Infinity drama

Boycey

We’re on first day of the second half of a Med back to back on Infinity, and the day has just been enlivened by a 70mph storm coming seemingly from nowhere, which caused the ship to slip its moorings and lean over alarmingly. It took a fleet of 5 or 6 tugboats from Ravenna port to get alongside and push back against the wind to stop us slipping still further. Embarkation has been suspended with reportedly 90 people still to board. As I write there are still 3 tugs pushing us back towards the dockside as the lines were snapped and they’re trying to figure out how to keep us alongside and get the rest of the people aboard. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

31 minutes ago, Boycey said:

We’re on first day of the second half of a Med back to back on Infinity, and the day has just been enlivened by a 70mph storm coming seemingly from nowhere, which caused the ship to slip its moorings and lean over alarmingly. It took a fleet of 5 or 6 tugboats from Ravenna port to get alongside and push back against the wind to stop us slipping still further. Embarkation has been suspended with reportedly 90 people still to board. As I write there are still 3 tugs pushing us back towards the dockside as the lines were snapped and they’re trying to figure out how to keep us alongside and get the rest of the people aboard. 

Thank you for the update Keep us as well informed as you can. 🙏

• Like 1

Captain has just been on to say (a bit defensively) that the storm wasn’t forecast and rightly praising the crew for the way they reacted.  He says there is potential damage below the waterline and we’re currently moving within the port to another berth where an inspection can be made. Departure should have been an hour ago but now obviously delayed. Let’s see what tonight brings👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I remember a severe storm in the Adriatic where we almost did not make it to port; the ship behind us did not.  Then, getting off for our excursions was stopped several times do to the awful lightening.  Several groups, us included, were traveling to Lake Bled in Slovenia. It even snowed in the higher elevations with lots of rain and wind.  I believe it was on the Silly.  Anyway, our captain did a fantastic job.

I hope everything works out okay for you for the rest of your journey!

Edited by Lastdance

4 minutes ago, Boycey said:

Captain has just been on to say (a bit defensively) that the storm wasn’t forecast and rightly praising the crew for the way they reacted.  He says there is potential damage below the waterline and we’re currently moving within the port to another berth where an inspection can be made. Departure should have been an hour ago but now obviously delayed. Let’s see what tonight brings👍

Hoping no damage.   A Princess ship hit the dock in San Francisco last week and the cruise was delayed 4 days while damage was repaired.

Those sudden micro bursts are not uncommon in the Med.  We were on Edge a couple years ago and a wind Blast hit us just was we were leaving Livorno.   Things went flying and a Star Code issued.   About 25% of the  ceiling panels adjacent to where the park Magic Carpet were ripped away and were danging.    It took almost 10 days of the TA Crossing for them to be repaired and replaced.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hoping no damage.   A Princess ship hit the dock in San Francisco last week and the cruise was delayed 4 days while damage was repaired.

Those sudden micro bursts are not uncommon in the Med.  We were on Edge a couple years ago and a wind Blast hit us just was we were leaving Livorno.   Things went flying and a Star Code issued.   About 25% of the  ceiling panels adjacent to where the park Magic Carpet were ripped away and were danging.    It took almost 10 days of the TA Crossing for them to be repaired and replaced.

Yes, I was on a RCCL cruise and the day we were returning to Barcelona was a sea day across the Med. The captain in his daily report said that we were expecting completely smooth sailing all the way into Barcelona. Well, around 2am, I woke up to what sounded like waves splashing over the bow (I had a forward facing ocean view cabin). I peeked out from under the curtain (which had to stay closed at night to not interfere with the Bridge's operations) and sure enough, waves were crashing up and splashing over the bow and we were rocking and rolling. I was fine - just took all the hangers off the rod in the closet - but a lot of people were green the next morning. The captain explained that those storms were sadly not uncommon and were very unpredictable. Ships can also tilt a lot more than our bodies think they can - we feel even small rolling as being much more than the vessel actually is.

• Like 1

We were on the Solstice docked in Venice in 2012. Just came back from shore and were sitting in OVC when there was a slam and shudder and power went out. Then the ECHO ECHO ECHO. Crew were running . A rogue wind hit the side of the ship so hard that it ripped the mooring posts out of the concrete pier and one punched a hole in the ship. Captain was off somewhere so a police boat brought him back. Tugs rushed to push us back to the pier and a new spot was needed as there was nothing to tie up to. Gang plank went into the water just as 2 women were about to step on it!! People on shore were put in a building to wait this out.  Then captain announced " we have regained control of our ship" One of the crewed lied and said it was a problem in the kitchen..lol

• Like 1

Hope all is well and not much damage happened.  That would be scary.  Reminds me of one cruise of ours years ago on Celebrity. All of a sudden our ship leaned over to the side significantly - lots of damage to glasses and dishware crashing to the floor.  As it turns out there was a boat that shot across right in front of our ship and the Captain had to do a very rapid turn to avoid hitting it.  My adolescent son was sleeping in the cabin and almost fell off the bed.  

12 hours ago, Boycey said:

We’re on first day of the second half of a Med back to back on Infinity, and the day has just been enlivened by a 70mph storm coming seemingly from nowhere, which caused the ship to slip its moorings and lean over alarmingly. It took a fleet of 5 or 6 tugboats from Ravenna port to get alongside and push back against the wind to stop us slipping still further.

I wonder what the bill Celebrity will receive for the services of 5/6 tugs for as long as it took. How long were the tugs pushing on the ship? Betcha its not a small # of $$ or whatever currency (Euro??) they get charged in. 

Edited by drowelf

Hi all and thanks to the well wishers. We got underway in the small hours after an inspection late evening. We all got a note under the door stating the captain will announce at 10 what effect it all has on the itinerary but so long as we’re somewhere what’s not to love?

• Like 7

Just to close the topic, according to the captain’s briefing we will make Dubrovnik mid afternoon, so incredible catch back really, though we were seated at the back glass wall of Trellis for breakfast, and judging by the wake we’re going at quite a lick. According to a crew member, so can’t be verified but probably more useful than the theories being shared between us guests, the damage/concern was to the bow thrusters which threatened ability to manoeuvre. If there’s an official statement I’ll share it.

in answer to @drowelfthere were 6 tugs pushing the ship at the height of the storm (hale stones literally the size of golf balls) which lasted maybe 45 minutes, then 3 tugs remained for the next couple of hours. So yes, I imagine quite a bill. Full respect to the tug crews as they raced to help and had they not arrived when they did, we would surely have hit the parallel harbour wall. So good for them.

Back to my kindle and a sunbed…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4