Holland America Line Launches Onboard Credit Offer for AARP Members

LMaxwell

On the HAL page it says "when booking your next cruise," which sounds like new bookings only. Too bad, I have two cruises long enough to qualify for $200. I don't see "new bookings only" in the "fine print," although that does end with "Other restrictions and exclusions may apply,"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be one of the most tracked Topics on this site for the next few weeks!  Once we all find out the secret to getting this applied to existing cruises.....My guess is 90% or more of the cruise critic members that frequent the HAL category are eligible for AARP membership.  HAL knows it demographics. 

I can't see HAL not making it applicable to cruises booked as too many people would try to reface/rebook, which costs them time and money.  OBC costs HAL very little as people spend it on high margin things like drinks and shore excursions.  

Smart move by HAL.

Edited by CNSJ
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Nodakboiler said:

Hoping they will keep the AARP gift cards and this isn't substituted for them.

As soon as I get home I will apply for my latest credit card to churn points and purchase a bounty of gift cards.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

This will be one of the most tracked Topics on this site for the next few weeks!  Once we all find out the secret to getting this applied to existing cruises.....My guess is 90% or more of the cruise critic members that frequent the HAL category are eligible for AARP membership.  HAL knows it demographics. 

I can't see HAL not making it applicable to cruises booked as too many people would try to reface/rebook, which costs them time and money.  OBC costs HAL very little as people spend it on high margin things like drinks and shore excursions.  

Smart move by HAL.

Our TA just tried to add to a previously booked cruise and told it is for new bookings only- would have to cancel and rebook at current prices to add it

• Thanks 1

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Darn it,I don't have that one, but when I'm ready for it I know who I'll be asking for a reference 🙂

Still pondering which one, will email you if I choose a different card.  On the road right now so I need to get home first and see what else has broken in my house😂

• Like 1

Thank you to the OP for starting this thread and telling us about the offer. I did it about 10 minutes ago. I did have to upload an image of my AARP card (I'm on a desktop computer). It didn't take long for the verification to come through. Now I'll make a note to self to check back in a few days. I also did the Educator Discount last week. 

Karen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Actually you don't.  When you click on the link on HAL's site,  click on Verify Your AARP Membership, then fill out the few things they ask for and click to submit it.  It immediately said it was confirmed and sent us each an email confirming it as well.  The person I talked to at HAL said to give it 4-5 days for it all to migrate into our Mariner accounts and then call back and have them applied to all our existing bookings.  So we'll see.

Exclusive AARP Member Offer | Holland America Line

Thanks for the link, added my AARP number to the system

• Like 2

So if it's for new bookings only, HAL will get an object lesson into how to P*** off ships full of otherwise happy HAL cruisers with AARP numbers. We currently have two bookings which would qualify for the $200 level credit, and I'm willing to bet we don't get it.  As I am an unlucky gambler (no lottery winnings here), I hope I am wrong again on my bet!  I do have my official notification that I've enrolled in the program though. 

• Like 2

The program details on HAL website showing the OBC $$ amounts, says "per stateroom" so not per person.

As for submitting or not proof of AARP card, when doing DH it went straight through. Mine said they needed a copy of the card uploaded. Received email confirmations for both. It is same AARP account number but obviously 2 HAL Mariner numbers.

I submitted request on behalf of both of us in separate emails hoping if they deny one they'll at least approve the other. I do have some cruises I'm doing without him.

Plan to wait until end of week or early next week to let their systems catch up and see what happens before I start calling.

Good luck to us all.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If anyone applies for the OBC please let us know of your success 

I just asked my TA to find out how to get this offer ..I have 2 bookings coming up and we shall see!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

Found out that Teacher OBC is only once per year but they did apply it for already booked cruises. Assume the AARP OBC will be similar?

The PointsGuy said more than once a year, but nowhere said or implied that it could be apply to already booked cruises. "New Bookings Only" is not in writing so far, but more people have been told that is the case than have reported it will be retroactive.

19 minutes ago, Nodakboiler said:

Found out that Teacher OBC is only once per year but they did apply it for already booked cruises. Assume the AARP OBC will be similar?

My Teacher OBC was applied to 4 bookings this year. In order to have to applied to my one booking for next year (so far) I was required to reapply , which I did today and got my verification pretty promptly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Got it approved immediately for myself, but having trouble getting it approved for my wife.  The AARP accounts have the same number and the HAL bookings are in her Marnier number.

UPDATE - hers finally went through!!  Took three times.

Our HAL PCC is checking into whether or not it will be applied to existing bookings (I have three for this Fall).  Lets hope!

We also have the same number, I keep getting I exceeded limit.....what's the secret? 

1 hour ago, Level six said:

We also have the same number, I keep getting I exceeded limit.....what's the secret? 

I just applied for both of us, same AARP number of course, but at the last second I used a different email address for myself than for him, and it went through immediately.  I may not have needed to do that but thought they might reject us with same email address.  

We board a HAL ship on Saturday and there's no way we get any extra OBC that soon.  I could ask my agent to look into it though she will think it's a wild goose chase.

• Like 1

I'm trying not to be an idiot but I cannot find anything on the HAL webpage about this.  I even entered "AARP" in the search box and nothing came up.  I looked at my Mariner profile page and I don't see anything there either.  I also looked at the AARP page and don't see anything there.  Am I blind or stupid?

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tryingtocruise said:

I'm trying not to be an idiot but I cannot find anything on the HAL webpage about this.  I even entered "AARP" in the search box and nothing came up.  I looked at my Mariner profile page and I don't see anything there either.  I also looked at the AARP page and don't see anything there.  Am I blind or stupid?

Thanks!

Never mind.  I found it.  The answer was stupid.  😂

• Haha 5