Ezair issue? Nope — it’s the #$&* airline!

ProfMHC

Woke up yesterday to the dreaded “change to your flexible air booking” email. Fingers crossed it was a minimal change. No such luck. Original (last year) had a four hour layover on our return flights. A few months back it changed to a five hour. Now it’s a seven hour! Okay, enough, I thought. Went to airline website to find an alternative I planned to beg for. There were none! No other flights past noon from EWR to CLT. Unless we wanted to arrive the next day! It’s a two hour flight! So now the plan is to continue to watch and see if they add an earlier flight I can beg for. And if not, thank God we will have access to the fancy Polaris lounge at EWR. Will grab a sleeping pod upon arrival……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfMHC said:

Woke up yesterday to the dreaded “change to your flexible air booking” email. Fingers crossed it was a minimal change. No such luck. Original (last year) had a four hour layover on our return flights. A few months back it changed to a five hour. Now it’s a seven hour! Okay, enough, I thought. Went to airline website to find an alternative I planned to beg for. There were none! No other flights past noon from EWR to CLT. Unless we wanted to arrive the next day! It’s a two hour flight! So now the plan is to continue to watch and see if they add an earlier flight I can beg for. And if not, thank God we will have access to the fancy Polaris lounge at EWR. Will grab a sleeping pod upon arrival……

What date are you Talking about? Far out, maybe a schedule change will work to your advantage.

Looks like UA schedule change is effective Oct 29th, reduced flight schedules.  That might have affected you.  At least you can still check up to your deadline for EZAir ticketing, 45 days before.  

May not be another schedule change now.  Still a possibility though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Looks like UA schedule change is effective Oct 29th, reduced flight schedules.  That might have affected you.  At least you can still check up to your deadline for EZAir ticketing, 45 days before.  

May not be another schedule change now.  Still a possibility though.

I’ll bet that’s it. United slashing flights everywhere 

Passengers blame EZ Air for something out of their control.  It is the airline that is making these changes.  I had similar issues.  EZ Air finally came through for me, but not the optimum.  

What would be your recourse if you bought your airline tickets 9 months ago directly with the airlines?  Would your flight still be cancelled?  Would you be issued a refund?  Grated, the airline might rebook you without a charge but would it be any different that what EZ Air would do for you?  There are risks with booking directly or with EZ Air.  One just has to weigh the consequences and risks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Passengers blame EZ Air for something out of their control.  It is the airline that is making these changes.  I had similar issues.  EZ Air finally came through for me, but not the optimum.  

What would be your recourse if you bought your airline tickets 9 months ago directly with the airlines?  Would your flight still be cancelled?  Would you be issued a refund?  Grated, the airline might rebook you without a charge but would it be any different that what EZ Air would do for you?  There are risks with booking directly or with EZ Air.  One just has to weigh the consequences and risks.

Agreed. At least we have lounge access to while away the time. Could not have gotten business class w/o EZAir 

• Like 3

In EWR you might need those extra hours.  We connected through there on the way to LHR 3 weeks ago.  We spent an hour on the ground after landing.  No worries because the flight we were connecting to sat on the tarmac 3 hours and in our flight ended up being about 4 hours late landing at Heathrow.  EWR is a mess but maybe things will get somewhat better by the time you fly.  Enjoy the Polaris lounge, it is a terrific way to relax and wait out long connection times.

• Thanks 1

From experience...Day 44, I noticed that I did not have a first leg on my return trip.  

1.  Keep checking...manage flight...not just the first page of the travel index.

2.  Even within 45 days, EZ Air will get you something.  They may not be able to get you on a flight that you can see on the airlines website, but they "might" work with you on changing your flight to an earlier one if it won't cost them an arm and a leg.

3.  They can only work with flights that they have contracted with.  Air Canada allows you to fly standby on an earlier flight.  That's what I am going to try to do.  

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1

Given the chaos of airline schedules lately, we no longer book flights that arrive on the day of the cruise.  We always plan to arrive the day before and spend a relaxing evening near the pier the night before.  It gives us some flexibility in case of a canceled or delayed flight.

• Like 3

@ProfMHCYou're 90 days out. Like @cr8tiv1 said, check other airlines & other nearby destinations.  There has to be something closer to a reasonable layover ... Maybe leaving from a nearby airport or arriving at a nearby one and mass transit / driving? Instead of Newark, what about JFK, La Guardia, or (worst case) Islip?? Instead of United maybe Jet Blue or SWA?? Hopefully an alternative 

This is why I take mass transit to the airport. If SFO won't work there's always OAK or San Jose. (Made me look at my United flights!)

Edited by Ombud

On 7/14/2023 at 8:10 AM, ProfMHC said:

Agreed. At least we have lounge access to while away the time. Could not have gotten business class w/o EZAir 

Is it business class that entitles you to the lounge? Domestic flights do not get access to the lounges anymore.  it's for  international flights. Check to be sure so you won't be disappointed. 

6 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

Is it business class that entitles you to the lounge? Domestic flights do not get access to the lounges anymore.  it's for  international flights. Check to be sure so you won't be disappointed. 

Some airlines like United will give you access to domestic lounges when you are connecting to an  international flight and are booked in in Business for the international leg.  Ditto if you have Mileage Plus Gold status or above and are traveling in any class internationally.  MP Gold translates to Star Alliance Gold which will enable you to use SA member lounges as well.