Saturn's Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer-July 19-August 2 LIVEish

Clay Clayton

Clay - thanks for all the nice pictures!  Obviously you aren't having any wifi issues (so far) like we did on Saturn a few weeks (where it was basically worthless from 6:30 AM to 9 PM).

Any luck on the web cam fix?  Wonder who would listen to you?  Tell them hundreds of your ardent followers want to see it fixed!

• Like 2

Yes , on  the Jupiter in June the resident historian often had lecture at 6;15 or 6:30. 
heard it was to free up  early seating in Restaurant  . But on our cruise we had no sea days too. 
I watched them at night or the next early morning on the tv in stateroom . 

Edited by Azulann

Clay—there will be trivia—everyday. Matt will preside.

As for the wi-fi—Yes, it works in Reykjavik, but was extremely slow most days on our cruise and numerous errors/fail in uploading pictures.

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Clay - thanks for all the nice pictures!  Obviously you aren't having any wifi issues (so far) like we did on Saturn a few weeks (where it was basically worthless from 6:30 AM to 9 PM).

Any luck on the web cam fix?  Wonder who would listen to you?  Tell them hundreds of your ardent followers want to see it fixed!

It's slow. I'm using my T-Mobile cell plan here in Ísafjördur. Haven't seen anyone to ask about the webcam yet. But will for sure at the M&G later today. 

3 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Clay—there will be trivia—everyday. Matt will preside.

As for the wi-fi—Yes, it works in Reykjavik, but was extremely slow most days on our cruise and numerous errors/fail in uploading pictures.

Not yet.  None listed for today.  

We can go home from the cruise happy.  Awoke to another beautiful party cloudy day in Ísafjördur and headed out to Vigur Island.  And there were lots of Puffins and attacks from Arctic Terns.  They give you the sticks to hold above your head so that the terms attack them and not you!   A definite must do excursion while in Ísafjördur!

IMG_5355.jpeg

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5396.jpeg

IMG_7074.jpeg

IMG_7075.jpeg

IMG_7079.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just spoke to the General Manager.  He was unaware of the webcam issue. He got on the phone to the Staff Captain so hopefully it will be addressed shortly.  Let me know if it isn't and I'll ask again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just spoke to the General Manager.  He was unaware of the webcam issue. He got on the phone to the Staff Captain so hopefully it will be addressed shortly.  Let me know if it isn't and I'll ask again. 

Odd. I emailed, and got a response from, the ship over a week ago. It was clear from the response that the "IT Team" was blowing smoke. The panomax on Saturn has not been right from the time it left Ancona. Maybe the GM is not getting needed information from crew members.

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

There is a first for everything! Pretty long line to board Viking Saturn this morning.  After receiving our key cards at the outside tent, we then boarded and had to wait in Manfredi's for about 15 minutes. Then went to Chef's Table where they checked our passport and sent us to our muster station for a life jacket demonstration.  Probably an hour from exiting the cab to being "free". 😂

So happy to be back onboard.

IMG_7031.jpeg

IMG_7032.jpeg

IMG_7030.jpeg

I wonder if busloads of Viking transfers arrived at same time as you or they are no longer taking early flight arrivals to Harpa for checking in and getting cards.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

I wonder if busloads of Viking transfers arrived at same time as you or they are no longer taking early flight arrivals to Harpa for checking in and getting cards.

They took us to Harpa, but didn’t check us in there. We took the earliest bus to the ship from Harpa and breezed thru embarkation. Timing is everything! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slewis7 said:

@Clay Clayton Glad to see you enjoyed the Vigur Island excursion!  That is tour I am thinking of taking when we are in port at Ísafjördur next year.

We did that tour a few weeks ago to Vigur Island.  It was fantastic!  We had no rain but it was very windy and very cold!!!  (dressed for winter - with wind chill it was like in the high 30's).  Iceland weather is famous for changing rapidly!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Clay worked his magic.  Panomax now working.

20230720_132836.thumb.jpg.8079f9331d4a1c64eb08b6e8dc5f5a85.jpg

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

We did that tour a few weeks ago to Vigur Island.  It was fantastic!  We had no rain but it was very windy and very cold!!!  (dressed for winter - with wind chill it was like in the high 30's).  Iceland weather is famous for changing rapidly!

Took a tour to Vigur Island in 1990….remember vividly the attack by the birds and seeing eider ducks and their really  soft down. Planning to return in June and expect the same aggressive birds😁.

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

No😢

Knowing that Viking monitors this board, I actually thought they might make an effort to have them on this sailing just for you!  (Seriously.)

• Haha 1

It’s funny. Mr B pronounced the doughnuts at the WC breakfast as the only edible doughnuts he’s found at breakfast, on 53 cruises. He also loved the cinnamon buns, which I never ate.

Heck, we didn’t even have any successtorte. I think I had an inner alarm system that told me to be careful with my eating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Knowing that Viking monitors this board, I actually thought they might make an effort to have them on this sailing just for you!  (Seriously.)

Maybe pistachios have gone onto the endangered species list.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, May B said:

Maybe pistachios have gone onto the endangered species list.

Good question! So I asked Professor G:

Is there a shortage of pistachio nuts?

Pistachio prices are expected to keep moderately rising on reducing supply this year. In 2021, the average export price for pistachios amounted to $12.2 per kg (IndexBox estimates), which was 35% more than in 2020. Global production is forecast to fall by 16% y/y to 829K tons in 2022 on declines in Turkey and Iran.Feb 21, 2022
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Good question! So I asked Professor G:

Is there a shortage of pistachio nuts?

Pistachio prices are expected to keep moderately rising on reducing supply this year. In 2021, the average export price for pistachios amounted to $12.2 per kg (IndexBox estimates), which was 35% more than in 2020. Global production is forecast to fall by 16% y/y to 829K tons in 2022 on declines in Turkey and Iran.Feb 21, 2022

There were other dessert with pistachios on our cruise (7/5-7/19). I didn’t see the pastry chef this time or I would have asked. @Clay—inquire at the WC for the pastry guy and ask him what gives!

22 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

There were other dessert with pistachios on our cruise (7/5-7/19). I didn’t see the pastry chef this time or I would have asked. @Clay—inquire at the WC for the pastry guy and ask him what gives!

WC took me a minute to understand. Wondered what the water closet had to do with pastry! 😬

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wynnsr said:

WC took me a minute to understand. Wondered what the water closet had to do with pastry! 😬

Are you originally from the UK? I at first wrote “Oh you Brits!”—but your profile says Georgia. 🤔😆

Edited by LindaS272