Entertainment Cutback Concerns and Real Disappointment

cusematt4

I have to say Choir of Man performers were outstanding.  I know they change, but found them to be very talented.  Again, same for Million Dollar Quartet.  

During a behind the scenes tour, the productions have to be overseen by the production company NCL licenses the shows from….right down to costume inspection and final show performances.

They are all very well done.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, MacGuffin3 said:

ummm ... it just seemed to be one of the highlights for people. That's all.

It is part of the show.  The highlight is the show itself and the performers.  The show takes place in a tavern, and the performers inviting people up to the stage for a beer is part of the show.  Rare that audience is allowed on stage to become part of the show.  It’s fun.  That’s all.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, newbie55 said:

Having Million Dollar Quartet was what tipped the scales to pick the cruise we did. Does anyone know if it is being cut? Or, what nights it is playing, so I can make dinner reservations?

Thanks!

My son and DIL are in MDQ on the Getaway currently. They say MDQ is safe for now. We are going to see them in August. They tell me they get their exact schedule for the shows week to week. I too wanted to make dinner ressies around the show and they said it was too soon to know what nights they would be performing. They did say MDQ is usually performed towards the latter part of the cruise. They are also in Broadway Unplugged and have to cover for Burn the Floor as the singers sometimes. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Seminole1975 said:

My son and DIL are in MDQ on the Getaway currently. They say MDQ is safe for now. We are going to see them in August. They tell me they get their exact schedule for the shows week to week. I too wanted to make dinner ressies around the show and they said it was too soon to know what nights they would be performing. They did say MDQ is usually performed towards the latter part of the cruise. They are also in Broadway Unplugged and have to cover for Burn the Floor as the singers sometimes. 

Cool.  I’ve seen MDQ 3 times.  Loved it each and every time.  Seen Choir twice.  Would see it again in a heart beat.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Rare that audience is allowed on stage to become part of the show.

I was planning on just walking up to the bar on stage in the middle of one of their numbers and ordering a pint.  I doubt anyone would notice since I look just like a cast member.

15 minutes ago, MacGuffin3 said:

I was planning on just walking up to the bar on stage in the middle of one of their numbers and ordering a pint.  I doubt anyone would notice since I look just like a cast member.

Probably net you a date with security and spending the rest of your cruise in their "special accomodations".  But, go for it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Seminole1975 said:

MDQ is by far our favorite NCL show.  I really hope it stays for a very long time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Probably net you a date with security and spending the rest of your cruise in their "special accomodations".  But, go for it.

Probably worth it, since I'll have provided the audience with a much more entertaining and memorable show.  It will provide fodder for this board for weeks!

On 7/15/2023 at 10:30 AM, MacGuffin3 said:

Sure, enough beer and you might not notice you're spending your evening watching a bunch of bearded burly men poorly singing cliche 80's tunes and dancing with mops.

When we saw it in Dec on the Encore I was blown away by the level of singing.

Here's why--typically on ships, the female vocalists are outstanding & the male vocalists...well, they usually aren't as good. Still very good, but the women outshine them (this is a generalization; even i have seen exceptions)

NOT so with COM (again--the cast I saw in Dec on Encore). OUTSTANDING. Nearly every vocalist as good as anyone I have seen in Broadway shows.

BUT I have seen different performers do the same show--it doesn't always translate that way.

Syds for instance. Loved it the 1st time we saw it. 2nd time, the female vocalists were stronger than the male vocalists BUT this group had such energy & just fed off each other so well that it made them better than the 1st group I saw (who were still fantastic).

So perhaps the clip you saw of COM on You Tube wasn't the best it can be. Perhaps on the Encore it was.

But clearly I'm an 80s girl, so that appeals to me as well. (And DH thought it a neat feature to go down & get a beer at the beginning--he spent quite a bit of time up there chatting up one of the cast members.)

Now, there was an 80s production on a Princess ship last summer--OMG. I felt like I was at a bad high school production. Talented enough, just a bad production. So 80s music alone AIN'T enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KKB said:

I was blown away by the level of singing.

OK, I'll take your word for it.  The problem for me was every single song they sang was one I would immediately change the channel on if it came up on my car radio.

1 minute ago, MacGuffin3 said:

OK, I'll take your word for it.  The problem for me was every single song they sang was one I would immediately change the channel on if it came up on my car radio.

So you aren't an 80s guy.

Fair.

On 7/15/2023 at 4:30 PM, MacGuffin3 said:

Sure, enough beer and you might not notice you're spending your evening watching a bunch of bearded burly men poorly singing cliche 80's tunes and dancing with mops.

We seen 20 minutes of this show and left, jokes were worse than the dedicated 'comedian' onboard, and the singing was like a bad dose off of the TCM channel.

I heard better singing collaboration from random passengers in the after hours sing songs.

• Like 1

I think this group posting is jaded. We've all been on multiple cruises, likely for years, and things lose their luster after a while. 

First time I stepped on a ship I couldn't believe it was a ship! Everything was exciting. A balcony! A "free" bottle of sparkling wine! A diverse menu! But now we take it for granted. I'm on the ship, ok, it's pretty, here's my balcony, let's head to lunch, oh it's the same menu as last time, let's pop the cork, oh it's not really as good as the real stuff.... Stop letting yourself get jaded. 

If you want a theatre trip, head to NY or London. If you want lobster (is that really the height of luxury anymore?) then go to Maine. I'm on a cruise to relax, and though it might be nice to have mind blowing entertainment and gourmet food, if I soak in some sun while watching the ocean while eating a mediocre salad, so be it - I'm relaxed, I'm not at work, I don't have to cook, and the sunset is spectacular.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

if I soak in some sun while watching the ocean while eating a mediocre salad, so be it - I'm relaxed, I'm not at work, I don't have to cook, and the sunset is spectacular.

This is exactly why we cruise also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seminole1975 said:

So glad to hear that MDQ is safe....hopefully for years more🤞

We saw MDQ and your very talented son & DIL in late May.    I think part of the reason we love that show is they always have very talented singers who actually play their own musical instruments.

We also loved Broadway Unplugged.  Again, the MDQ performers plus a few more put on a very enjoyable show.  Was just sad it was only once during our cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

if I soak in some sun while watching the ocean while eating a mediocre salad, so be it - I'm relaxed, I'm not at work, I don't have to cook, and the sunset is spectacular.

Sounds good to me.  Any recommendations for the best "mediocre salad" on board?

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

So glad to hear that MDQ is safe....hopefully for years more🤞

We saw MDQ and your very talented son & DIL in late May.    I think part of the reason we love that show is they always have very talented singers who actually play their own musical instruments.

We also loved Broadway Unplugged.  Again, the MDQ performers plus a few more put on a very enjoyable show.  Was just sad it was only once during our cruise.

I am really looking forward to Broadway Unplugged! I have seen bits and pieces of videos. Thanks for your kind words. 

• Like 2

About the entertainment -

I rarely go to theater shows anymore. The sound systems are so high that sound is distorted and uncomfortable. I've enjoyed the few I really wanted to go to with noise cancelling earphones.

My Apple Watch is constantly alerting the sound level is. dangerous. I'm already hard of hearing, I dont need to lose more.

Personally I really wish they showed the shows on closed circuit tv in the room where I could adjust the volume to a level I can hear without pain.

I love Syds and find the volume too high but not painful. Some of the atrium performers are good.