Is the food on a a Greek cruise the same as the standard on Caribbean cruises?

budmeister

2 minutes ago, budmeister said:

We are on Celebrity, and have only ever done Caribbean cruises. We the ship menus be Greek food, as it is a tour in and out of Athens, or it be the same standard menus on Caribbean cruises?

It will be pretty much what you're used to having on Caribbean cruises.

Ok, thanks! I hoping for something different, I guess we will have to eat in Greece to enjoy Greek food! I wonder, are so many of the passengers from that U.S. that it seems appropriate to serve US cuisine on cruises that operate across the world? That seems a bit odd to me. 

2 hours ago, budmeister said:

We are on Celebrity, and have only ever done Caribbean cruises. We the ship menus be Greek food, as it is a tour in and out of Athens, or it be the same standard menus on Caribbean cruises?

Some lines offer the occasional "themed" menu eg "Greek night/Italian night/French night/Spanish night/Indian night, but not usually in the MDR or any of the speciality restaurants.

They are more commonly found in the buffet restaurants sometimes in a special area, so it is worth checking your daily newsletter for a mention,  or swinging by the buffet  once the evening menu has been posted outside, or you could ask staff if or when there may be such an evening scheduled.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, budmeister said:

I wonder, are so many of the passengers from that U.S. that it seems appropriate to serve US cuisine on cruises that operate across the world? That seems a bit odd to me. 

It also depends on the cruise line. Smaller luxury ships allow for a large degree of latitude for the chef to adapt to where the ship is. A lot of times you can go shopping with the chef at food markets in the various Greek islands etc and they make special dishes that night with everything that was purchased. 

But on the large ships like Celebrity they buy massive amounts of food in bulk across the entire line so things are much more standardized and deviations (or the ability to order off menu) are minimal. 

I was recently on Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas for B2B cruises to the Adriatic and Greek ports.  The Windjammer buffet had a different nationality theme night pretty much every night on one portion of their buffet.  Greek was one of those nights.  But the majority of the buffet was normal cruise buffet variety.   I didn't visit the MDRs.  The Specialty restaurants had their normal menu.

Our Norwegian Fjords/Iceland cruise out of Southampton had quite a few "British" menu items and our Grand Princess to Alaska had a nice selection of "Alaskan" items.  As noted above, check out the buffet for specialty evenings.  Someone posted Patters from their recent Mediterranean cruise and there was "Greek", "Mediterranean", "Italian".

9 hours ago, budmeister said:

Ok, thanks! I hoping for something different, I guess we will have to eat in Greece to enjoy Greek food! I wonder, are so many of the passengers from that U.S. that it seems appropriate to serve US cuisine on cruises that operate across the world? That seems a bit odd to me. 

Many Americans are pretty shy about trying local cuisine...I know, I am married to one. But she has gone on probably 40 international trips now in our 38 years of marriage.

The point is that American orientated cruise lines like Celebrity and about 8 or 10 others, will lean heavily on American style food to please their base. Yes, there can be one or more local themed dishes on each menu. On the other hand, many Americans don't know how many dishes they consider "American" actually have their origins elsewhere.

Viking Ocean has a destination  offerings every night on their Restaurant menu. I loved it on our Scandinavian cruise in June. 

Up next will be a Viking Greek cruise and I expect to have  lots of good Greek items to eat on board. 

Pease do eat off ship at any sidewalk cafe and have some great local food.