Oh ship! It's my birthday!! A Summit Birthday Cruise LIVE Review!! 7/16-23 sailing!

So far so good! Dinner tonight in Blu was fab!! Spinach salad with goat cheese dressing and pomegranate seeds, sherry-glazed pheasant (a first for me); crema Catalina! 

IMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.546ae5fdf47672ac734a4979dfa11db7.jpeg

IMG_5848.thumb.jpeg.e99ea8ef0a51e13c8b1072173b1fa90f.jpeg

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.8f428c727ecd0892fce4f5cf8d20d532.jpeg

Went to the LGBTQIA+ gathering at the Martini Bar and had a Lavender Lemon Drop

IMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.56d8113a796ce333ad05fc81a4b417ad.jpeg

which might rival the Teremana Greyhound for my fave drink!!

Went back to my cabin briefly and caught a gorgeous sky…

IMG_5857.thumb.jpeg.387704e397105fcece781f30c6057d35.jpeg

Now waiting for the 9pm show - Robert Neary, A Neil Diamond Experience.

I might call it a night after this - didn’t get a ton of sleep last night with pre-cruise excitement.

So far it’s awesome!!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!! 

For the person who asked earlier about movement, yes we are doing some rocking and rolling - waves are 6-10 feet overall. Not a problem for me, but some are definitely feeling it. 

We finally got a little sun

IMG_5866.thumb.jpeg.74c362e774a4135a7cec39e2b6ba9097.jpeg

I was the first one in Blu this morning at around 7:45 and they were all checking with me, not just my server and assistant server. A few more wandered in a bit later - and the maitre’d was letting all the servers know to prepare for a lot around 8:30 since there were probably a number of people who didn’t move their clocks ahead. Sure enough starting at 8:30 there was a steady stream of people.

IMG_5865.thumb.jpeg.691abe383b0411b7d981f225e61f6cd6.jpeg

IMG_5869.thumb.jpeg.7e63a526455129bba51bd6d3a8da7e24.jpeg

I only ordered the eggs, bacon, and tomato. I ate the potato as well but need to remember to tell her not to add mushroom or asparagus.

Went to the Persian Gardens for a bit - it was nice. But when I came out the women’s changing room door was closed with caution tape up. They had an alternate door open and crew in masks and one in an haz-mat suit were cleaning. Someone had lost their breakfast. Not sure if it was motion or the dreaded noro. They asked what locker number I had and what code I had used and brought me my flip flops, lanyard, and cover-up. So that was the adventure so far.

I’m now chilling in al Bacio with an amaretto latte with almond milk. And wishing I had brought my kindle with me (I had thought I’d go to the Beyond the Podium talk about the making of old movie musicals, but it was not as interesting in person as it seemed on paper). 

IMG_5870.thumb.jpeg.f9abe59c3eea65de769f2d2908428e15.jpeg

12:30 is the Captain’s Club reception. They did refund me for the World Wine Tour turned Food and Wine Pairing so that’s good. 🙂

Captain Nigel said we will probably have some rain this afternoon - the system we left is kind of following us - so a nap may be in order. 

The morning show with cruise director Manuel and activities director Kelli said there are 300 kids on board. Seems that “300 kids” is standard for a number if there are a lot - I’ve seen multiple reports where people said “300 kids”… I know Disney limits the number of kids to the capacity of their kids’ clubs - I don’t know if that is what Celebrity does or not, but I guess it’s possible the capacity is 300? Maybe I’ll ask someone later. Most of them seem to be well behaved so far…

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 6

Just now, Laurab23 said:

You might want to try the raspberry lemonade martini at the martini bar. And is Putu still one of the bartenders there?

Laura

Ooh, cool! Will try that. 

I don’t know - it was crazy busy last night and grabbing someone’s attention was like trying to hail a taxi when it’s raining in NYC. I’ll try to check today!

24 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Ooh, cool! Will try that. 

I don’t know - it was crazy busy last night and grabbing someone’s attention was like trying to hail a taxi when it’s raining in NYC. I’ll try to check today!

He is the one without glasses.

thumbnail (8).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

By your photo used to share your “name” on Cruise Critic, I thought you were a dark and ominous person😉, but now know that you teach special education, so I totally understand your photo and “name.”  I hope you have an excellent birthday cruise and just indulge in everything you love about being onboard a cruise ship.  

Hope your weather clears and the sky opens to a beautiful blue with puffy clouds and great temps!

Happy Birthday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Is that a “secret menu” drink? I don’t see it on the menu.

It is not on the menu but bartenders know how to make it. Especially Putu. He made me a few every night. There is also a key lime pie martini which is good. They know how to make a lot of martinis not on the menu.

Laura

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Laurab23 said:

It is not on the menu but bartenders know how to make it. Especially Putu. He made me a few every night. There is also a key lime pie martini which is good. They know how to make a lot of martinis not on the menu.

Laura

Awesome! Thank you!!

@SSFrance69 - One thing I figured out about the balcony door is if you put the handle in the lock position, the door will hold in place on the track. So when I am out on the balcony I’ll leave just enough room to get my hand to the handle and “lock” it open. So far that has worked. I do put an extra towel rolled up in the space just in case.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

@SSFrance69 - One thing I figured out about the balcony door is if you put the handle in the lock position, the door will hold in place on the track. So when I am out on the balcony I’ll leave just enough room to get my hand to the handle and “lock” it open. So far that has worked. I do put an extra towel rolled up in the space just in case.

Good to know. Thanks for the tip! I wonder will the phone's cord reach out the door? I could take it out there with me and call for rescue if I get stuck. lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

So far so good! Dinner tonight in Blu was fab!! Spinach salad with goat cheese dressing and pomegranate seeds, sherry-glazed pheasant (a first for me); crema Catalina! 

IMG_5847.thumb.jpeg.546ae5fdf47672ac734a4979dfa11db7.jpeg

IMG_5848.thumb.jpeg.e99ea8ef0a51e13c8b1072173b1fa90f.jpeg

IMG_5851.thumb.jpeg.8f428c727ecd0892fce4f5cf8d20d532.jpeg

Went to the LGBTQIA+ gathering at the Martini Bar and had a Lavender Lemon Drop

IMG_5856.thumb.jpeg.56d8113a796ce333ad05fc81a4b417ad.jpeg

which might rival the Teremana Greyhound for my fave drink!!

Went back to my cabin briefly and caught a gorgeous sky…

IMG_5857.thumb.jpeg.387704e397105fcece781f30c6057d35.jpeg

Now waiting for the 9pm show - Robert Neary, A Neil Diamond Experience.

I might call it a night after this - didn’t get a ton of sleep last night with pre-cruise excitement.

So far it’s awesome!!

The food looks amazing! I'm hungry now. I'm gonna have to try that lavender drink too! What a gorgeous sky. Can't wait for those views!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SSFrance69 said:

One thing I forgot to ask is how is the temperature in the room? I like it nice and cold when I sleep. Hopefully the AC works really well. 😁

Definitely works well! I had to drop the blower level to 2 last night!

I don’t think the phone will reach since it is on the bathroom side of the bed. There is usually someone on the deck below - or above - to yell to if worst-case happens!

• Thanks 1

Wishing you an enjoyable birthday cruise. We were on the Summit to Bermuda (itinerary also included Charleston, Martha's Vineyard, and Newport) back in May. Hoping you like everything about Aqua and Blu. We were not quite as pleased as the first time we did it several years ago (pre-covid). You're on one of the last few Bermuda cruises before the Summit starts her Canada / NE itineraries next month.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

So excited to follow along as you sail the Summit, our favorite ship. We have sailed on her at least a dozen times, most recently April 26th to May 15th, also in Aqua class.  The crew makes her extra special and the staff in Blu will spoil you as they make you feel extra special. I must admit, I'm a little jealous.

I taught for 35 years, 20 of them as a special education teacher. 

Love the lavendar lemondrop marrtini, too, but it sounds like you got some wonderful suggestions that I will be adding to my list. All the bartenders are great but make sure to connect with Putu. We've sailed with him numerous times. Amazing how much he's mentioned on social media. I always tell him he's famous.  Tell him Mary and David Boyd say hello if you get the chance. 

Here's a picture of Putu on Cinco de Mayo

Mary Ann

P5050112.JPG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

I taught for 35 years, 20 of them as a special education teacher. 

My hat is off to you special ed people for sure, as someone already mentioned! I taught for 33.5 years (went out early with slightly reduced penalty) and did elementary band in our local public school system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IWillGoAnywhere26 said:

All the bartenders are great

I must admit to never having ordered a single drink on any cruise I've been on, nor ever really spent time at a bar. I'm good with having wine at dinner though, so the classic drink package we had back in May worked well. Not much of a mixed drink person.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 8:45 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

IMG_5824.jpeg.66d4be5557ba69a41fb17b5c9ba1f140.jpeg

It’s Embarkation Day!! It’s Embarkation Day!!! 

IMG_5825.thumb.jpeg.2976a0dcbf49615db3ca71b8b7d64a49.jpeg

Bags are by the door…

IMG_5826.thumb.jpeg.156755aa13f2422c228c07cc0c67c63b.jpeg

I’m dressed and all set!!

My car service is to be here at 9:30 and I’ll be on my way!!

It’s rainy, but who cares?? It’s Embarkation Day!!

Hi!! I have loved following along with your live report, thank you so much for sharing! 

In a month I am going on my first celebrity cruise after cruising with Disney for years. I love your Disney shirt! I have a few Disney things that I typically take on my cruises, the biggest one being my Loungefly bag. I would absolutely love to bring my bag with me. If I can ask - do you feel out of place with your Disney stuff at all? I have really bad anxiety so sometimes I worry about not fitting in with the crowd around me. I know it's a different crowd on Celebrity. 

Hope you are having great time!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

My hat is off to you special ed people for sure, as someone already mentioned! I taught for 33.5 years (went out early with slightly reduced penalty) and did elementary band in our local public school system.

I must return the compliment to you as an elementary band leader. My 35 years were spent in an elementary public school. The music teachers did an amazing job with the chorus and band. Starting children on instruments seems like a daunting task. We were always so impressed with the holiday concert after only a few months of instruction.  My opinion is not biased at all by the fact that my husband is a music teacher!😉

Edited by IWillGoAnywhere26
  • Like 1

Kids, yes, there were lots of them last week too.  It is summer vacation time so families are traveling and Bermuda is a nice trip, Bayonne is a cheap and easy port to deal with. We had a lot of kids last week, never had a problem with the ones under 21......

As the grandparent of an autistic 6 year old, thank you and all of the other special ed kids and families out there for all you do.  His teachers, therapists and a lot of early intervention have made huge difference for him and for us.  

Have a great time in Bermuda.  The $7 bus to the beach is a great deal if you want to go to Horseshoe or Elbow.  They have a line right in between where you dock and where the Joy docks.  Just hope on and pay the driver at at end of each trip. Cash only and that $7 is one way.  Yes, the public bus is cheaper but they drop you at the top of a long hill and the shuttles go right to the beach.  IF the weather is good tomorrow the Harbor Fair in Hamilton is fun but the ferries are pretty full so allow yourself some extra time to get there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kittyraptors said:

Hi!! I have loved following along with your live report, thank you so much for sharing! 

In a month I am going on my first celebrity cruise after cruising with Disney for years. I love your Disney shirt! I have a few Disney things that I typically take on my cruises, the biggest one being my Loungefly bag. I would absolutely love to bring my bag with me. If I can ask - do you feel out of place with your Disney stuff at all? I have really bad anxiety so sometimes I worry about not fitting in with the crowd around me. I know it's a different crowd on Celebrity. 

Hope you are having great time!

Hi! 
I have not felt uncomfortable at all!  My mom teased me about using my DCL lanyard a little, but I said “Celebrity doesn’t give you one, so…they get what they get!”

I’m wearing a shirt from Pandora today and have gotten good comments on it. 
I’m going to sail on Beyond next year, and I might reconsider my boarding day shirt just with Captain Kate being on there. Though I suspect she would get a kick out of it.

I hope you’ll have a great time!!

• Like 2