Nassau - Walking off ship - What to see and do?

britchicknyc

• 1 month later...

I love an adventure, but it was very sketchy the last time I did this walking tour last fall.  Human feces on the sidewalk kind of sketchy, not just too many vendors kind of sketchy.  There were ladies trying to charge us money to climb the staircase, which is not real.  It's sad, but I'm staying on the ship next month except maybe to check out the new port area.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ages ago we got off the ship early and nothing was open yet, so we decided to rent a scooter and go exploring.  We had fun, but ended up in some pretty sketchy places we were happy we got out of unscathed.  One wrong turn and you go from a main-ish street to tarpaper shacks.  

We're considering walking around this time or just hopping a taxi/shuttle over to walk around Atlantis for a bit, then get back on the ship.  

Just an in any port - or US city - there are areas you don’t need to experience. We spent two weeks on the island and came into town a few times. We walked quite a ways from downtown once and it did get a little sketchy” that far out. But that is where the locals shop of course…It’s just like STT or SXM, the tourist area is quite safe while ships are in port, and definitely walkable within several blocks of the cruise pier. 

Since you’re not interested in a crowded beach, or trinkets from the market, there’s really nothing to walk the water front or Bay St for other than shops and bars. If you don’t want a water excursion to Rose Island or an island tour to see the history and perhaps a tour of the Graycliff Hotel and their chocolate, wine, and cigar factory for the family, you can now just enjoy the new facilities right at the pier…

On 8/31/2023 at 9:50 PM, mskaufman said:

Wow, that's terrible.  I wonder what people are reporting in other areas. As with you, Nassau is not our favorite port.

Other areas of the island? I can say that we saw many of the Residencial neighborhoods, and the busier tourist areas like Cable Beach and Sandyport, and we were pleasantly surprised at just how nice and welcoming the residents here are! We’ve only experienced that kind of sincere friendliness while living in Mexico. And obviously the islands of the Bahamas are nothing like the Riviera Maya. These are primarily people who work in the service industry, as Nassau is all about tourism, but also elderly folks who are very respectful. 

For anyone who cares little about getting off the ship and staying near the port, we would highly recommend just taking one of the jitneys (not #10) that pass through the neighborhoods and see that part of the island, and meet locals who get on and off.

For $1.25/p, it’s a very inexpensive way to see the island that your fellow cruisers will never experience. And you won’t have that experience in most cities if the U.S. 😉

We have had cruise stops about a half dozen times (Nassau).  We have always gotten off the ship.  We have gone to the beach, the straw market and Queens Staircase.  I agree that there are nice places.  Also, some places that one might feel uncomfortable.  

When we stopped at Nassau with kids a couple of years ago we took a taxi to the Ardastra conservation gardens.  It was a lot of fun.  The kids got a kick out of feeding the birds and seeing the flamingos.  It is not very big and definitely not fancy but it was nice to support a local organization.  There was a school group there that day so you could see it was used by locals as well. 

We took a walking tour that included the Queens staircase, the greycliff, the chocolate shop, and a few other tidbits.  The staircase was a bit of a climb, but there are a few places on the way up to sit and recharge.  My adult son and I never felt unsafe.  It was 5 or 6 years ago, so I don't know what may have changed.  We have gone to the Straw Market a few times over the years.  The last time we got off in Nassau, we went to Sharkey's for the Conch Fritters.  Have stayed onboard the last 4-5 stops.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:06 AM, PigsCanFly said:

We took a walking tour that included the Queens staircase, the greycliff, the chocolate shop, and a few other tidbits.  The staircase was a bit of a climb, but there are a few places on the way up to sit and recharge.  My adult son and I never felt unsafe.  It was 5 or 6 years ago, so I don't know what may have changed.  We have gone to the Straw Market a few times over the years.  The last time we got off in Nassau, we went to Sharkey's for the Conch Fritters.  Have stayed onboard the last 4-5 stops.

@PigsCanFly This sounds great, do you know the name of the tour company or did you book it through the cruise line? Please share a link if you have one, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I googled Queens Staircase, looks beautiful.  But I read that you have pay entrance to go into Fort Fincastle to get there.  One reference said $1 and another thing I clicked on said $35....

Also it's a walkable distance from the port?  Not sure what to expect in the way of heat/weather first week of February...

3 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

I googled Queens Staircase, looks beautiful.  But I read that you have pay entrance to go into Fort Fincastle to get there.  One reference said $1 and another thing I clicked on said $35....

Also it's a walkable distance from the port?  Not sure what to expect in the way of heat/weather first week of February...

You don't need to pay. There are guides at the staircase who will hit you up for tips in exchange for information. But you can decline their help.

It is maybe a 20 minute walk? I don't remember exactly but it wasn't very far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd recommend the Fish Fry area, about 10-15 minutes past Junkanoo.  It's not a short walk but doable for those not mobility challenged.  There are a ton of restaurants down there.  We went to this one, which was featured on Food Network.

Edited by Cuckoo7

18 hours ago, Educatoria said:

Could anyone, please, recommend a local restaurant, serving Bahamian food for a lunch? Perhaps something within the walking distance from the pier in Nassau? 

We loved "Bahamian Cooking". Its one block up from the port on Parliament Street. It's 3 generations of women making home-cooked Bahamian comfort food. Absolutely delicious. Prices were reasonable too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/CVxfKWzgLEuWWsfn6

• 2 weeks later...

I had planned to catch the bus with the family and go to Love Beach, but this walking tour also sounds fun.  I am interested in the safety aspect of it all though.  There will be a group of us, but I don't want anyone to feel unsafe.  We will be going in July 2024, how could I check into the safety aspect of a self guided walking tour outside the port.