Norwegian Star vs Prima for Iceland Cruise?

Trixie21

We have been looking at Norwegian Prima for an Iceland/Norway cruise in June 2024.

I have just come across an even better itinerary which is on Norwegian Star to Iceland/Greenland June 024.

Anyone any thoughts on which ship would be better for a cold weather itinerary? I was reading some reviews of Prima and a number of people felt it wasn't well suited to a cold weather cruise. Is the Star any better suited ?

For some context,  We have cruised Royal Caribbean quite a lot and enjoy their smaller ships just as much as the larger ones , so the fact the Star is an older , smaller ship than Prima isn't an issue for us at all. We like somewhere quiet on the ship where we can go read or just relax. Also enjoy some music at nights and usually try to catch the theater shows if they appeal.

So which ship do you recommend ?

If anyone has been on the Star to Iceland this year that would be very helpful - I've already read some reviews from passengers on Prima to Iceland .

I'd say toss up.  We've done Star twice prima once.  Prima has a front lounge, Star no more.  Prima front lounge packed.  Prima not a cold region ship.  Prima nice interior.  Star older.

I guess part is what room?  We did one Star in a DOS on 12 to Alaska without balcony and it was fabulous.

I did the Star to Iceland and Greenland last year. Just wanted to let you know of the 2 sailings only 1 made it to Greenland. I was on the sailing that made it to Greenland and we only did 2 of 3 ports due to weather, and also missed ports in Iceland due to having to go slower between Iceland and Greenland due to weather.

You have to be quick to get excursions-the boat excursion I went in had 10 spots total 5 morning/evening. Buying independent excursions won’t work, people on my roll call booked but then had their booking cancelled because NCL bought them out. 

Ship is pretty nice-highly recommend the thermal spa if you book. It was very nice to sit and see the scenery there. 

We are a few weeks away from the Prima, and I am hoping it is great, but one thing bothers me. They have skipped Isafjordur every cruise waiting for the dock to be extended. NCL seems to allow the Star passengers to tender at that port, but not those sailing on the Prima.

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We are a few weeks away from the Prima, and I am hoping it is great, but one thing bothers me. They have skipped Isafjordur every cruise waiting for the dock to be extended. NCL seems to allow the Star passengers to tender at that port, but not those sailing on the Prima.

We were on the 6/25 sailing of the Prima (had a fabulous time) and the Captain was part of a Q&A towards the end. He was asked about Isafjordur and said they are waiting for the dock work to be completed. They don't know when that will be. They get updates every week or so from the dock and I think that's why they don't cancel too far in advance because as soon as it's ready, they will be docking there. He also addressed the tender issue. They do not have tenders on the ship. I think he said the size of the tenders didn't work well with a ship that size or something to that effect. He said if they have to tender at a port, the port must be the one to provide the tenders and Isafjordur does not. So if the dock is ready by the time you cruise, you should be able to visit, otherwise the port will be cancelled. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to consider: There were NCL cruises that were supposed to have Greenland on their itinerary for the summer of 2023, where the Greenland ports were removed from the itinerary without any explanation other than an e-mail a few months ago (but before final payment date) that just said "Due to newly imposed vessel restrictions in Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland, the itinerary has been revised as follows" - and then instead of 4 ports in Iceland and 2 ports in Greenland listed on the itinerary, we now have a total of 6 ports in Iceland. We chose to not cancel the cruise as we also appreciate to truely explore Iceland through all of those six ports.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DMP609 said:

We were on the 6/25 sailing of the Prima (had a fabulous time) and the Captain was part of a Q&A towards the end. He was asked about Isafjordur and said they are waiting for the dock work to be completed. They don't know when that will be. They get updates every week or so from the dock and I think that's why they don't cancel too far in advance because as soon as it's ready, they will be docking there. He also addressed the tender issue. They do not have tenders on the ship. I think he said the size of the tenders didn't work well with a ship that size or something to that effect. He said if they have to tender at a port, the port must be the one to provide the tenders and Isafjordur does not. So if the dock is ready by the time you cruise, you should be able to visit, otherwise the port will be cancelled. 

The below quote is part of an e-mail a friend of mine received from the Isafjordur port authorities in June 2023, regarding the Star and if we would be docked or anchored on our cruise next month:

Quote:
Subject: RE: Dock V Tender

Greetings from Isafjordur

We had Norwegian Star here yesterday and then they used tenders. There is, however, an ongoing project right now to make the pier accessible (deap enough) for larger ships. We hope that this will be completed now in July, so there is a chance that your ship could be able to dock. End of quote.

Edited by TrumpyNor
spelling error
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Star on the Tromso to Rekyjavik sailing last month. Haven't been on a larger ship, so can't make a direct comparison. Enjoyed the Star, yes it is an older ship but there were shows in the theatre every night, sometimes just one at 8pm and other times two shows 7pm and 9pm. Plenty of music around the ship - Excell Band (who were excellent!) in Bliss, piano and strings in the atrium, Gatsby's etc. There are some really nice quiet window seats on deck 6, which were great for reading with a view. It did feel a bit busy in the buffet in particular on sea days as no one was sitting outside. Hot tubs and pools were still being used though! Walked the deck 7 promenade to get the steps in and were really lucky to see whales breaching relatively close to the ship.

• Like 3

@Trixie21

My sister and I just sailed on the Star, 10 day Iceland/Greenland cruise, R/T from Reykjavik. (Djupivogur, Akureyri, Isafjordur,  Nanoralik, Paamuit and Nuuk)

Four of the six ports were tender ports. We were able to visit all ports except for Djupivogur because it was really really windy. Tendering would not have been safe.

As mentioned in the post by @DMP609, Prima doesn't have tenders so that is why they are skipping Isafjordur until dock is completed. 

The Star is smaller and if it is chilly/windy,  indoor spaces can be crowded. We had a balcony and bought the Thermal Spa pass so we always had some place warm to relax. Some very brave souls did use the hot tubs and the pool!

We were able to find quiet places to read. We didn't see any shows but there was something new every night. 

It is a beautiful part of the world!

• Like 1

I was on the Star's Iceland/Greenland cruise last year that went to Norway instead of Greenland.  I also did a Prima cruise this past Thanksgiving.  Really is a toss up.  Though with the information that the Prima cannot use the lifeboats as a tender option...  my vote swings slightly to the Star.  Prima does have a forward observation lounge, but I'm going to imagine that will be very crowded.  We had a balcony room and the thermal pass on the Star.  Even in July it was chilly.  Side note: most people in Norway were joking about how they weren't getting a summer last year, so it may have been colder than usual. The thermal pass was worth every penny.  It was nice to be able to relax in a quiet area, watch the fjords pass by in the big windows, and be warm while doing it.  I did use our balcony some, but my friend didn't use it at all.  We're both from Maine and accustom to chilly weather.  The ability to watch the scenery go by as you're were sailing through the fjords shouldn't be missed.  IMHO.  It's breath taking. 

My opinion between the 2 ships in general may be a bit tainted.  The Star had only 1300 passengers when I sailed and the Prima had well over double occupancy.  That in itself creates very different experiences.  My biggest complaint about the Prima was that it was so wicked crowded.  If you didn't book something (dining, shows, events...) on day 1 chances were you weren't doing it.  The Star didn't even open one MDR and there were still no wait times to be seated.  If I couldn't enjoy the outside, I'm not sure I'd book the Prima.  Maybe having the thermal pass for the Prima in such a location is needed.  For the Star, having the thermal pass was vital.  Though I'll be back on the Star this October for a British Isles cruise, and won't be getting the pass because it's a very port intensive itinerary.  Hoping that's not a mistake.

Either ship is bound to have its challenges and highlights.  I wouldn't hesitate booking on either.  Tough choice.  Best of luck.  lol!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

The below quote is part of an e-mail a friend of mine received from the Isafjordur port authorities in June 2023, regarding the Star and if we would be docked or anchored on our cruise next month:

Quote:
Subject: RE: Dock V Tender

Greetings from Isafjordur

We had Norwegian Star here yesterday and then they used tenders. There is, however, an ongoing project right now to make the pier accessible (deap enough) for larger ships. We hope that this will be completed now in July, so there is a chance that your ship could be able to dock. End of quote.

🤞, we are supposed to dock there on July 15th. I guess there is hope, but every cruise that does not make it there makes me less optimistic. But thank you for posting that letter.

I was also on the Star voyage that made it to both Greenland and Iceland last year. We've never sailed on the Prima, so it will be Star focused. Regarding cold weather, it was cold. We had a club balcony suite and we could have saved money--it was too cold to use the balcony most days. 

The pools were closed, and the poor pool bartenders were freezing....We did not have a thermal spa pass. We felt that there was not a lot to do on the ship on the sea days. We did play cards a few times but we preferred to play them by the whiskey bar, and if you didn't get there by lunch, tables were full of other card players. I don't remember having to fight for a table at the buffet. 

Just be prepared for ports and/or Greenland to be cancelled. We were mentally ready for Greenland to be cancelled, as the previous cruise went to Norway instead. Because it is in the cruise contract, we did not any port fees refunded for missing 2 ports...so it was a great experience, but just be prepared in case Greenland is cancelled.

22 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

🤞, we are supposed to dock there on July 15th. I guess there is hope, but every cruise that does not make it there makes me less optimistic. But thank you for posting that letter.

My quote was regarding the Isafjordur pier for July/August 2023! So the extension of the pier will definitely be ready for cruises summer 2024....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Another thing to consider: There were NCL cruises that were supposed to have Greenland on their itinerary for the summer of 2023, where the Greenland ports were removed from the itinerary without any explanation other than an e-mail a few months ago (but before final payment date) that just said "Due to newly imposed vessel restrictions in Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland, the itinerary has been revised as follows" - and then instead of 4 ports in Iceland and 2 ports in Greenland listed on the itinerary, we now have a total of 6 ports in Iceland. We chose to not cancel the cruise as we also appreciate to truely explore Iceland through all of those six ports.

Ittoqqortoormiit (wow, many double letters!) is on the east coast of Greenland, whereas the ports that are on Star's Iceland & Greenland itineraries are on the west coast.

2 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

My quote was regarding the Isafjordur pier for July/August 2023! So the extension of the pier will definitely be ready for cruises summer 2024....

2024 does us no good as we are scheduled to land there as a I said August 15th, only a few weeks away.

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

2024 does us no good as we are scheduled to land there as a I said August 15th, only a few weeks away.

Aa you actually said JULY 15th in your post, I assumed that you were talking about next year....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

Aa you actually said JULY 15th in your post, I assumed that you were talking about next year....

Sorry, my mistake obviously. I did say in several different posts that we would be there in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for all the replies - some useful information .

Pros and cons for both ships (as is usually the case anyway ).

Are there any movies available in your room on the Star or Prima ?

My wife sometimes likes a bit of down time on a sea day and relaxing in the room with a good movie would be great , if its an option . We will definitely be booking a balcony at the very least as I cannot cope without one lol.

On our last alaska cruise I spent the early mornings outmon the balcony with a big blanket taking in the scenery as the ship sailed into ports. 

I’ve been to Iceland on both the Star in late July and Prima in September.  Our stops in Greenland on the Star last year were canceled due to weather.  The Prima has a lot of outdoor spaces which are better suited to warm weather ports but we always found quiet places.  Plus Prima is a newer ship.  The Star is older and smaller so should be able to get into Isafjordur despite delays in dredging although they should be done with that for next year.  We found quiet spaces and not a crowded feel to the ship.  The Prima allows purchase of movies in your room unless in the Haven where they are included.  The Star has channels showing different movies but not a lot of variety.  I’d load movies on your iPad or laptop and bring those along to watch in your room even if on Prima.  The selection is limited.  Either ship was enjoyable.  The biggest difference is the newness of Prima.  And definitely get a balcony.  The scenery is spectacular in Iceland.  This is one cruise where we sail for the itinerary not the ship/cabin.

14 hours ago, Trixie21 said:

Thanks everyone for all the replies - some useful information .

Pros and cons for both ships (as is usually the case anyway ).

Are there any movies available in your room on the Star or Prima ?

My wife sometimes likes a bit of down time on a sea day and relaxing in the room with a good movie would be great , if its an option . We will definitely be booking a balcony at the very least as I cannot cope without one lol.

On our last alaska cruise I spent the early mornings outmon the balcony with a big blanket taking in the scenery as the ship sailed into ports. 

You didn't answer what room type.  Suites and above have free ppv.  Other channels very limited.

On 7/18/2023 at 6:55 AM, Trixie21 said:

We have been looking at Norwegian Prima for an Iceland/Norway cruise in June 2024.

I have just come across an even better itinerary which is on Norwegian Star to Iceland/Greenland June 024.

Anyone any thoughts on which ship would be better for a cold weather itinerary? I was reading some reviews of Prima and a number of people felt it wasn't well suited to a cold weather cruise. Is the Star any better suited ?

The Star is one of the oldest and smallest ships in the NCL fleet. The Prima is the newest with the latest features. 

The Prima is purpose-built for cold weather. While people complain that outside decks are less used in cold weather, I don't know of any ship where that is not true. Since we enjoy being outside, wheather on a balcony or on deck, a jacket and cup of coffee makes outdoor seating enjoyable. There are heaters over outside dining areas. The pools and water features are heated. there is an interior lounge. Personally, we also hang out in the Thermal suite looking out over the ocean a lot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Star is one of the oldest and smallest ships in the NCL fleet. The Prima is the newest with the latest features. 

The Prima is purpose-built for cold weather. While people complain that outside decks are less used in cold weather, I don't know of any ship where that is not true. Since we enjoy being outside, wheather on a balcony or on deck, a jacket and cup of coffee makes outdoor seating enjoyable. There are heaters over outside dining areas. The pools and water features are heated. there is an interior lounge. Personally, we also hang out in the Thermal suite looking out over the ocean a lot. 

Thanks for your comments.

Interesting to hear that Prima is purpose built for cold weather.

I wondered why they would deploy her 2 seasons in a row to Northern Europe if she was unsuitable for that region.

Weighing everything up we have decided to go with the Prima.

Just have to get all our ducks in a row with various aspects of the trip before pressing the trigger.

Incidentally the current price for the 2 of us for the 10 day Southampton to Reykjavik is £5500 including the free at sea. Dont know what is good and what isn't with NCL - any comments on that price ? 

Edited by Trixie21