manners.  

There isn’t really a dress code on the SS website but that verbiage is used on the daily fact sheets so there could be quite a few pax who don’t realize they’re actually the dreaded “rule-breakers” until they’re onboard.  I doubt very seriously they all have poor manners or behavior nor do they break all rules.  On the other hand, boy, do I know some insanely rich, well-dressed but highly obnoxious people who truly think rules don’t apply.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I booked my upcoming cruise because it goes where I want it to go (2 deep fjords, Bergen, Alesund, the Lofoten Islands and the North Cape). It is also of a size that I can deal with, I would never cruise with more passengers than this. The dress code will be a nuisance, but I will comply as much as I can.

Same! And I won’t give two thoughts to what others are wearing!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Does Silversea really have extra capacity that they need to fill? We had to book long ago for the 2025 World Cruise, and at the price we paid, we expect everyone to dress well on formal nights. Tuxedos and gowns should not be required on formal nights, but dresses and jackets with a tie should be.

After six on non formal nights,  jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, tank tops, ball caps, shorts, and skorts (as well as pajamas, bath robes, swim suits, and swim suit coverups) should be things that you only wear in your cabin, and not to any dining venue or bar, not even breakfast. If you want to dress casually, there's room service i your cabin, and a bottle of liquor or wine in your cabin can also be arranged.

seriously, in this day and age, a tie should have no place, in relation to behavior, manners, appropriate dress etc etc. They are a total anachronism...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

There isn’t really a dress code on the SS website

Well, actually there are "suggestions."

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin on board Silver Spirit, Kaiseki on board Muse, Moon and Dawn. Dining at The Grill and Spaccanapoli is optional casual all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Please note: On 7-day sailings, the formal night is always optional; guests may choose to dress informally, but a jacket is required for gentlemen.

Evening Dress Code*   
Number of Cruise Days -> Formal -> Informal -> Casual
4 -> 1 -> 2 -> 1
5 -> 1 -> 3 -> 1
6 -> 1 -> 3 -> 2
7 -> 1 -> 3 -> 3
8 -> 1 -> 4 -> 3
9 -> 1 -> 5 -> 3
10 -> 2 -> 5 -> 3
11 -> 2 -> 6 -> 3
12 -> 2 -> 6 -> 4
13 -> 2 -> 7 -> 4
14 -> 3 -> 7 -> 4
15 -> 3 -> 8 -> 4
16 -> 3 -> 8 -> 5
17 -> 3 -> 9 -> 5
18 -> 3 -> 10 -> 5
19 -> 3 -> 10 -> 6
20 -> 3 -> 11 -> 6

*This information is for your guidance only and is subject to change.

• Like 2