Oh Canada - Breaking News on Medallion Shipping

Steelers36

Princess is finally ready to ship Medallions to Canada.  During today's webinar for agents, Carmen Roig and Marsha announced finally going to be able to receive Medallions in Canada.  Apparently this begins August 1.  Now I can anticipate the questions and there were no particulars.  Cannot say if it is any voyage date beginning after August 1 (of course there has to be time to ship), or for new bookings after August 1, etc?  Also, they mentioned testing to see how mailing time is to make sure folks can receive them, but she did not say anything about how far ahead must be ordered nor what they expect shipping time to be.

I imagine more info will be coming.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Interesting! I thought the change to only allowing those with medallions in the green lane was a little surprising. I’d understand it perhaps for sailings from the U.S. but it seems odd globally to only let U.S. residents in the green lane

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Interesting! I thought the change to only allowing those with medallions in the green lane was a little surprising. I’d understand it perhaps for sailings from the U.S. but it seems odd globally to only let U.S. residents in the green lane

Personally, I think it is much hoopla and just part of the push to get guests to buy the AI cruise fare packages.  From the way I have seen and read the check-in process working in the past 6+ months, I don't see a need for Green/Blue lanes the way they describe it.  Totally agree that Ocean Ready includes ordering Medallion for port pickup and should continue as Green.  Makes no sense to send them Blue.  Blue is supposed to be about missing information or those not able to complete OR process using PC or App.  

Later on, they said it doesn't matter where you go to check-in - Green/Blue/Gray - they will take care of the guest.  Seems pretty silly then doesn't it?  Of course, the Gray is for special needs/assistance, but I imagine if no guest waiting, those agents take next in line anyway. 

Several folks have reported seeing Blue lines shorter in locations actually having Green & Blue.  Perhaps this is going to be another change - or a reversion back to what they had in mind coming out of Covid.

At least the annoying and useless Arrival Groups/Times are a thing of the past.

• Like 2

I am cruising out of Vancouver in September and if its possible to have my medallion shipped to me after last year's boarding fiasco I'm all over it.  The way I read it is if you are green and already have your medallion you can skip check in altogether and go straight onboard.

Someone on another site was claiming it was going to cost $150 to have it shipped to Canada lol if you don't have Plus or Premium.

Edited by Sprocket

Ahhhh excellent! We sale Aug 24 so perhaps we will be among the first to get mailed ones. I already selected “pick up at port” since that was the only option but I’ll get checking to see if there’s a change

8 minutes ago, calvin31 said:

Ahhhh excellent! We sale Aug 24 so perhaps we will be among the first to get mailed ones. I already selected “pick up at port” since that was the only option but I’ll get checking to see if there’s a change

Great minds...

I sail in September and just went into the app to check. Nothing has changed yet. Maybe in August? I won't hold my breath...

2 minutes ago, antsp said:

Amazing, hardly worth the bother, just collect at the port and wait an extra 40 seconds

I meant the skipping check-in bit. We're from Australia so we always have to pick up our medallions at the port. I agree, it has been no bother at all. 😊

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kellyansapansa said:

That sounds amazing, but seems unlikely. 🤔

I agree. I don’t think there’s any possibility that they won’t be checking for travel documents. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

From the way I have seen and read the check-in process working in the past 6+ months, I don't see a need for Green/Blue lanes the way they describe it.  Totally agree that Ocean Ready includes ordering Medallion for port pickup and should continue as Green. 

Sailing out of Port Everglades our group of 8 all were 'green' but only two of us already had our Medallions.  After clearing security passengers were divided into two lanes.  The distinction was have a Medallion already or need to pick up a Medallion.  We proceeded straight to a an available agent; the other 6 had maybe a 3 minute wait (and this was at 11 am).

5 hours ago, capriccio said:

Sailing out of Port Everglades our group of 8 all were 'green' but only two of us already had our Medallions.  After clearing security passengers were divided into two lanes.  The distinction was have a Medallion already or need to pick up a Medallion.  We proceeded straight to a an available agent; the other 6 had maybe a 3 minute wait (and this was at 11 am).

It would seem they are altering the App to indicate Blue Lane if guest doesn't order Medallion to be shipped.

ETA:  Seems a silly move in a way since overseas departures will have many fewer guests with Medallion in hand.  Not only with changed ratio mix, but there will be guests heading to Europe and such places ahead of cruise date and may well not receive them in time anyway.

Was it just marketing BS that folks can elect any lane to check-in?  We shall see.  It is also a different situation for check-ins prior to boarding start and after boarding start.  I don't see much change for us as we always arrive early and are in Elite waiting area ready to board.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any ideas as to exactly how this will work if and when Princess does start shipping up north? I just checked our Oct 2023 sailing on the web version of the App and our original order, placed in February, still shows "Status: Pickup at embarkation" . I would expect that once we see here on CC that Canadian shipping has started, I would have to cancel the existing order and re-order, specifying "Ship to Home Address"  The alternative of course will be to leave it as is and endure the horrors of spending an additional 60 seconds picking it up at the counter.

• Haha 1

Hi, we have the same problem in UK but I have just checked their website regarding Princess Plus and it states the following "with no exceptions" and I have demanded that they ship our gongs otherwise we will automatically be in the "blue lane" behind people who either cannot or have not filled in their details. 

Seamless and Speedy Boarding with OceanReady “Green Lane”

As part of our commitment to delivering the smoothest and fastest embarkation process in the industry, the Princess App now boasts an enhanced OceanReady process. Guests achieve express "Green Lane Status" by ensuring all travel information and documents are complete and by having the exclusive Princess Medallion delivered to home before embarkation day when they’ll proceed directly to the ship with no lines or hassles. For the ultimate convenience, both Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages include complimentary Medallion at home delivery. For guests on Princess Standard fares, a nominal shipping fee of $10 per stateroom will be added on Medallion/Accessory orders shipped to home.

Therefore if it states they deliver them with no exceptions then you could have a legal case to make them honor the details on their published website.

8 minutes ago, Two 2 Tango said:

Hi, we have the same problem in UK but I have just checked their website regarding Princess Plus and it states the following "with no exceptions" and I have demanded that they ship our gongs otherwise we will automatically be in the "blue lane" behind people who either cannot or have not filled in their details. 

Seamless and Speedy Boarding with OceanReady “Green Lane”

As part of our commitment to delivering the smoothest and fastest embarkation process in the industry, the Princess App now boasts an enhanced OceanReady process. Guests achieve express "Green Lane Status" by ensuring all travel information and documents are complete and by having the exclusive Princess Medallion delivered to home before embarkation day when they’ll proceed directly to the ship with no lines or hassles. For the ultimate convenience, both Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages include complimentary Medallion at home delivery. For guests on Princess Standard fares, a nominal shipping fee of $10 per stateroom will be added on Medallion/Accessory orders shipped to home.

Therefore if it states they deliver them with no exceptions then you could have a legal case to make them honor the details on their published website.

Most people in the Blue Lane will be like us Canadians and Brits who have applied their info to the app, but need to pick up the Medallion at the port.  Very few people will have to have someone help them fill out everything on the app at the terminal.  If so, I don’t think an extra 5-10 minute wait in line will be an issue for most of us.

As a Canadian traveller, I never had any complaint with the check in at the port without having received our medallions ahead of arrival. As we are elite guests and sometimes in a suite they had priority lanes for us once we passed the security checkpoint. Would be nice to know they still have priority benefits for us even if we are in the blue lane. 
Still no option as of august 12 for shipping medallions outside USA and Puerto Rico. We sail in November and January.  Perhaps they’ll solve their implementation soon.