Viking Air

JosieCat-MN

37 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Taking a quick look at Google flights there don’t seem to be non-stops from Minneapolis-St Paul (MSP) to Zurich. There are non-stops to other European airports. The question becomes whether it is better to have the connection in the US or in Europe. (Or in Canada; there is a connection to Zurich through Toronto.) I still think it is better to fly to Zurich; from there it is just a train ride to Lausanne rather than bus and train from Basel. 

Ive been weighing that question myself.

I have an ocean cruise in October in Athens.

I live in a mid sized city where the international flight choices are 

London

Paris

Iceland (yes this seems weird...but its true), there isn't a connection to Athens from there.

My choices were

Fly to NYC, fly directly to Athens, if this flight is canceled or I miss it, I dont have another direct option for another day, now Im having to get to Europe (hub) and then on to Athens.

Fly to London or Paris, once Im there I have options, either with BA or Airfrance directly or by either taking a train (ok not to Athens...but most places) or just finding a budget airline.

If that (one a day) flight to europe gets canceled them Im basically in the same boat having to catch a flight to NYC or Charlotte or Atlanta or Boston and then make a second hop.  If its just late I can probably just catch a later flight in the hub.

Its a bit of choose your poison.  Its also worth considering what times these flights get into the city.  Usually the US to europe flight is going to land between 6a and 8a.  which is about 2-4am as far as your body is concerned.  Then having to get to the ship (either from there or on another flight) and probably still getting there before they will let you in into the room...it can make for an unhappy day if you dont sleep well on planes...and I dont.

(also as I think I touched on briefly the Athens to NYC flight gets in at like...10pm  and you're now there overnight).

23 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

We used Air Plus for both of our cruises.  In 2019 when we sailed AMS-BSL, we flew Boston--Zurich--Amsterdam, then flew home on a nonstop from Zurich to Boston (we did a DIY extension to Lucerne).

For our tulip cruise next April, we booked non stops both ways, BOS--AMS and AMS-BOS.  For the return flight, they wanted to charge us a surcharge to fly home on a late afternoon flight, but we are avoiding the surcharge by choosing an early afternoon flight instead.

We use a travel agent.  We gave her a list of flights we'd be OK with (in order of preference), and sat by when she spoke to Viking on the phone.  That way we could know immediately what Viking would allow and what they would want a surcharge for.  BTW, for the tulip cruise we had the $799 flights promotion.

Thanks. We also booked Viking Air (we have the $999 promotion). I wondered if anyone else had heard of the extra $2000/person for nonstops. I've also read that Viking has changed flights last minute.

18 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Thanks. We also booked Viking Air (we have the $999 promotion). I wondered if anyone else had heard of the extra $2000/person for nonstops. I've also read that Viking has changed flights last minute.

That has to be an urban legend, there is no reason why Viking would care if it was non-stop or not.

its more likely someone insisted on a specific flight or carrier and the difference in price was $2000 and thats how that story started.

Its quite possible they have an agreement with say Delta but not United, for less than advertised tickets, and depending where you live that can result in better or worse connections.

Edited by CastleCritic

14 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

That has to be an urban legend, there is no reason why Viking would care if it was non-stop or not.

its more likely someone insisted on a specific flight or carrier and the difference in price was $2000 and thats how that story started.

Its quite possible they have an agreement with say Delta but not United, for less than advertised tickets, and depending where you live that can result in better or worse connections.

We weren't told ALL nonstops required paying a surcharge, just certain ones.   AMS--BOS departing at 5 PM (would give us one last free morning in the Hague) would have a surcharge, but the nonstop leaving at 11:30 AM would be OK without the surcharge.  We are getting to AMS on a Delta flight, and the 5 PM flight is actually a KLM flight with a Delta codeshare.  That might be the rub---the 11:30 AM flight is on Delta.  So we're on the 11:30 AM flight, within the $799 round trip airfare.

20 minutes ago, CastleCritic said:

It's not an urban legend. The person that wrote this just called Viking 2 days ago and the nonstop flight with the airline and airport it would cost $2000/person for nonstop. It probably isn't for all flights; just certain ones have an air differential fee. 

10 hours ago, cruises42 said:

It's not an urban legend. The person that wrote this just called Viking 2 days ago and the nonstop flight with the airline and airport it would cost $2000/person for nonstop. It probably isn't for all flights; just certain ones have an air differential fee. 

I think the urban legend/misconception is that ALL nonstops with Viking have surcharges, when, as you say, CERTAIN nonstops have an added fee.  In our case the Delta--provided by Delta had no fee, but the Delta--serviced by another airline via codeshare did have an extra cost.

• Like 1

So, when do I have to decide?  I’m assuming I can still cancel Viking air at this point – or any point up to when I make my final payment which is the end of September – without have to worry about getting a credit.

Can I change my mind and book my own flights AFTER I see the flights they’ve given me.  I’m assuming that’s also when you would get Air Plus involved – if you don’t like the flights you’ve been assigned?

I get that booking Viking air offers a bit of protection in case of flight changes.  I’m just trying to make sure I know what my options are. 

Thanks everyone!!!

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I think the urban legend/misconception is that ALL nonstops with Viking have surcharges, when, as you say, CERTAIN nonstops have an added fee.  In our case the Delta--provided by Delta had no fee, but the Delta--serviced by another airline via codeshare did have an extra cost.

In early November we will have a non-stop Amsterdam-Orlando code-shared Virgin Atlantic operated by Delta with no extra cost.  Unfortunately, we will have 3 segments for Orlando-Budapest in October.

2 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

In early November we will have a non-stop Amsterdam-Orlando code-shared Virgin Atlantic operated by Delta with no extra cost.  Unfortunately, we will have 3 segments for Orlando-Budapest in October.

Who knows, maybe Delta has a better deal with Virgin Atlantic than it does with KLM........

Through Viking, we've had nonstops with Swiss Air, and with Delta (in 2 months).

Edited by sharkster77

55 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Who knows, maybe Delta has a better deal with Virgin Atlantic than it does with KLM........

Through Viking, we've had nonstops with Swiss Air, and with Delta (in 2 months).

Since my next cruise Is an ocean cruise on viking voyages from Athens, I called them expecting to (in addition to getting a better deal) find they were using virgin Atlantic for their pre-arranged flights...The two companies dont even have a marketing agreement much less a formal one, they didn't even suggest them(Delta/KLM was what I was quoted), and VA was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Delta or AA when I looked on my own.

Edited by CastleCritic

4 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

Since my next cruise Is an ocean cruise on viking voyages from Athens, I called them expecting to (in addition to getting a better deal) find they were using virgin Atlantic for their pre-arranged flights...The two companies dont even have a marketing agreement much less a formal one, they didn't even suggest them(Delta/KLM was what I was quoted), and VA was SIGNIFICANTLY higher than Delta or AA when I looked on my own.

We fly out of Boston, and we've never been able to get flights for less money than Viking.  Same is true for our land tours---tour company has always gotten us the better deal.

Just works out differently for different folks, I guess.

19 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

I think it comes down to if the non-stop costs more then the offered two connection flight, I believe that you are correct in that there in no mandatory fee for a non-stop flight.  Somewhere I saw that Viking is the largest purchaser of airfare in the US.  They have good deals in place for what they pay for airfare, and I don't there is a lot of relevance to the price you may see on google flights and what they offer you.

Our recent experience is that a combination of business seat and non-stop often results in a 'price differential'.  An experienced Viking Air representative shared that those seats are severely limited by airlines under Viking contracts.  We fly out of either New York or Boston and those non-stops are often priced at a premium within the contracted fares.

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

Our recent experience is that a combination of business seat and non-stop often results in a 'price differential'.  An experienced Viking Air representative shared that those seats are severely limited by airlines under Viking contracts.  We fly out of either New York or Boston and those non-stops are often priced at a premium within the contracted fares.

We always buy our airfare from Viking or other tour operators as soon as flights are posted.  Perhaps that is why we've had good luck getting nonstops w/o surcharge--by buying early we get in on the limited number of nonstops at no extra cost.  I see we are both from MA, so we may both benefit from the number of nonstops to Europe available from Logan.  The ease of getting to Europe from Boston has contributed to our preference of Europe to the Western US/Alaska.  Getting to Alaska or Hawaii from the east coast could be a chore, yet I can be in Ireland in 5 hrs.

3 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

We always buy our airfare from Viking or other tour operators as soon as flights are posted.  

Same here.  Our two upcoming flights are March and May 2024 and both came with an upcharge.  Only nonstops for our upcoming trips were from JFK.   Has to be a capacity issue with the airlines.

4 minutes ago, Mitina said:

Same here.  Our two upcoming flights are March and May 2024 and both came with an upcharge.  Only nonstops for our upcoming trips were from JFK.   Has to be a capacity issue with the airlines.

JFK is probably the best connected airport in the us. I tend to avoid it when I can due to the New York area being the one place I can Almost guarantee seeing canceled or seriously delayed flights every time I’m at the local airport.  Went through there last year to get to and from Paris (which I can now get to direct again) and it went fine to be fair 

4 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

We always buy our airfare from Viking or other tour operators as soon as flights are posted.  Perhaps that is why we've had good luck getting nonstops w/o surcharge--by buying early we get in on the limited number of nonstops at no extra cost.  I see we are both from MA, so we may both benefit from the number of nonstops to Europe available from Logan.  The ease of getting to Europe from Boston has contributed to our preference of Europe to the Western US/Alaska.  Getting to Alaska or Hawaii from the east coast could be a chore, yet I can be in Ireland in 5 hrs.

Syracuse and Watertown are 'home' airport.  We've driven to NYC, Toronto and Montreal to get direct flights.  I envy your options.  Years ago, in San Francisco for a St Patrick's Day parade, they had floats advertising the direct San-Fran to Dublin flights you could book.  Spouse and I couldn't believe that.

• 2 weeks later...

Received notice last week of our flights for our 23 December cruise.  They had missed our deviation request, which I was able to fix with a phone call and $100/person.  Our airfare was part of a Viking promotion and $600/person.

Today received our flights, SYR-Dulles-AMS, and return of Basel-LHR-BOS-SYR.

Outbound on United, Return on American.  Decent flights and connection times.  Checking google flights, I couldn't have done better, especially if I booked myself it would be either United or American flights, not a combination.  Able to pick all seats except one leg, which I'll try and line up.

I was surprised as I wasn't supposed to get flights until 90 days prior to sailing.  So we got them 2 mths ahead of schedule.

19 hours ago, ural guy said:

Received notice last week of our flights for our 23 December cruise.  They had missed our deviation request, which I was able to fix with a phone call and $100/person.  Our airfare was part of a Viking promotion and $600/person.

Today received our flights, SYR-Dulles-AMS, and return of Basel-LHR-BOS-SYR.

Outbound on United, Return on American.  Decent flights and connection times.  Checking google flights, I couldn't have done better, especially if I booked myself it would be either United or American flights, not a combination.  Able to pick all seats except one leg, which I'll try and line up.

I was surprised as I wasn't supposed to get flights until 90 days prior to sailing.  So we got them 2 mths ahead of schedule.

That sounds like a decent combination.  Yes one thing I have found is the cruise lines seem to care less about what airline each segment is on.

glad to hear about the connection times, I was booking airfare to Amsterdam for next year (same price as the cruise line in question) and AA was offering a...40minute connection...in Philadelphia with no inbound flight option for about 5 hours.

On 7/13/2023 at 11:25 AM, sharkster77 said:

I will add this--since we fly out of Boston, there are many nonstops to Europe.  Since the OP appears to be from the midwest (MN?), perhaps flights with connections are more likely, say thru Boston, New York, etc.?

Sharkster77- We are also doing Viking in April & flying out of Boston . What airline did u choose?. This is our first River cruise . 

56 minutes ago, Maisyboo said:

Sharkster77- We are also doing Viking in April & flying out of Boston . What airline did u choose?. This is our first River cruise . 

We are flying nonstops, to and from Amsterdam out of Boston on Delta next April. We got both nonstops for the $799 air.  Our second river cruise but will be our sixth trip to Europe.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Thanks 1

OP, You stated in your post that you were going to Lucerne.

Everyone responding has Lausanne has your destination. 

As Lucerne and Lausanne are two different cities over two hundred kilometers apart, I am curious which city is your destination.

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

OP, You stated in your post that you were going to Lucerne.

Everyone responding has Lausanne has your destination. 

As Lucerne and Lausanne are two different cities over two hundred kilometers apart, I am curious which city is your destination.

I do realize that they are different.  It just didn't seem to be relevant to the questions I needed answered so I didn't make an issue of it.  I am going to be flying into Zurich, and then taking the train to Lucerne where I will spend the next 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cruise booked for mid Jan 23 and just received air booking information with Viking yesterday - direct flight from Newark to Zurich on United - my flight information was on the United site and I was able to do an upgrade to economy plus for $139 and change my seat - I know it's just 6 inches more leg room but to me it was worth the price:)

Enjoy your trip! 

• Like 2