Starting in October , Visa for Brazil

Ex-Airbalancer

In the past Canadians have always needed a visa for Brazil, it was good for 5 years but cumbersome to obtain, you had to visit or mail your passport to a Brazilian consulate office in Canada such as the one in Toronto then they would attach the visa to your passport mail it back to you or you could pick it up….very time consuming and you are trusting your passport to the mail service…sound like now this will be done electronically good for us.  Yes you need it for a port stop…

• Thanks 1

The Brazilian Government first announced its decision to resume the visitor visa requirement for citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States back in March of this year. A visa exemption had been established in 2019, but the failure of Canada and the other countries to subsequently grant reciprocal status to Brazilian nationals prompted the government to reintroduce the visa requirement effective October 1st.

I've seen nothing suggesting that cruise passengers will be exempted from this requirement

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've seen nothing suggesting that cruise passengers will be exempted from this requirement

From research I have done, I agree with this statement.  If you plan to leave the ship, you would have to have a Visa.

Interesting however that travel.gc.ca indicates no visa required for up to 90 days.  Guess because it is not required until October 2023.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

Last time we had to go to the Brazilian Consulate (near Bloor/Bay subway station) in Toronto. Need to take passport photo (strictly need not be "passport" photo, but easier to make sure it's accepted), pay money, and hand your passport over.

Pick up days later.  They paste the visa on a page in your passport.

There was someone who was born in Italy (as stated in his passport), also applying for visa.  The Consulate asked him if he also has Italian passport, he said yes, the Consulate told him visa is exempt for Italians, so he didn't have to apply (for visa with Canadian passport).  I don't know if that is still true now, but if it is then those with Italian passports can save.

18 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

From research I have done, I agree with this statement.  If you plan to leave the ship, you would have to have a Visa.

Interesting however that travel.gc.ca indicates no visa required for up to 90 days.  Guess because it is not required until October 2023.

There are a few countries that will waive the visa requirement for cruise passengers, with certain limitations such as how far from the port they can travel, but I agree that Brazil does not appear to be one.

I'd also noted the lack of a "heads up" for the pending change on the travel.gc.ca.. As you know from the discussions on ETIAS, changes can be announced without being implemented right away so, yes, maybe the website only makes the changes on or very shortly before they come into effect. 

Brazil's Canadian embassy website discusses the pending changes, supporting my long-standing recommendation that whenever and wherever you are travelling, it's always wise to visit the websites of the embassies of the countries you'll be visiting.

Back in 1996 , wife book a last minute trip on December 20 to a resort in Brazil thought Sears travel leaving January 1st

Got to the airport and the airline clerk ask for visas 😱

which we didn’t have as the travel agent never said anything 

Next day went to Sears and watch the jaw drop on the agent as she walk in as we were at her desk 

Sear paid for the visas and change the vacation to February 

Someone was on their honeymoon that they had booked in June and was never told about a visa 

She was pissed 😉

the best story was when we drove home from the airport , on January 1st , got home our daughter ask why we didn’t leave 

we told her we didn’t have a visa , she said why didn’t we use our Mastercard instead 🤣

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

If you plan to leave the ship, you would have to have a Visa.

I don't know if the rules have changed, but when we travelled to Brazil by cruise back in 2014 ALL passengers had to have a visa, whether planning on going ashore or not. There were many unhappy people at check in who were not allowed to board as they didn't have a visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, burnabyjean said:

I don't know if the rules have changed, but when we travelled to Brazil by cruise back in 2014 ALL passengers had to have a visa, whether planning on going ashore or not. There were many unhappy people at check in who were not allowed to board as they didn't have a visa.

Good point. Lots of disappointed foreign cruisers have been denied boarding in Seattle for an Alaskan cruise stopping in Victoria because they didn't have the requisite visa to enter Canada. The "Then I won't get off the ship" argument never works. If a visa is required for Canada, Brazil or anywhere else, you'd best have one to avoid disappointment at embarkation, unless the cruise line has alternative arrangements for securing visas for passengers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, burnabyjean said:

I was going on the premise that in pre clearance procedure that if you did not have a visa, the ship would flag your key card and stop you from disembarking, but what you and Fouremco are saying makes sense...  

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

It looks  like  they are just making it easier to get the VISA

There has been no Brazilian visa requirement at all for Canadians over the past few years. I personally don't view reimposing the requirement as making it easier, no matter what system they use.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I was going on the premise that in pre clearance procedure that if you did not have a visa, the ship would flag your key card and stop you from disembarking, but what you and Fouremco are saying makes sense...  

Unfortunately in many countries, when Visas are required, you are prevented from boarding the cruise at embarkation. If a ship arrives in a port and some pax do not have the requisite Visa, the ship may not receive clearance, as you require a Visa to enter the territorial waters, not just go ashore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Hopefully they will make it an online application without sending your passport away

I thought  that was the idea mentioned in the link you posted??

Maybe I am missing something

Usually an E VISA  is electronically attached to your passport

Can I apply for a Brazilian visa online?

Yes, Canadians are eligible to apply for the Brazil eVisa online from October 2023. This means they won't have to visit a Brazilian Embassy or Consulate to get their Brazilian Tourist Visa.

Please note: The window for the application isn't open yet. You can apply now with us, and we'll keep your information secure before submitting the eVisa application system on your behalf as soon as it opens.

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, Canadians are eligible to apply for the Brazil eVisa online from October 2023. This means they won't have to visit a Brazilian Embassy or Consulate to get their Brazilian Tourist Visa.

Please note: The window for the application isn't open yet. You can apply now with us, and we'll keep your information secure before submitting the eVisa application system on your behalf as soon as it opens.

I guess I missed that maybe I need to my eyes checked 🤔😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The link is not actually the Brazil government website but a company that does visas 

I am hoping maybe you can do it directly with the Brazilian government instead of an out source company

https://www.ivisa.com/about-us

27 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The link is not actually the Brazil government website but a company that does visas 

I am hoping maybe you can do it directly with the Brazilian government instead of an out source company

Yes I figured that out  😄

Hopefully by Oct  they will have something on their Government website   to obtain the VISA online  like other Countries  do

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Hopefully they will make it an online application without sending your passport away

Based on the link you provided in your original post, it is an eVisa with online application, for most people.

We are on the GSA&A leaving Fort Lauderdale on Oct, 7, we just received our package from HAL today and there is no talk about requiring a Visa  four Brazil at this time, our Roll Call are all aware that we may have to apply by Oct, 1 however some of us are boarding the ship on Sept 24 so we are all eagerly waiting from further information.  Our Embassies are saying that additional information should be out by Sept. 1, we are all hoping that the process will be the same as what we used to visit Australia and NZ last fall. At that time it took us 5 minutes to get our ETSA for those countries,  Keeping fingers crossed that it is will be easy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, xjust4fun said:

We are on the GSA&A leaving Fort Lauderdale on Oct, 7, we just received our package from HAL today and there is no talk about requiring a Visa  four Brazil at this time, our Roll Call are all aware that we may have to apply by Oct, 1 however some of us are boarding the ship on Sept 24 so we are all eagerly waiting from further information.  Our Embassies are saying that additional information should be out by Sept. 1, we are all hoping that the process will be the same as what we used to visit Australia and NZ last fall. At that time it took us 5 minutes to get our ETSA for those countries,  Keeping fingers crossed that it is will be easy.

When you find out please post it here 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Here's a link to the e-application for a Brazilian visa -- seems that Canadians can start to apply now. 

.https://formulario-mre.serpro.gov.br/sci/pages/web/ui/#/instrucoes-iniciais-visto

Not  sure that is  the new  one  that says you have to present the application to the  Brazilian Consulate

"8 Bring or send the printed Receipt, along with the original documentation, to the Brazilian Consulate where your Visa Application will be processed.

Every Brazilian Consulate has its own workflow. For any questions regarding fees and payment methods, as well as types of service offered, please contact the Brazilian Consulate where your Visa Application will be processed.
Visa fees are not refundable."