Getaway Haven

Dollysmom123

Can anyone who's been on the Getaway lately confirm whether or not there are sun loungers around the Haven pool? Although the website photos show them, several of the more recent youtube tours I've viewed only show tables and chairs set up for dining out there. This is and issue for us because we are traveling with our kids who aren't allowed in the upstairs sundeck section.

Thanks so much!!!!

• Like 1

@Dollysmom123 Here is a photo from April when we were on the Getaway. There were no loungers "full time";  However - there were at least 2 times where there were 2 loungers specifically set out by the hot tub areas - I suspect related to the same situation you have with families who could not take their children up on the top deck. There are also the loungers in shallow pool itself and plenty of seating by the sides of the pool. I also saw families turn the chairs to face the pool and used the pool edge as a foot rest and the staff brought them pool towels for extra chair padding.

cNIVELQNR7SLATRzqijO5g?viewBox=1139%2C854&ownerId=AYPJIH1FE2CEG

Hope that's helpful! Warmest, Amy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t been on the GA, but have been on the BA, so I assume it’s the same.  This is one of the things I much prefer about the Haven on the Joy.  There is no outdoor seating in the Haven restaurant, so they use the pool area. There’s also no hot tub on the Haven sun deck.  We found it awkward, eating as people were swimming or in the hot tub.  Much prefer the Joy where there loungers by the pool, hot tubs on the sun deck, and an outdoor seating area in the restaurant.  Not to mention the Observation lounge and the elevator in the Haven complex.  

All that being said, I would do it again in a heartbeat.  😃

• Like 2

This is from Getaway in Dec/January. We've sailed Getaway three times in the last year, plus a couple months. We've never seen loungers in the Haven Courtyard area. Only on the sundeck above. 

image.thumb.jpeg.67a01c0ab8a9e6ebf4a9eb8672abb68d.jpeg

If my memory serves me well (hahahahaha), I am almost positive children are allowed on the sundeck above the courtyard, but not on the sundeck that is closer to the bow. Basically, the loungers you see in this photo on the second deck allow children. But on the sundeck behind this photo on that second deck, do not allow children under 16. I know...that's confusing. Here's a very not professional visual that might be more helpful:

image.thumb.png.35bfaa765207527871b4a50ac385fbf4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the problem with the Breakaway and Getaway. After having supersized inside and outside dining rooms on the Epic, NCL put these tiny restaurants on the BA and GA. The restaurant is so small that they have to use the courtyard/pool seating at busy times... and sitting with that chlorine smell is not how I want to enjoy my dinner. So, not only are you using the courtyard for overflow seating, but you also don't have any loungers around the pool which makes no sense at all. Fortunately, that was corrected on the BA+ ships. 

I also wish they had loungers by the pool.  My understanding is that children are allowed in the Haven pool area and can also use the loungers on the upper deck surrounding the pool area.  As far as I know the only area where the children are not allowed is the outdoor sundeck area.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is the problem with the Breakaway and Getaway. After having supersized inside and outside dining rooms on the Epic, NCL put these tiny restaurants on the BA and GA. The restaurant is so small that they have to use the courtyard/pool seating at busy times... and sitting with that chlorine smell is not how I want to enjoy my dinner. So, not only are you using the courtyard for overflow seating, but you also don't have any loungers around the pool which makes no sense at all. Fortunately, that was corrected on the BA+ ships. 

Exactly.  The Getaway is my least favorite Haven on NCL ships.  Its an afterthought. The Haven restaurant is so small with very few windows to see outside. The Haven sundeck is not that great either and has no water features.  It did get better on Escape and on Encore the Haven is so huge and luxurious. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JIMESOPUS said:

And the courtyard doesn't have a roof, and for about half the cruise the courtyard remained unusable because of the weather

That is a problem.  I really don't understand why NCL decided that the ship without a covered Haven would be their pick to sail year round from NYC.  Who thinks that way!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, goldmom said:

That is a problem.  I really don't understand why NCL decided that the ship without a covered Haven would be their pick to sail year round from NYC.  Who thinks that way!

The same person who thinks sailing to Bermuda in the winter is OK. At least they are moving the GA to NOLA in 2025, sadly the Prima will be here in the winter of 2025 with that open Haven area in back to the ship. Would be interesting to be in that pool during a Nor'easter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

The same person who thinks sailing to Bermuda in the winter is OK. At least they are moving the GA to NOLA in 2025, sadly the Prima will be here in the winter of 2025 with that open Haven area in back to the ship. Would be interesting to be in that pool during a Nor'easter.

We sailed Prima on the first TA.  Haven area outside useless due to weather except in one port. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldmom said:

When the ship was built in the O'Sheehan era, The Getway was built as the Miami ship to sail the Carribean.   Breakway had a roof because it was sailing from NYC.  Sure enough, those plans did not last long and they started moving ships around.  

8 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

When the ship was built in the O'Sheehan era, The Getway was built as the Miami ship to sail the Carribean.   Breakway had a roof because it was sailing from NYC.  Sure enough, those plans did not last long and they started moving ships around.  

Yeah, just not good planning on their part.  I'd prefer the Joy or Breakaway from NYC.  Although I miss the Gem.  Guess I'll have to check out the Prima at some point.

12 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@dexddd and @david_sobe Loved the staff of the Getaway Haven but 100% agree re: disliking the open Haven deckplan. There is something magical about sailing out of NYC in the winter with the snow hitting the roof of the Haven's enclosed pool-deck. Plus - enjoying the pool for the 1st two days on the Caribbean sailings out of NYC in the winter that the rest of the ship misses.

Winter in Bermuda is wonderful - but the Atlantic is rocky and having a covered area is perfect for those cold, rainy, windy sea days.

And guessing from @JIMESOPUS CC name, as a former resident of Kingston NY, we can happily both do without snow on a warm cruise ship!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 7/15/2023 at 5:22 AM, JIMESOPUS said:

And the courtyard doesn't have a roof, and for about half the cruise the courtyard remained unusable because of the weather

What? [swears]. I assumed a retractable roof. I cruise in November. 

2 hours ago, SEAgent said:

What? [swears]. I assumed a retractable roof. I cruise in November. 

no roof, wide open

On 7/13/2023 at 4:40 PM, Dollysmom123 said:

Can anyone who's been on the Getaway lately confirm whether or not there are sun loungers around the Haven pool? Although the website photos show them, several of the more recent youtube tours I've viewed only show tables and chairs set up for dining out there. This is and issue for us because we are traveling with our kids who aren't allowed in the upstairs sundeck section.

Thanks so much!!!!

A little late but......

• Like 1

We have sailed the Breakaway, Escape, and Joy multiple times all in the Haven and by far our favorite was the Joy. We loved the breakaway too, but the dining room is on the small side and no hot tubs on the outer haven sundeck. The Joys Haven sundeck is both port and starboard side hot tubs on both sides. Also the outdoor dining areas on Joy and Escape were very nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1