Covid is alive and well on the Breakaway!

VacationGuy

Just tested positive for covid-19 after returning from the biggest fiasco of a vacation from NCL aboard the Breakaway's Mediterranean cruise. I plan on writing a detailed review of the many other issues that we had to deal with, but thought a quick note about this might save others form a similar fate...even thought it's too late for those onboard now. I guess it's true that the only thing that cultures germs better than a laboratory is a giant mass of people being herded from from place to place around a ship at sea. The staff was always busy cleaning, but since the pandemic is "over" I'm guessing that the current practices fall somewhat short on the sanitizing front. One might think that an industry known for outbreaks of disease would strive to have working soap dispensers in the public lavatories, but that seems far from the case. I would estimate that over 50% of the ones I tried to use were either empty or not working properly, and some rest rooms with multiple dispensers had none that worked. Hope this helps someone avoid the same fate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, VacationGuy said:

Just tested positive for covid-19 after returning from the biggest fiasco of a vacation from NCL aboard the Breakaway's Mediterranean cruise. I plan on writing a detailed review of the many other issues that we had to deal with, but thought a quick note about this might save others form a similar fate...even thought it's too late for those onboard now. I guess it's true that the only thing that cultures germs better than a laboratory is a giant mass of people being herded from from place to place around a ship at sea. The staff was always busy cleaning, but since the pandemic is "over" I'm guessing that the current practices fall somewhat short on the sanitizing front. One might think that an industry known for outbreaks of disease would strive to have working soap dispensers in the public lavatories, but that seems far from the case. I would estimate that over 50% of the ones I tried to use were either empty or not working properly, and some rest rooms with multiple dispensers had none that worked. Hope this helps someone avoid the same fate.

Your posting provided that:

1.  The staff did alot of cleaning.

2.  Soap dispensers were frequently not usable.

3.  You caught Covid.

Not sure how this information will help "someone avoid the same fate"????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Being in crowds of people exposes you to airborne virsus like flu, cold and Covid. Its not going away so take time to weigh your risks and then take appropriate precautions like wearing a mask if you are concerned.

Sorry OP is ill but virus borne illnesses are not going away

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Sorry OP is ill but virus borne illnesses are not going away

Yes, really sorry if you're ill OP, I'm just wondering what kind of preventative measures you and yours took prior to the cruise.  I was just on the Escape end of June but had taken a Covid booster shot a couple of weeks prior to the cruise and I seem to be just fine. I'm very grateful for that. 

I have another cruise coming up end of November for which I will take the same preventative measures.  I really do wish more could be done to keep other's from becoming ill.  

Hope you get better soon. Good luck

Edited by All-ready2cruise
spelling
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I got Covid on a cruise a few months ago. 3 out of 4 friends who just got back from a cruise got Covid (2 mild "like a cold", one pretty bad). I'm considering wearing a mask for an upcoming trip when indoors. It sucks to have a vacation ruined like that. 

47 minutes ago, VacationGuy said:

Since the spread of COVID-19 occurs via airborne particles and droplets is seems your concern about soap dispensers if misguided. 

People who are infected with COVID can release particles and droplets of respiratory fluids that contain the SARS CoV-2 virus into the air when they exhale (e.g., quiet breathing, speaking, singing, exercise, coughing, sneezing). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My family (incl some 70 year olds) and I got covid on the Encore a few weeks ago.  My first time having it.  At this point, I feel like it's pretty endemic and thankfully not as big of a deal according to our Dr's.  I kinda feel like we're just getting to the new normal.

• Thanks 1