Cruise ports

Wannacruise24

This is my first time booking a cruise and I have a question about the ports of call. The cruise lines list ports of call and I have been researching, so that I can budget for excursions, etc. When researching the cruise port listed vs the actual docking port, some of them seem to be quiet a distance apart. My question is this- do the cruise line transport you to the port of call listed on their site, so that you can then pick up an excursion or do your own thing, or do you have to take an excursion or find your own transportation to those places? As an example, Seville, Spain is a port of call on the site, but when researching on google earth, it seems that the docking port is almost 100km away. There are several other ports with similar distances and I'm just wondering what to expect. Can someone who has cruised the Mediterranean pass along some feedback? It would be greatly appreciated by this newbe. Thanks

There _may_ be excursions offered to the named city from the actual port, but they are not always a good value when cost and time are considered.

One case I am familiar with is LeHavre [a port on the English Channel] is sometimes listed as a port visit for Paris. On a 12 hour shore excursion, you typically have less than three hours in Paris - the rest is on a bus to and from the city.

There are a number of destinations that are a distance from the actual port.  Berlin and Venice also come to mind, Florence…

When doing research for excursions, visit the Ports of Call boards here.  But I also recommend you get a copy of Rick Steves’ Mediterranean Cruise Ports.  It’s in third or fourth edition.  He took his expertise in budget touring in Europe and applied it to cruising.  He tells you what there is to do in the port, how to do it, and how much you can do in the time available.  He also has one for Scandinavian and Northern Europe ports.  On his website he has free audio tours you can download to your device and basic maps you can print out.

In researching other cruise travel books, I see there are a couple other reputable authors with cruise port guides,  but not having read or used them, I am wary of recommending them.  If you have a large bookstore in your area you might go and browse to see what might suit you best.  
  For some ports the cruise line will offer an ‘on your own’ tour, where they will transport you to a central point and give you a fixed amount of time to do your own touring.  This is often offered for Florence.  
  Once you have booked your cruise, go to the ROLL CALL section here and see if there is a roll call for your sailing.  That’s where you can connect with other CC members cruising with you, and they will be forming groups for independent tours.

EM

having

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wannacruise24 said:

This is my first time booking a cruise and I have a question about the ports of call. The cruise lines list ports of call and I have been researching, so that I can budget for excursions, etc. When researching the cruise port listed vs the actual docking port, some of them seem to be quiet a distance apart. My question is this- do the cruise line transport you to the port of call listed on their site, so that you can then pick up an excursion or do your own thing, or do you have to take an excursion or find your own transportation to those places? As an example, Seville, Spain is a port of call on the site, but when researching on google earth, it seems that the docking port is almost 100km away. There are several other ports with similar distances and I'm just wondering what to expect. Can someone who has cruised the Mediterranean pass along some feedback? It would be greatly appreciated by this newbe. Thanks

The practice of naming port calls after the nearest most well known city is for the convenience of folks who don’t know their geography. (What a shame).

A great example is “Rome.” The city itself is nowhere near the ocean and is about an hour drive from the actual port at Civitavecchia. Similarly, “Santiago” is not the real “embark port” for Chile. Instead you’d head to one of its major ports like Valparaiso (approx an hour drive to this coastal city). 

• Like 2

One other item: If the “cruise bug bites you” and you want to start doing more adventurous cruises, do a one way and/or multisegment cruise that starts and ends in different interesting ports where you can add a land stay at either or both ends.

Not only will you get the most out of your airfare. You’ll also have the necessary time to delve deeper into the “sense of place” including its true nature.

One of our domestic US one way favorites is SF to NY - 3 weeks via the Panama Canal (perhaps the two most cosmopolitan US coastal cities with excellent museums, performing arts, ethnic foods et al.)

And, if you do a “one way” abroad, consider anything that starts or ends in Cape Town (add a Safari), Lisbon, Sydney, et al. Here I also suggest that you view some of Anthony Bourdain’s old “No Reservations” (and his other) series’ shows- each focused on a particular city/region. One of our favorite 3 day land stays recreated Bourdain’s 3 day stay in Lisbon right down to each restaurant he visited. It was terrific.

Another great resource is United Airlines’ ongoing series (of many years), Three Perfect Days (found in their Hemispheres magazine).

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

There was a post on YouTube recently about a tour that someone took to Paris from I forget which port.  Five or maybe 6 hours on the bus; 2 or 3 hours in Paris which consisted of driving around Paris w/o getting off the bus which also meant that if you were on the wrong side of the bus you did not see what the guide was talking about, lunch at an obviously tourist restaurant; a short visit to the Eifel Tower; followed by a long bus trip back to the ship.  You figure out if this made any sense.

What the cuisse companies do by docking at ports that are hours from the city listed in the cruise description is called lying and taking advantage of people unlike you who have not figured out the lie.

DON

Whilst it's OK for cruise itineraries to headline cities like Hanoi or Florence or Venice or Caracas because many folk won't know have even heard of Ha Long Bai or Liverno or Ravenna or La Guaira, you certainly do have to take care - and cruise lines should but don't also always note the name of the port.

A map is a good place to start because Hanoi, Florence & Caracas are nowhere near the sea.

And a little research will tell you that large or even mid-size cruise ships are no longer permitted to dock in Venice.

Much like your own example of Cadiz / Seville.

A few small cruise ships berth in London or nearby Greenwich, a few larger ones not too far away at Tilbury.. But the vast vast majority berth in Southampton (80 miles from London) or Dover (77 miles). And they're important cos they're cruise departure ports and long-haul flights are into a London airport

Those are just a few examples. 

Not a problem with Caribbean islands, but certainly you do have to be careful about locations in Europe,& Asia and you need to check transportation to the more-distant cities.

When you find what seems to be a suitable cruise, post the cities & port names if mentioned (and times in port if mentioned) and folk here will forewarn you - and perhaps offer advice on transportation to any more-distant cities.  

No, whilst ships might offer a free shuttle from the port to the port's town centre, they don't offer even payable shuttles of any more than about 5 miles except quite expensive airport transfers.

JB 🙂

The three cruise lines we most frequent (Princess, RCI, Celebrity) name the port along with the major target city.  Like Southampton (London), or Livorno (Florence & Pisa).  I'm surprised they all don't do this.