LHR Arrivals and use of e-Gates

klfrodo

I know that there are many people on this board who regularly make international trips.

Ā 

My specific question for now is LHR and e-Gates upon arrival into Customs and Immigrations. Our US Passports do have the biometric chip in them. Has the AI algorithm improved enough where we keep our glasses on? or do you recommend that we remove them when we step up to the camera?

Ā 

I only ask because a few years ago it was touch and go while wearing glasses.

Have been through a number of times this past year (most recently a few weeks ago) and signs are still the same. Ā Having said that, however, the FAQ for the UK gates now says ā€œsomeā€ types of glasses. Ā The staff directing the queues will let you know before they point you to a gate.

Ā 

AD1B2395-4A02-4CD0-A7D4-F0486E9BA204.jpeg.d988053c6303e3ce1f4e5293ccfdc96d.jpeg

Ā 

EB213ADF-BDAF-4E97-A276-A4F7A6ECCBCC.thumb.png.8083f067e118ab915877ee67f75a5db8.png

• Thanks 1

We went through LHR on 31 May 2023.Ā  We both have new passports issued Last January.Ā  I tried going through the e-gate (without glasses) but with my luck it didn't work after several tries.Ā  We were finally directed to go through the line with officials clearing you through.Ā  Had no problem there.

• Thanks 1

I don't wear glasses so I can't help you there, but I still (as recently as a few weeks ago) run in to issues if I haven't shaved in even just a few days, soooo...my recommendation would be to just remove the glasses šŸ™‚

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

I don't wear glasses so I can't help you there, but I still (as recently as a few weeks ago) run in to issues if I haven't shaved in even just a few days, soooo...my recommendation would be to just remove the glasses šŸ™‚

Ā 

Agreed - I long ago learned to just take off my glasses as part of the eGates process. So long as you have two hands, it's a pretty trivial thing to do. So I have no idea whether the eGates would now be any better at recognising me with glasses on.