Sailing From Boston

DancersImage

In October we will be sailing for the first time out of Boston. We are flying into Logan Airport on the day of the cruise. We are looking for information from those with experience at this Airport and Cruise Terminal. What is more efficient, taking a Taxi or purchasing the Airport transfer from Celebrity? Thanks for the input and Happy Sailings.   

1 hour ago, DancersImage said:

We are flying into Logan Airport on the day of the cruise.

Flying into Logan the day of the cruise is risky-- much more risky than other airports in the Northeast. Logan is right on the water and is frequently subject to ground stops due to fog/weather/etc. I was in Boston on Friday and my train home was full of refugees from a sudden cancellation of flights from Logan. 

1 hour ago, DancersImage said:

We are looking for information from those with experience at this Airport and Cruise Terminal. What is more efficient, taking a Taxi or purchasing the Airport transfer from Celebrity?

It's very, very close to the cruise port. I would take a taxi or Uber. Its 10-15 minutes-- a transfer that wasn't included will most likely cost much more per person than an Uber. 

I live less than a mile from the cruise terminal in Boston.  While in theory it should take 10-15 minutes, I've never been home in less than 15 minutes and rarely (unless middle of the night) have I been home in around 15 minutes.  It has taken as long as an hour for me to get home from the airport.  

Taxis are easiest from Logan.  They will be lined up outside Arrivals/Baggage Claim area.  For ride shares you have to go to Central Parking (I believe level 1).  It's not hard, it's just a lot of walking and up and down levels.  If time or walking is an issue, I'd grab a cab.  

If you have time, want to save money and  can manage your own luggage, hop on the Silverline (free) which makes a stop at the port. Don't know the time but if the traffic is a disaster which it often times is, could save time.  I also don't recommend flying in on the day of departure not even direct.  

• Like 1

We've travelled to Boston a few times this spring/summer. Taxis or rideshare apps are the way to go over public transportation. There have been ongoing delays and shutdowns on the MTBA and it has been unreliable for us. 

I wouldn't pay the extra for a transfer booked through the cruise line.

Silver line goes thru the same tunnel that car/truck traffic go through, so if there is a traffic disaster (and one of the tunnels is closed now so it's been pretty bad) the Silver Line is also affected

• Like 1

If you use a ride share keep this in mind, only high end, professional cars (ie Uber Black) can pull up at the terminal.  All others must go to central parking.  Getting to your terminal could require a bit of a hike and some up and down in elevators.  If you have a lot of luggage or have issue walking, I'd book an Uber Black or equivalent.  They usually run between $40-$55 before tip.  They are typically large SUVs that can fit a good amount of people and luggage.  I believe taxis can pull up to the terminal (check me on that).  If you look into the transfer through Celebrity, make sure you know where that drops you off at the airport.

21 hours ago, Julma said:

If you use a ride share keep this in mind, only high end, professional cars (ie Uber Black) can pull up at the terminal.  All others must go to central parking.  Getting to your terminal could require a bit of a hike and some up and down in elevators.  If you have a lot of luggage or have issue walking, I'd book an Uber Black or equivalent.  They usually run between $40-$55 before tip.  They are typically large SUVs that can fit a good amount of people and luggage.  I believe taxis can pull up to the terminal (check me on that).  If you look into the transfer through Celebrity, make sure you know where that drops you off at the airport.

Taxis definitely drop off and pick up at the Terminal.  There are marked lanes for them and they generally get the closest curb at Logan to pickup at.  Easiest option for folks with lots of luggage or not fans of app rides

• 1 month later...

Hi, I plan to take the Silver way from Logan to cruise Terminal.  We have no problem walking.  Can someone confirm where to get off?  How has traffic been lately?  How much time should I allot to get to the cruise terminal so that I can arrange cruise check-in time accordingly.  Thanks

18 hours ago, mrmj59 said:

Hi, I plan to take the Silver way from Logan to cruise Terminal.  We have no problem walking.  Can someone confirm where to get off?  How has traffic been lately?  How much time should I allot to get to the cruise terminal so that I can arrange cruise check-in time accordingly.  Thanks

Google Maps gives you a few options using the Silver Line.  Some are a "one seat ride" with a 10-15 minute walk. Others are a 2 seat ride with shorter walks.  Whichever you prefer.

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Does the current tunnel closer between downtown and the Airport affect transfers from the cruise terminal to the Logan airport?

my email from American Airlines is a little confusing.

Thanks.

The Sumner Tunnel closing is supposed to end in the next few days.  That tunnel goes from the Airport to the city, so only a minor affect on traffic TO the airport.  And from the cruiseport you are going to use the Ted Williams Tunnel 99% of the time.

Do check the pricing on cruise transfers, they are usually crazy expensive compared to DIY.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boston hotels are going to be pricey. We've stayed at the Renaissance  Boston Waterfront. Very comfortable, but no included breakfast and the restaurant on site was very expensive. You may find it worthwhile to stay further from the port and take a taxi/Uber/Lyft to the port day of.

On 9/9/2023 at 6:48 PM, Cruzinram said:

Need a recommendation for Hotel for one night stay in BOS. Hotels seem to be very expensive. Sailing on Celebrity Oct 12. Does not have to be anything fancy. Best location would also be appreciated. Thanks!!

For downtown/seaport hotels you'll pay $500++.  Crazy if you're just resting your head.  I'd look south of the city (Braintree, Quincy, Dedham).  I think south is better than north based on where the port is.  If you stay north of the city, you have to come through the heart city to get to the port.  There is typically more traffic that way.

If you have interest in taking the local bus back to the airport from the cruise port, I can report a positive experience.  

Cost: $2.65 per person.

How: After exiting the cruise terminal, walk around the left/West side of the Design Center Building (that building that is directly in front of you) and catch the Silver Line 2 bus at the "Drydock Ave @ Design Center Place" stop just around the corner.  Get off at Silver Line Way (5 minute ride) and catch the Silver Line 1 bus (no additional charge currently) directly to the airport.  It takes only about 10 minutes to get to the airport once on this bus and it has stops at each terminal.

Edited by CaribbeanBound
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CaribbeanBound said:

If you have interest in taking the local bus back to the airport from the cruise port, I can report a positive experience.  

Cost: $2.65 per person.

How: After exiting the cruise terminal, walk around the left/West side of the Design Center Building (that building that is directly in front of you) and catch the Silver Line 2 bus at the "Drydock Ave @ Design Center Place" stop just around the corner.  Get off at Silver Line Way (5 minute ride) and catch the Silver Line 1 bus (no additional charge currently) directly to the airport.  It takes only about 10 minutes to get to the airport once on this bus and it has stops at each terminal.

So many people don't know how easy it is.  The Silverline also has places for luggage storage.