Oh ship! It's my birthday!! A Summit Birthday Cruise LIVE Review!! 7/16-23 sailing!

4 minutes ago, lala223 said:

Hi Beth, 
Birthday cruises are the best!! My husband's birthday is the 16th and we'll be celebrating on the same sailing.

If I don't run into you, I hope you have a great one 😀

Awesome!! Mine is the 20th! Happy birthday to your husband!!

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
  • Like 1

Happy Birthday and looking forward to following along.  We will be on the Summit in Sept.

Greatest respect for special education teachers.  I’m a retired school psychologist and I worked at a preschool for infants and preschoolers with special needs so I know how hard spec ed teachers work.  Have a wonderful vacation!

Edited by vickykay
Spacing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, Bermuda is beautiful and I hope you have a wonderful time!

We'll be on the Summit for our 2nd cruise with Celebrity this fall and are also excited that it's a "just drive directly to the ship" cruise for us too. We'll be in Aqua cabin 1100 just down the hallway from where you will be.

Very much looking forward to hearing about your cruise experience. Bon Voyage!!!

• Like 1

In case I missed someone mentioning it, Wednesday night in Hamilton is their Harbor Nights celebration.  Street festival with food (check out the funnel cakes 😋), entertainment and some craft vendors.  It’s a lot of fun and a great way to spend the night. 
Happy Birthday and Bon Voyage.

Susan

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of in Bermuda is that the gratuity may be automatically added into the bill.  Look very close to your final bill before paying.  Many don’t notice that and add another 20%.   The prices are inflated enough without giving a tip that  would be over 40%. ( 20 % added in and then 20% of that total) 

We were sitting at the bar in Frog and Onion.   A couple next tours had been there before we sat down and were feeling pretty good.   They got their tab and said I guess we drank more than we thought. He paid with his credit card and added a tip.  The female with him looked at the bill and added some cash as a tip as the BT took the folder away.    He said what are you doing and she said paying the tip.  He said that he already added in more than 20%.   I told them that the tip was already added in to the bill.   He said I guess we way over tipped. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, miched said:

One thing to be aware of in Bermuda is that the gratuity may be automatically added into the bill.  Look very close to your final bill before paying.  Many don’t notice that and add another 20%.   The prices are inflated enough without giving a tip that  would be over 40%. ( 20 % added in and then 20% of that total) 

We were sitting at the bar in Frog and Onion.   A couple next tours had been there before we sat down and were feeling pretty good.   They got their tab and said I guess we drank more than we thought. He paid with his credit card and added a tip.  The female with him looked at the bill and added some cash as a tip as the BT took the folder away.    He said what are you doing and she said paying the tip.  He said that he already added in more than 20%.   I told them that the tip was already added in to the bill.   He said I guess we way over tipped. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks! Yes, I’ve learned that on the Bermuda boards, but always a good reminder!!

When you get there and  plan on taking the ferry don’t stop at the very first Kiosk selling the tokens as there is usually a very long line.   Continue further down the pier and you will find another one selling them with no line.   If you plan on taking the first ferry  after the ship docks walk and don’t take the shuttle.  Everyone is waiting for it and it is a free for all.  Walking is faster especially if you can’t get on the shuttle and have to wait for the next one.  Get in line as soon as you can for the ferry.  It will leave as soon as it is filled up and it fills up fast.   You will then have to wait a long time for another one.   

That was our experience a few years ago and things may have changed. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

IMG_5759.thumb.jpeg.b2d2e93d117221437bacdcee5d7d6193.jpeg

Ok I was jealous about your cruise, but now super-duper jealous.

Enjoy the show - I've heard it's great!!!

What a great lead up to your birthday cruise.

Happy Birthday!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tcmagnum said:

Ok I was jealous about your cruise, but now super-duper jealous.

Enjoy the show - I've heard it's great!!!

What a great lead up to your birthday cruise.

Happy Birthday!!!!

Thanks! It was a fabulous show!! The opening act was Breland - who’s a Black guy from NJ who ended up in the world of Country Music - and it was his MSG debut so lots of energy. He’s really good too.

Shania definitely puts on a great show! She’s always been a fave but this was my first time to see her live!

• Like 6

This was my one day with nothing planned, so I decided to use Culture Pass - which gives free admission for 1 or 2 people to a variety of museums, etc. with a NYC Public Library or Brooklyn Public Library card - and honor my Grandaddy who would have been 109 today (he died 16 years ago after a long life) who served on a destroyer in the Pacific Theater during WWII by visiting the Intrepid. (Yes, it was a carrier, but still)

Here is a picture of the Lego model of the ship

IMG_5800.thumb.jpeg.0ea67164c8ffa3c626c0c5aad267ad98.jpeg

And my favorite part is the Space Shuttle Enterprise!!

IMG_5805.thumb.jpeg.363ecb658628fa7a79ca9b9376a0b364.jpeg

Only 3 more days!!

• Like 6

One more sleep!!!

Today was self-care/maintenance. First thing, I headed into Manhattan for my mammogram - doing it in the hot summer is not the greatest idea (since no deodorant is allowed)) to begin with, then add in the MTA with weekend shenanigans on steroids! Track work, plus a third rail power outage we’re being crazy -  then they told us to wait for the L on the other track…only to have the train show up on the correct track - so we were yelling for them to hold the train while we all ran down a ramp, around a hairpin corner, down stairs, and up stairs. Fortunately the conductors realized it and held the train for us. Phew! 

Mammo done, I headed to get the roots touched up along with a gloss.

IMG_5814.thumb.jpeg.c1c7c28e671b6a9e3eaa0e594c99ff2b.jpeg

and headed to my apartment in Brooklyn. But the MTA shenanigans were not over! The A was on another route part of the time which was no problem. Transferred to the G and then things seemed ok…until most of the lights in the car went out as did the a/c. Still, doors closed and we started to move…about an inch. Open doors, close doors…about an inch. Then the announcement “We are investigating an unexpected loss of power to the third rail.” No worries…it is close to a bus stop. BUT the next bus is 25 minutes from leaving its starting point, and the stop is in the sun. 

So after a nice, unexpected 2 mile walk home, I’m chilling. Later I will finish packing and check the availability of cabins on the cruise I’m planning to book on board tomorrow so i have my choices in order just in case 1st (or more) choice disappears between tonight and tomorrow.

This time tomorrow I should be on board and exploring the Summit - or unpacking in my cabin if my luggage gets there early! Whee!!

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, txtechmk said:

Have a great trip!  We have never been to Bermuda.  I am anxious to hear how calm (or not) the open seas are.  Hubby gets a little seasick....

I'll report on those...though I don't get seasick so I don't really feel the motion that much unless it's extreme (which still doesn't bother me).

I'll be following along.

Enjoy your 1st trip to Bermuda ... I'm sure you'll fall in love with that little piece of paradise, just like I have!

(Been there countless times and I never get tired of it. ☺) 

Bon Voyage and Happy Birthday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vic The Parrot said:

Enjoy your 1st trip to Bermuda ... I'm sure you'll fall in love with that little piece of paradise, just like I have!

I know I did too.

Also Mark Twain  loved the island  ! His statues are around the island. Great one in the lobby of an art museum of a private collection  of art painted by artists who  had been on the island in the day.

His house he stayed will be pointed out on the excursion of Houses of the Rich and Famous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that it is looking like a rainy embarkation day tomorrow, I looked at the bag I had and went through to see if I really needed all that. Answer was no - so I am down to a carry-on roller bag, a duffel bag, and my backpack. 🙂 No chance of luggage sitting outside for hours in the rain - even though it's hard-sided, the zipper area is not.

Merida is doing her velcro cat act since it's clear from the bags by the door that my departure is soon. When I get home, she'll yell for a moment, but then it's all velcro cat all the time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

It’s Embarkation Day!! It’s Embarkation Day!!! 

IMG_5825.thumb.jpeg.2976a0dcbf49615db3ca71b8b7d64a49.jpeg

Bags are by the door…

I’m dressed and all set!!

My car service is to be here at 9:30 and I’ll be on my way!!

It’s rainy, but who cares?? It’s Embarkation Day!!

woyh - looks like you are doing a B2B2B2B sailing!!! LOL

No worries, have fun and I look forward to your musings and postings while aboard and in port... We have been to Bermuda three (3) times on The Summit.

Safe travels to the ship and bon voyage

btw: Happy Natal Anniversary!!!

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

woyh - looks like you are doing a B2B2B2B sailing!!! LOL

No worries, have fun and I look forward to your musings and postings while aboard and in port... We have been to Bermuda three (3) times on The Summit.

Safe travels to the ship and bon voyage

btw: Happy Natal Anniversary!!!

Haha! It’s a carry-on sized roller bag and a gym bag sized duffel for shoes and toiletries. Backpack has the computer and paperwork and such.

Thank you!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Haha! It’s a carry-on sized roller bag and a gym bag sized duffel for shoes and toiletries. Backpack has the computer and paperwork and such.

Thank you!!

So you are planning on being on-board for a month with all of that, especially the laptop and paperwork!!!

LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1