Coastal Kitchen (Oasis)

Can you get food to go? e.g. grab a sandwich at lunchtime or a dessert at lunch/dinner, but not sit down for a full meal.

This seems like a slim chance, but can you also order Coastal Kitchen to your suite like MDR can be ordered?

Is beer/wine at CK on Oasis free for full suites 11-11, and mixed drinks 5-8? (Is it part of the concierge lounge?)

I understand reservations are recommended for dinner. Are reservations recommended for lunch as well? Can you make embarkation day lunch reservation with the concierge when they email you in advance?

I've read people will order up MDR lobster on lobster night, but it looks like lobster is on the menu for CK too that night. Can anyone explain that to me? Random quirk or does MDR use Maine lobsters and CK Caribbean or something?

Thanks! Our first time in a suite...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

Is beer/wine at CK on Oasis free for full suites 11-11, and mixed drinks 5-8? (Is it part of the concierge lounge?)

Yes. Watch a video if you haven't. The suite lounge and CK are basically one big room. Technically those are SL perks but the SL bar is right there.

40 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

I understand reservations are recommended for dinner. Are reservations recommended for lunch as well? Can you make embarkation day lunch reservation with the concierge when they email you in advance?

No reservations accepted for breakfast or lunch. Just walk right in.

41 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

I've read people will order up MDR lobster on lobster night, but it looks like lobster is on the menu for CK too that night. Can anyone explain that to me? Random quirk or does MDR use Maine lobsters and CK Caribbean or something?

The lobster dish in CK contains pieces of poached lobster in a sauce. It's not a whole lobster or lobster tail like in the MDR. You can view the menus in the app. FWIW, we enjoyed the CK lobster but there's not much lobster in the dish. That said, I'd much rather eat in CK than the MDR.

Hope that helps. I skipped the 1st couple questions b/c I don't really know the answer. Maybe someone else will.

• Like 2

its not like haven on NCL, cant have CK deliver to your cabin sadly

must have dinner reservations

when we walked in 'during the day' we could get whatever soda or water we wanted because someone usually was around but never tried to get booze then

in the evening all the booze is free yes and the letter will confirm the hours. and the SL does get full during those hours.

also i found some of the 'snacks' in the SL actually pretty good. def a good place to snack. ive even stopped there after dinner!

Edited by luckyinpa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KSprite01 said:

Can you get food to go? e.g. grab a sandwich at lunchtime or a dessert at lunch/dinner, but not sit down for a full meal.

This seems like a slim chance, but can you also order Coastal Kitchen to your suite like MDR can be ordered?

Thanks! Our first time in a suite...

Coastal Kitchen does not do to go, it is a sit down restaurant. I have seen them pack up stuff to go for a family of four. Mom had come with one child in a carriage and ordered for the whole family. Dad was supposed to come with other child once food arrived. Food came and young child went ballistic. Mom started combining plates and manager came over with covers and she loaded it all in the carriage and left. We saw and heard everything because we were beside them. Mom was embarrassed, we told her no worries, we all have bad days. 

CK does not do room service either. 

There is typically food in the suite lounge all day. There’s continental breakfast type stuff in the morning, cookies and sometimes little sandwiches at lunch, and hot and cold snacks during happy hours. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, luckyinpa said:

also i found some of the 'snacks' in the SL actually pretty good. def a good place to snack. ive even stopped there after dinner!

This. It can even BE dinner.

Wonder had great breaded shrimp during happy hour last month and I wasn't in love with the CK menu that night so I think I had about 20 before we sat down, lol.

• Haha 1

we have never bought the drink plan because of the SL. also we do bring bottles of water and cans of soda back to the suite so after dinner etc just ask the bartender for some unopened cans of X.  this was difficult last time because we were in an aqua suite but when in the CLS it was ez as pie to stock up. that being said, we are such heavy drinkers we do order a case of water for the room but it's just not enough for us addicts.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Coastal Kitchen does not do to go, it is a sit down restaurant. I have seen them pack up stuff to go for a family of four. Mom had come with one child in a carriage and ordered for the whole family. Dad was supposed to come with other child once food arrived. Food came and young child went ballistic. Mom started combining plates and manager came over with covers and she loaded it all in the carriage and left. We saw and heard everything because we were beside them. Mom was embarrassed, we told her no worries, we all have bad days. 

Yeah we have two little kids, hence the question. Trying to plan ahead to minimize kid meltdowns. Vacations I've noticed tend to be higher highs and lower lows in general. We try to keep the kids to the same schedule as home, but it's not always possible.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

dont forget to ask for the donut tray for bfast. i found in May they didnt bring it around as much but we asked for and received what we wanted. they cant get to everyone on one 'circle' of the restaurant.

Thanks for the tip. My kids love donuts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

we have never bought the drink plan because of the SL. also we do bring bottles of water and cans of soda back to the suite so after dinner etc just ask the bartender for some unopened cans of X.  this was difficult last time because we were in an aqua suite but when in the CLS it was ez as pie to stock up. that being said, we are such heavy drinkers we do order a case of water for the room but it's just not enough for us addicts.

That's what makes the suite neighborhood on Wonder/Utopia so great. We had the GS right outside the entrance to the SL so the bar was literally steps away. I'm not a big drinker but when there's free stuff waiting for you virtually every time you come back to your cabin...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

The lobster dish in CK contains pieces of poached lobster in a sauce. It's not a whole lobster or lobster tail like in the MDR. You can view the menus in the app. FWIW, we enjoyed the CK lobster but there's not much lobster in the dish. That said, I'd much rather eat in CK than the MDR.

Super helpful, thanks!

Do you know if you can order two mains at CK? I've only ever only ordered one while cruising before, but there's one night I'm torn between two entrees.

Edited by KSprite01
  • Like 1

Just now, KSprite01 said:

Do you know if you can order two mains at CK? I've only ever only order one while cruising before, but there's one night I'm torn between two entrees.

No problem whatsoever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

when we walked in 'during the day' we could get whatever soda or water we wanted because someone usually was around but never tried to get booze then

in the evening all the booze is free yes and the letter will confirm the hours. and the SL does get full during those hours.

FWIW, the booze answer may vary based on ship. I've heard Oasis has beer/wine/soda available 11-11, but other class ships don't.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

FWIW, the booze answer may vary based on ship. I've heard Oasis has beer/wine/soda available 11-11, but other class ships don't.

That is correct, it's only on Oasis class. You can also get Truly, hard cider, and of course bottled water from 11-11.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KSprite01 said:

Yeah we have two little kids, hence the question. Trying to plan ahead to minimize kid meltdowns. Vacations I've noticed tend to be higher highs and lower lows in general. We try to keep the kids to the same schedule as home, but it's not always possible.

They will bring stuff out to the kids right away, whether it is a fruit cup or pastry at breakfast or rolls at lunch, they will get them something quickly.  You can also go over to the suite lounge and get something for them, I have seen many families do that.  They will also change things if a particular meal doesn't come with what you want.  I have even ordered off the kids menu at lunch when I don't see something I like.  My DH will ask for double shrimp on an entrée because there are only a few typically.  We also will get the lobster tail with no sauce and a baked potato.  Oasis had decent sized lobster tails in May when we sailed.  My DH got both the lobster tail entrée that night and the scallops.

CK was crazy busy the week we were just on in May though, breakfast had a wait some mornings.  We found if we went within a half hour of opening, we were okay though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

CK was crazy busy the week we were just on in May though, breakfast had a wait some mornings.  We found if we went within a half hour of opening, we were okay though.

Funny how this varies from one ship/sailing to another. CK was fairly empty for all meals except for a couple nights on Wonder in early June. We were wondering (no pun intended) where everyone was. Specialty dining was our best guess.

9 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They will bring stuff out to the kids right away, whether it is a fruit cup or pastry at breakfast or rolls at lunch, they will get them something quickly.  You can also go over to the suite lounge and get something for them, I have seen many families do that.  They will also change things if a particular meal doesn't come with what you want.  I have even ordered off the kids menu at lunch when I don't see something I like.  My DH will ask for double shrimp on an entrée because there are only a few typically.  We also will get the lobster tail with no sauce and a baked potato.  Oasis had decent sized lobster tails in May when we sailed.  My DH got both the lobster tail entrée that night and the scallops.

I might have to try the lobster with no sauce on the Wonder next month.  I tried to get the MDR lobster since I had read on here that others had success but was told no food allowed up from the MDR due to COVID.  This was on Harmony last year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I might have to try the lobster with no sauce on the Wonder next month.  I tried to get the MDR lobster since I had read on here that others had success but was told no food allowed up from the MDR due to COVID.  This was on Harmony last year

I haven't tried ordering from the MDR while in CK.  I like some of what is on the new MDR menus but have only eaten in CK since they were introduced.  Our next cruise is on a ship with no CK, so we will see what we think of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

I haven't tried ordering from the MDR while in CK.  I like some of what is on the new MDR menus but have only eaten in CK since they were introduced.  Our next cruise is on a ship with no CK, so we will see what we think of them.

Beef tendierloin and spaghetti bolognese are my favorites.  I miss the  cream of mushroom soup

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Beef tendierloin and spaghetti bolognese are my favorites.  I miss the  cream of mushroom soup

Beef tenderloin has always been my favorite.  I don't usually order pasta, will have to check it out.  We will be in the WJ if I can't get us into main seating though.  I am hoping once final payment happens next week, that I will get off the waitlist. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

.  I have even ordered off the kids menu at lunch when I don't see something I like.

one time i had something made incorrectly and i really didnt want anything else (i think was lunch menu so smaller menut)

he asked me if i wanted something off kids menu and i took the it ! i was ready to just walk without anything and go elsewhere but they really do want you to eat there and be happy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Beef tenderloin has always been my favorite.  I don't usually order pasta, will have to check it out.  We will be in the WJ if I can't get us into main seating though.  I am hoping once final payment happens next week, that I will get off the waitlist. 

i usually dont eat pasta 'out' but i think it was pasta primavera that was very excellent. i wanted it a 2nd time!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KSprite01 said:

Do you know if you can order two mains at CK? I've only ever only ordered one while cruising before, but there's one night I'm torn between two entrees.

We've done it several times.  Lobster night is also rack of lamb night.  I usually get lamb with a side of lobster.  I've also received an entree main as an app.  I'll get just the scallops part of the main as an app.  I also request extra veggies at times, too.  I try not to upset the applecart too much by asking for things that aren't already on the menu.  Just mild variations.  I've never had a problem. 

We were on Oasis last week. Although we did not do it, we saw families come in CK and order to go with no issue. They just plated each dish with a cloche like room service. Families were seated with drinks until their order was ready. Also, if you like steak, I recommend filet night on night 1. Imho, CK blew the specialty restaurant filets away. 

• Like 1