Starting in October , Visa for Brazil

Ex-Airbalancer

The link I posted earlier (post 21) is to the Brazilian embassy in Ottawa. At the time I posted it, it stated that they were not yet accepting applications, but that info would be available there. It seems the most up-to-date. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Not  sure that is  the new  one  that says you have to present the application to the  Brazilian Consulate

I need to apply in the next month or so, and will find out if the application at the link I posted above (which is from the Brazilian government) is sufficiently up to date. 

Note that the link provided in post #1 points to a private company that procures visas on behalf of clients. I'm not using a private company to get the visa --  but will be dealing directly with the Brazilian Consulate in Toronto.

Edited by lots-of-km2

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Yes, but not my link in post 21.

True. But Canadians who need Brazilian visas for the beginning of October 2023 need to have a way to get them beforehand, notwithstanding the remarks on the web page your link points to.  Better to try with the already-published application forms now than to wait for the bureaucracy to crank something out on Oct 1. 

Edited by lots-of-km2

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

I need to apply in the next month or so, and will find out if the application at the link I posted above (which is from the Brazilian government) is sufficiently up to date. 

If you need it before Oct 1st  then your link will work

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

If you need it before Oct 1st  then your link will work

Need it for mid October travel (and not before), but I intend to file the application ~six weeks ahead of that as I don't know the consulate's processing time.

16 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

True. But Canadians who need Brazilian visas for the beginning of October 2023 need to have a way to get them beforehand, notwithstanding the remarks on the web page your link points to.  Better to try with the already-published application forms now than to wait for the bureaucracy to crank something out on Oct 1. 

From what I've been able to determine, Canada-based Brazilian consulates are not issuing visas at the current time (no matter what application form you choose to submit). The question facing travellers such as yourself is how far in advance of October 1st will they start accepting visa applications. Given the fact that they must allow sufficient time to process applications for those arriving in Brazil at the beginning of the month, those travelling mid-October will have an extra couple of weeks for their applications to be processed.

I certainly understand your concern, particularly given the publicity over the extensive delays with such things as passport and NEXUS applications and renewals. You might want to contact the Toronto consulate to see what information they can share with you that might help alleviate your concerns.

• CONSULATE GENERAL OF BRAZIL IN TORONTO

Jurisdiction: Ontario (except the Capital National region), Manitoba and Nunavut.  

77 Bloor Street, suite 1109, Toronto, ON M5S 1M2

Tel: 1-416-922-2503

Fax: 1-416-922-1832

E-mail: cg.toronto@itamaraty.gov.br

Home page: toronto.itamaraty.gov.br

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From what I've been able to determine, Canada-based Brazilian consulates are not issuing visas at the current time (no matter what application form you choose to submit). The question facing travellers such as yourself is how far in advance of October 1st will they start accepting visa applications. Given the fact that they must allow sufficient time to process applications for those arriving in Brazil at the beginning of the month, those travelling mid-October will have an extra couple of weeks for their applications to be processed.

I certainly understand your concern, particularly given the publicity over the extensive delays with such things as passport and NEXUS applications and renewals. You might want to contact the Toronto consulate to see what information they can share with you that might help alleviate your concerns.

• CONSULATE GENERAL OF BRAZIL IN TORONTO

Jurisdiction: Ontario (except the Capital National region), Manitoba and Nunavut.  

77 Bloor Street, suite 1109, Toronto, ON M5S 1M2

Tel: 1-416-922-2503

Fax: 1-416-922-1832

E-mail: cg.toronto@itamaraty.gov.br

Home page: toronto.itamaraty.gov.br

I emailed them on July 15. On July 17 this was their response:

Dear Sir / Madam,

There is still no official date for starting the issuance of visitor visas for Canadian nationals. Additional information will be posted to the visa section of our website as it becomes available.

Cordialmente, / Best regards,

If anyone gets a different response, please post it here. 
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 5:23 PM, millybess said:

If anyone gets a different response, please post it here. 

Got a differently worded response from the Brazilian Consulate in Toronto on Aug 22, but confirming no progress on how to apply for the visa.

Dear XXXXX,

So far, the Consulate has not received an update on the visit visa process for Canadian citizens.   

It will be adopted the modality of electronic visa, which was in force before the unilateral exemption.    

However, we still haven't received the details of the digital platform to apply for the visa. As soon as we are informed by the Ministry of External Relations of Brazil about how to apply for the visa, we will update our website.   

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ivisa.com/brazil/blog/brazil-visa-requirements-for-canadians#:~:text=Yes%2C Canadians are eligible to,application isn't open yet

It's third party, but it says that Canadians can apply online beginning in January.  

Of course our concern is that it doesn't help us personally because our trip is in January and final payment is due at the end of next month.  At the moment we are considering cancelling.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Yikes.  Moved my Oct 2023 trip to Jan 2024 because of the current uncertainty on obtaining a visa. Will need to keep monitoring.

I'm sorry to read this.  We will definitely be keeping an eye on the situation.  I'm thinking "e-visa", but I'm just concerned how long that will take.

The visa requirement has now been shifted to Jan 2024.

Here's the current update excerpted from https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado-toronto/visas/general-information:

DO I NEED A VISA?

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States are currently exempt of Visitor Visas. This exemption includes traveling to Brazil for purposes of tourism, business, transit and sportive or artistic activities to which the maximum allowed stay is 90 days, extendable for the same period, provided that the visitor does not exceed 180 days of stay in the Brazilian territory every 12 months, counting from the date of first entry.

The Brazilian Government has decided to resume the requirement of visitor visas for citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan and the United States and it will take effect from  January 10th, 2024

If you hold a valid Canadian passport and intend to travel to Brazil on or after January 10th, 2024, please check our website closer to that date. Further information on how to apply for an electronic visa will be posted when made available by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The latest from our consulate.  I just received this email today.

Dear Madam,

Visitor visas for Canadians are not yet available to the public. 

The Government is working on the online platform that will be used by applicants to request electronic visitor visas. The visa will be issued electronically, with no need to attend the Consulate.

We suggest visiting the visa section of our website in early December for updates on the availability of the new platform. https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado-toronto/visas

Best regards / Cordialmente,

Consulate General of Brazil in Toronto 

Consulado-Geral do Brasil em Toronto

http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, millybess said:

The website is available as of today. Still a little “buggy”. 

https://brazil.vfsevisa.com

Given the url I wondered if this was an official site. I  was directed to it by https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consulado-toronto/visas/visitor-visa which is definitely an official site.