Handicap Cabin Avaialbility $1 Deposit Day

mcrcruiser

Because if the #1 deposit day we are unable to book into any VH handicap category cabin ,then use cliub Orange Upgrade & ass on early booking bonus   of  The Have It All promotion .We were looking at a 24 day cruise . 

So ,Holland set a record in bookings ;but , this kind of record does  not always ring the cash register bell for  in fact permanent sales  .

What now has occurred is we will have some one drive us  to LA & take a competitive cruise line  .This kind of cruise is over $10,000  . no wonder things are falling through the financial cracks  ,when they use this kind of marketing hocus pokus

I’m not quite sure what the OP means. Accessible cabin availability is what it is. There should be more accessible cabins, but there aren’t.

$1 deposit doesn’t keep you from making a ressie for an available cabin. The limited number of accessible cabins  may and usually does limit an upgrade, regardless of Club Orange or any other opportunity, and that does feel pretty rotten. It should be easy to implement a method for upgrading people from one accessible cabin to another, especially if they have opted into the ability to change cabins.

I am sorry about your issue but I do not think the $1 deposit sale had anything to do with your not getting a handicap cabin.  There are so few cabins available on the ships that if they are not booked as soon as the itinerary is release they are not available.  I had friends that were on a waitlist for a handicap accessible cabin for 1 year on another cruise line and never did get a cabin on that sailing.  

Pretty sure that VH doesn't have an accessible stateroom. (I could be wrong.) If you pull up the deck plans for your ship, there's a list of accessible cabins. You can only book those rooms. The sale has nothing to do with which rooms are accessible.

• Like 1

So, someone who needs an accessible cabin booked one of the few before you did. They are faster than you is all. 

You snooze, you lose is the reason, not the $1 deposit. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Pretty sure that VH doesn't have an accessible stateroom. (I could be wrong.) If you pull up the deck plans for your ship, there's a list of accessible cabins. You can only book those rooms. The sale has nothing to do with which rooms are accessible.

VH definitely has handicap state rooms .This criuse is Jan 2024 for 24 days  & I was told no VH  handicap available . . Imo that $1 sale had some thing to do with  Now all Handicap cabins taken on  Koningsdam . We were going to use Club Orange & the early booking Have it All .That is over $10000 cost 

55 minutes ago, RuthC said:

So, someone who needs an accessible cabin booked one of the few before you did. They are faster than you is all. 

You snooze, you lose is the reason, not the $1 deposit. 

Sure .It never has happened before so far out  from the cruise. That $1 deposit made the bookings balloon but ,wait until all the cancelations roll in 

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Sure .It never has happened before so far out  from the cruise. That $1 deposit made the bookings balloon but ,wait until all the cancelations roll in 

We’re in the middle of July, January is not that far away.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, shippmates said:

I am sorry about your issue but I do not think the $1 deposit sale had anything to do with your not getting a handicap cabin.  There are so few cabins available on the ships that if they are not booked as soon as the itinerary is release they are not available.  I had friends that were on a waitlist for a handicap accessible cabin for 1 year on another cruise line and never did get a cabin on that sailing.  

This cruise line has mo wait lists  .now we just  forget it exists & go to another cruise cline that can accommodate us  . .People may say any thing but ,we never never until this $1 sale deposit ever had a problem booking a handicap cabin a year & half from a cruise cate 

Personally ,we will Never personally contact this cruise  line ourselves  .We will only book through our time tested Best TA   on the east coast  & we are in San Diego area   .We wish lines like Norwegian& Royal Caribbean  based a ship here in SD  .  

MSC will be coming to the West coast & that will be major competition . We would only book into their ship within ship class when they do come here

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

VH definitely has handicap state rooms .This criuse is Jan 2024 for 24 days  & I was told no VH  handicap available . . Imo that $1 sale had some thing to do with  Now all Handicap cabins taken on  Koningsdam . We were going to use Club Orange & the early booking Have it All .That is over $10000 cost 

I stand corrected and owe you an apology. There are accessible VH rooms on the Kdam. Screenshot below. Sorry.

Screenshot_20230715-214214.png

• Like 1

DW wants me to use a different  TA ro see if the Handicaps are really all sold out ,so we sent them a e-mail . ,to book it if not sold out .

Today ,was waiting on the phone a long time to speak with a Celebrity booking agent , Great pricing & availability .Just a long wait to get through .This time we will have Uber drive us to San Pedro , over 70 miles .Still would pay not to have to park in that Zoo 

Edited by mcrcruiser

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

I stand corrected and owe you an apology. There are accessible VH rooms on the Kdam. Screenshot below. Sorry.

Screenshot_20230715-214214.png

The problem we always face is that deck 4 only had 4 CH full handicap  balcony staterooms  to book into to use Club Orange for a upgrade .The VA & V are much higher entry prices. So better to enter into a VH .  We do not have that same problem with Celebrity ,Still they are low on Handicap balcony 

Dpesa any one know how any ship decides rhe nymber of Handicap balcony staterooms ?

Cliff

HAL has a habit of not assigning accessible cabins to longer itineraries that are made up of shorter cruises. That improves access to a limited resource for those seeking one or more segments. It does make it a bit more challenging to book a longer itinerary.

A cruise consultant can help string things together.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

HAL has a habit of not assigning accessible cabins to longer itineraries that are made up of shorter cruises. That improves access to a limited resource for those seeking one or more segments. It does make it a bit more challenging to book a longer itinerary.

A cruise consultant can help string things together.

One TA messed things up & they are never going to be used again .We now have sent arequest to a 2nd TA whom we have confidence , will see how it works out  We should get a reply some time next week . Candidly ,It is exhausting to deal with any of these main stream cruise lines any linger .It's no fun & ar rimes a lot os hard frustrating effort 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

One TA messed things up & they are never going to be used again .We now have sent arequest to a 2nd TA whom we have confidence , will see how it works out  We should get a reply some time next week . Candidly ,It is exhausting to deal with any of these main stream cruise lines any linger .It's no fun & ar rimes a lot os hard frustrating effort 

I am not sure if this will help you but on our last cruise a lady who needed a scooter had a cabin right off the aft elevators. Her scooter was parked across from her cabin every night as there was plenty of room for it. She also had a special mattress that the stewards put in her room as she had a bad back and she needed that mattress to sleep on. I am not sure of your exact situation but if you are mobile enough to walk 10ft from the scooter to your cabin this may work for you.

6 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The problem we always face is that deck 4 only had 4 CH full handicap  balcony staterooms  to book into to use Club Orange for a upgrade .The VA & V are much higher entry prices. So better to enter into a VH .  We do not have that same problem with Celebrity ,Still they are low on Handicap balcony 

Dpesa any one know how any ship decides rhe nymber of Handicap balcony staterooms ?

Cliff

I'm no expert, but if you were planning on upgrading your cabin through club orange anyway, couldn't you book a non accessible VH and upgrade to an accessible veranda in the higher category?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

DW wants me to use a different  TA ro see if the Handicaps are really all sold out ,so we sent them a e-mail . ,to book it if not sold out .

Today ,was waiting on the phone a long time to speak with a Celebrity booking agent , Great pricing & availability .Just a long wait to get through .This time we will have Uber drive us to San Pedro , over 70 miles .Still would pay not to have to park in that Zoo 

I’d happily pay an Uber if I could get to any port driving.  Having to commit an entire day to flying isn’t fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yerdua said:

I'm no expert, but if you were planning on upgrading your cabin through club orange anyway, couldn't you book a non accessible VH and upgrade to an accessible veranda in the higher category?

And then what happens when all the higher category accessible cabins are booked. Is it because the sensible cruisers booked with the $1 deposit and were a bit looser with the purse strings than OP?   Whoa, that could lead another thread......

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

So, problem solved. You've got a cruise booked. And since you like Celebrity better than HAL, it sounds like a good solution, even with the Uber. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Whoa, that could lead another thread......

Noooooo!

Seriously, though. The number of accessible rooms and the types

(fully accessible, single side, and ambulatory) is a function of ship's design. You're dealing with a very competitive category of rooms, much like the hard to get aft wraps or aft verandahs.

• Like 2