Holland America Line Launches Onboard Credit Offer for AARP Members

LMaxwell

Just now, wdw1972 said:

It did not ask me to attach a copy of the card - it just said I was verified.  My card expires in November, and the HAL site says you have to get verified every year, so I'll do it again after I get my new card.  It would have been nice to get the OBC applied to the 5 cruises I already have booked, but I understand it's a marketing tool to get people to book cruises.

Sue/WDW1972

Sue - give it a few days and check back.  There is nothing that says it's not applicable to existing cruises and the person I talked to at HAL this morning didn't say anything about it not being applicable either.  I'm going to give them time to get it on our Mariner accounts, then call back at the end of the week and see how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zelker said:

No, we didn't have to attach a copy of our AARP card.

I had to attach mine.  I created an account, screenshot the digital wallet version and done.   Now I will wait a week and call.   

5 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I had to attach mine.  I created an account, screenshot the digital wallet version and done.   Now I will wait a week and call.   

Were you on the APP by any chance?  I was on my desktop so it didn't require anything to be downloaded, just fill in our first and last name, email address, Mariner #, birthdate, and AARP #, then clicked on Verify My Membership Status.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zelker said:

Were you on the APP by any chance?  I was on my desktop so it didn't require anything to be downloaded, just fill in our first and last name, email address, Mariner #, birthdate, and AARP #, then clicked on Verify My Membership Status.

I am not using the app    

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I am not using the app    

Hmmmm.  Then I have no idea why some people (like you) had to provide something other than what's on HAL's site.  In any case, fingers crossed for all of us with existing bookings that they apply it.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, zelker said:

Sue - give it a few days and check back.  There is nothing that says it's not applicable to existing cruises and the person I talked to at HAL this morning didn't say anything about it not being applicable either.  I'm going to give them time to get it on our Mariner accounts, then call back at the end of the week and see how it goes.

Do you book direct with HAL or use a TA.   I am wondering who should call.  Thanks 

A couple of things. I sent the verification via desktop and it only required my AARP membership number, I didn't have to send a copy of the card. I have been a member for many years and have paid ahead as well.

I got the verification immediately on the website and within a minute via email

When I notified my travel agent to watch out for it and see if we could get it attached to existing cruises she mentioned that it may not be stackable, that Princess has cut down on using multiple types of OBC and she was surprised that HAL was adding one.

She will call on Thursday, after it is part of my account, to see if it can be added to my existing (non Grand) cruises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mary229 said:

Do you book direct with HAL or use a TA.   I am wondering who should call.  Thanks 

Book directly with HAL, then transferred to TA.  I called HAL because it has to be verified through the Mariner program.  I told her that they bookings had already been transferred to our TA, she looked all of them (7!) up and never said I had to deal with our TA.  Since this doesn't affect pricing, I "believe" it's something HAL can do for us without getting our TA involved.  If they tell me something different when I check back, then I'll contact my TA but for now, not getting her involved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

A couple of things. I sent the verification via desktop and it only required my AARP membership number, I didn't have to send a copy of the card. I have been a member for many years and have paid ahead as well.

I got the verification immediately on the website and within a minute via email

When I notified my travel agent to watch out for it and see if we could get it attached to existing cruises she mentioned that it may not be stackable, that Princess has cut down on using multiple types of OBC and she was surprised that HAL was adding one.

She will call on Thursday, after it is part of my account, to see if it can be added to my existing (non Grand) cruises.

Rich, same for us (have been members for years).  In the fine print, it does look like it's stackable and only says World and Grand Voyages are exempt.  It's so newly announced that I'm sure it will take several days for it to filter through the organization and outside TA's ... and then who knows HOW long for HAL customer service to all get on the same page (if ever)!  😉  Barb

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zelker said:

Rich, same for us (have been members for years).  In the fine print, it does look like it's stackable and only says World and Grand Voyages are exempt.  It's so newly announced that I'm sure it will take several days for it to filter through the organization and outside TA's ... and then who knows HOW long for HAL customer service to all get on the same page (if ever)!  😉  Barb

It might be because I am a new PAID member.  I have had a free membership for a while but never bought one until today 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It might be because I am a new PAID member.  I have had a free membership for a while but never bought one until today 

I bet that's it!!  Too new to be verified immediately through the system.  

• Like 1

Got it approved immediately for myself, but having trouble getting it approved for my wife.  The AARP accounts have the same number and the HAL bookings are in her Marnier number.

UPDATE - hers finally went through!!  Took three times.

Our HAL PCC is checking into whether or not it will be applied to existing bookings (I have three for this Fall).  Lets hope!

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Got it approved immediately for myself, but having trouble getting it approved for my wife.  The AARP accounts have the same number and the HAL bookings are in her Marnier number.

Not sure why, Dave.  We have the same scenario (bookings originally made under my Mariner #, we share the AARP account) and had no problem submitting mine first and immediately did John's after and it worked fine.  If it still doesn't work, maybe log into your AARP account to make sure you both show up on the same account?

I too was approved immediately, but I did call and being told by a HAL Rep that has been there for a while that like Military and Teacher Credit it will only be good for NEW Bookings ONLY after the verification.

Now the other thing that is aword to the wise, If you are a couple that have ajoint AARP account and you also have military credit and CCL stock credit you may not want to register it under the person that has the extra credit. Very recently Princess changed it that if you have Military Credit you also cannot get the CCL Stock credit, but if a couple in the same room one can have the Military credit and one can have the CCL stock credit. I suspect HAL will soon switch over to this mode of paying credits. I generally apply for the stock credit since my name is first on the stock but for this I registered my husband's name and Mariner number we do not have military credit.

SUCCESS! YOU'VE BEEN VERIFIED
We verified your eligibility for the special offer you requested.
Find a Cruise
Please allow 2 days before booking to receive your AARP member onboard credit offer.
SheerID handles verification only. Now that you've been approved, please direct all questions about the promotion terms to Holland America Line customer service.

10 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Once an AARP number is used it can not be used for anyone else, that is why it is not going through for you wife.

7 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Once an AARP number is used it can not be used for anyone else, that is why it is not going through for you wife.

Except that it finally did on the third try - crazy!  I have confirmations on both of us and now will keep it in our file.  Good thought on Stockholder in one name and AARP in another.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 2

Everywhere I'm reading (including the PointsGuy article), it is stated or implied it is for new bookings. @LAFFNVEGAS's screen shot says "wait 2 days before booking" for example.

Too bad I changed a booking to a longer booking last week as that should have qualified as a new booking (AND it costed us $600 in OBC).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Both of us are on the same AARP account (with the same number) and have been for years, and I had no trouble using it for mine and then immediately using it for John's.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Everywhere I'm reading (including the PointsGuy article), it is stated or implied it is for new bookings. @LAFFNVEGAS's screen shot says "wait 2 days before booking" for example.

Too bad I changed a booking to a longer booking last week as that should have qualified as a new booking (AND it costed us $600 in OBC).

Hi, Elizabeth.

I think the "wait 2 days before booking" has to do with the AARP info getting migrated into one's Mariner account.  NOWHERE does it state that it's only applicable to new bookings and the woman I talked to at HAL this morning didn't tell me I couldn't apply it to our existing bookings, just that she had been told to tell me to give it a few days to get in our Mariner accounts, then call back, give them our Mariner numbers, and ask them to apply it to all our bookings.  So we'll see ....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

Hi, Elizabeth.

I think the "wait 2 days before booking" has to do with the AARP info getting migrated into one's Mariner account.  NOWHERE does it state that it's only applicable to new bookings and the woman I talked to at HAL this morning didn't tell me I couldn't apply it to our existing bookings, just that she had been told to tell me to give it a few days to get in our Mariner accounts, then call back, give them our Mariner numbers, and ask them to apply it to all our bookings.  So we'll see ....

Hopefully this works, because I’d love $100 OBC on my Eurodam cruise in just over a month.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zelker said:

Both of us are on the same AARP account (with the same number) and have been for years, and I had no trouble using it for mine and then immediately using it for John's.

I did the same for me and my wife.

Edited by ExArkie
  • Like 1

I think the need to scan or photograph the card is because you may not have an online account. I noticed when I dug out my card, the "create an online account" sticker was still on it. It took about 4-5 minutes for it to be verified from the photo.

• Like 2