Just off the Marina and postive for covid

avalong

About all anyone can say with any certainty is that sometimes COVID just happens.

We were on a magical cruise on Riviera 12/13-23/2021. O had just restarted cruising. We had 719 passengers. O did the pre-cruise testing, which they paid for, in a tent next to terminal J. We didn't mask. People were in crowded elevators on board. We did excursions at every port (W. Caribbean). Didn't hear coughs or see anyone quarantined or heard about any COVID. BUT then when we got back all hell broke loose with the Delta Variant. And it all changed for the next couple months.

We were on Sirena 11/2022 in E. Caribbean. 630 passengers. NO COVID problems or issues. No one seemed to take any precautions. We had a great time.

I am now more concerned than ever about getting on Marina next Saturday! (Copenhagen to Tromso)I’ve had the original 2 shots and 3 boosters. The last booster was this past Monday. It Covid really that prevalent? 

5 minutes ago, Ljme57 said:

I am now more concerned than ever about getting on Marina next Saturday! (Copenhagen to Tromso)I’ve had the original 2 shots and 3 boosters. The last booster was this past Monday. It Covid really that prevalent? 

Define prevalent. Been on five (5) separate cruises since July 21, so past two years. Significant number of cases on two of them. We, along with our entire group, got Covid on one of them. The other three cruises only had a low case count. 

It’s still out there, and isn’t leaving. 

16 minutes ago, Ljme57 said:

Take precautions

Wear a mask if required to protect  yourself

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Define prevalent. Been on five (5) separate cruises since July 21, so past two years. Significant number of cases on two of them. We, along with our entire group, got Covid on one of them. The other three cruises only had a low case count. 

It’s still out there, and isn’t leaving. 

It sounds like there are many cases. I knew there could be some but I’d like to hear from the unscathed people! I am just worried. I teach and school starts the week after we get back😬

I wish everyone well that is ill.

1 hour ago, Ljme57 said:

It sounds like there are many cases. I knew there could be some but I’d like to hear from the unscathed people! I am just worried. I teach and school starts the week after we get back😬

I've taken 4 cruises since Sept of 22. One of them was on Oasis, 5-6k people, the other 3 were on Oceania. As far as I know we haven't caught Covid on any of them. Did come home with a nasty cold on the last cruise about 3-4 weeks ago, but test said negative. So, we've cruised multiple times and come out basically unscathed. We are up to date on all boosters, just had the third one(second biavalent) a few days before our last cruise. 

Be cautious. Avoid crowding. In Europe, hardly anyone wears. Asks. On Marina end of June, on.y saw a few people wearing masks.  On planes, more people wore masks. I on,y wore a mask when sitting next to a stranger.  Last year on a Celebrity cruise, my spouse got Covid. I haven’t had it.  We both test often.  

• Like 1

Have done 4 cruises since 2020.

3 on O.

The first one in Nov of 2022, out of 8 trivia teammates,  we were the only ones that did not get covid. Wore no masks. Only difference was, they did bus tours, we walked.

Next one Jan 2023, some got covid from our team, they were part of a bridge team...we wore no masks.

No covid for us on any of our cruises. Only have the mandatory 2 shots and one booster.

In May, not on a cruise, got a severe case of covid. Sick for a month. Have no clue where I picked it up. No one else in family had it, nor did anyone get it from me.

I don't plan to get anymore shots nor will I be wearing masks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ljme57 said:

We were on the same cruise as the OP and had no problems whatsoever.  We were on the prior segment as well.  We never got sick and frankly, I found there to be less coughing and sneezing on these two cruises than I'd observed in pre-COVID cruises.  If you are highly concerned, take and wear a mask.  They are not handing out masks onboard like they did immediately after opening up cruises again.  Avoid riding in elevators, too.  Skip the tour buses.  That said, we utilized all of these things and did not get sick.  

• Like 3

We've been on 3 cruises post-Covid.  We both got Covid only one time and it was from the last cruise which was on a RC mega-ship in the Caribbean in January. We didn't do any shore excursions. The vast majority of passengers and crew were not wearing masks. Good chance it was from the elevators which is hard to avoid on a ship with 17 decks.  Luckily it was a mild case with mostly just fatigue and no coughing or sneezing.  The other 2 cruises were on O's R ships. 

On my upcoming Nautica cruise I will be wearing a mask when I am in the elevators. The R ships are easier to get around on without taking the elevator.  I use the stairs often.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Nautica a couple of weeks ago. Very few crew or passengers wearing masks (us included). Nothing really by way of coughing and it felt very safe. We both came down with fairly bad colds, starting a couple of days after we got home. Probably caught it on the plane which, of course, was much more crowded than anything cruise related. 

18 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

How are the ship’s medical facilities?  All of this “C” talk made me think about that.

DH  has visited  them a couple of times pre covid

they were costly  but he was taken care of

Make sure you have insurance coverage  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ljme57 said:

To cope with covid anxiety before our recent cruise we took both covid tests and PAXLOVID with us (our physician wrote a prescription so we could have it when we traveled).  That way we could both diagnose and treat Covid if we got it on the cruise.  Of course we would have also isolated ourselves during the active phase.  Knowing that we were prepared for the worst case scenario helped.

5 minutes ago, Woodrowst said:

To cope with covid anxiety before our recent cruise we took both covid tests and PAXLOVID with us (our physician wrote a prescription so we could have it when we traveled).  That way we could both diagnose and treat Covid if we got it on the cruise.  Of course we would have also isolated ourselves during the active phase.  Knowing that we were prepared for the worst case scenario helped.

Great idea! I took tests, but not paxlovid.

1 hour ago, Woodrowst said:

I can ask our doctors and it will be interesting to know if Paxlovid will be prescribed! Thanks!

On 7/13/2023 at 10:26 AM, avalong said:

My husband and I left the ship on the 11th. My husband tested positive on the 11th and I tested positive today. Mild symptoms, but be aware that it's still out there folks! Many of our excursion buses sounded like kennels with all the coughing.

Thanks for the reminder.  Hopefully your case is mild.  We will be wearing masks at airports and on plane for sure.  Now I will think about any bus tour too.

• Like 1

Off of the same cruise I think. The number of people coughing, deep hacking coughs , was worst than previous cruises I took this year on far bigger ships.  They actually Saran wrapped parts of the buffet because people kept grabbing things w their hands.  Two couples, all of us got ill.  Happened well into  the sailing and we had been land based before , so I do attribute it to ship and not airlines. Mask wearing almost non existent. 

They likewise had to Saran Wrap everything in the Terrace and Waves on our Marina cruise. I wish they’d leave it that way all the time.

It remains amazing to me the number of English speakers that can’t say “May I have some bacon please!” , but insists upon sticking their arm under the shields, almost into the food, whke pointing and making guttural noises! 🤬🤬 

Keep your arms and hands away from other people’s food!!! 🙏

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, hehny said:

They actually Saran wrapped parts of the buffet because people kept grabbing things w their hands. 

They  have done this  for years

I have commented many time in the cruise comment sheets  they should just put the glass barrier down to the counter  to keep people from reaching in

But they never listen to me  😄

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 9:30 AM, Ljme57 said:

We’re on the same cruise! More common it seems on longer cruises and with more time spent inside but other times who knows. Took family cruise on a full NCL Escape returning 3 days before surgery. Admittedly nervous. Masks in crowded areas but we were mostly outside, spread around, with private excursions. But my daughter (another cabin) caught it. Mentioned 2 times she had a sore throat, gave her a test kit, she was positive. She hardly felt sick and wouldn’t have considered testing or stayed in cabin/ masked if I hadn’t prompted her. Luckily I did stay neg.

Husband got it last summer on day 13 of river cruise. He didn’t test pos when the whole family had it 2 months earlier.  Does feel random but we will probably still mask in crowds and excursion buses. It’s not going away. Think I’m a bit more worried about norovirus. Forgot to order more hospital grade hand spray in time though do have wipes. 

• Like 1

We mask at the airport mask on the plane,mask at the port waiting to embark. We mask when we leave our storeroom and in  the halls and elevators.

In our cabin we wipe all knobs handles telephone remotes 

Are we extreme maybe but it works for us.

• Like 2