Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You and I are not too far apart.  But for me, if I didn’t want the services included I would go back to Aqua class.

Why would you go back to Aqua class just because you do not get a butler?  I agree with the other poster that there are so many other benefits of the Sky Suite that still make it much better than Aqua class. 

3 hours ago, clojacks said:

Phoenix Dream...I'm only quoting you out of convenience, not necessarily because I think my reply is directed at you...it was just a good place to post it...

I agree that most suite passengers don't come across as elite, but in retrospect, when was the last time you saw a post from Inside or OV passengers complaining that their cabin steward was late bringing them their new daily towel, or that they didn't think they should have to ride the elevator up 12 floors to get to the buffet. The label of "elite" is probably better than the one that may come across as more accurate when we read thread after thread that goes something like this..."I'm a SS and CS Elite+ passenger and I can't believe that I had to walk up 1 flight to get MY COFFEE this morning because the Retreat team said it would be 10 minutes"...and the label that comes across a little more to mind is bordering on "entitled". I might suggest all of you disrespected Suite passengers start a private group on the other social media site instead of trying to foster sympathy from the 90% of us who will possibly never get to sail in suites.

Just wait until you have to launder your own towel or wash your own dishes after eating in the buffet.

35 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

I don't see advertised that stocking an Aqua Sky suite mini-fridge is included.  Is this a perk of the Aqua Sky Suite or did you purchase a special package?

Our mini fridge has been restocked by the Butler when we are in a suite, regardless of level of suite.  IME what they will supply varies by butler, particularly in any of the Sky Suite categories.

• Like 1

Yes many of the butlers have offered this service since most suite dwellers have the premium package.  It however nothing with the minibar has ever been an advertised perk of suites until you get to RS and above.

This is one extra I'm pretty sure the Retreat Team will not be doing.  I suspect this team will be reactive to individual requests but not proactive with suggestions to make your sailing more enjoyable.  I guess time will tell.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

I agree. It pains me to see them harm the brand, while charging more.  This latest move must surely increase the guest to crew ratio.  It might be time to look to Silversea, Regent or Seabourn. 

Question: if you look to Silversea, which is also owned by Royal Caribbean Group, aren't you concerned that they'll do the same cost cutting type measures there they've done to RCL, Celebrity and their formerly owned Azamara before spinning them off? All in the name of increasing profits/revenue?

2 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Question: if you look to Silversea, which is also owned by Royal Caribbean Group, aren't you concerned that they'll do the same cost cutting type measures there they've done to RCL, Celebrity and their formerly owned Azamara before spinning them off? All in the name of increasing profits/revenue?

Yes, that’s real risk there as well.  But I can’t see RCL cutting back on Silversea unless Carnival and NCL do the same on Seabourn and Regent, respectively — which of course, they might. We shall see. 

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

I do not understand why someone books a Sky Suite then says they don’t use the butler.  Why are you throwing your money away?  Just get a verandah cabin and eat in the buffet.

Sarcasm???....my meter is only half pegged by this comment....I book Sky Suites and rarely make requests from my butler. I like the Retreat Sun Deck, the usually quiet Retreat Lounge and Luminae. Once I subtract the OBC and Perks, the cost is certainly more than a Veranda but not a horrible difference (assuming I had the similar perks) but my room is also nicer, bigger and has a bathtub. I don't need to be waited on hand and foot but if there are things I would like, I will certainly make a request. I see too many people justify acting like entitled Lords and Ladies of the Manor expecting their butlers to fawn over them 24/7....it's borderline ridiculous at times. Just reading some of the "What do you have your Butler do for you" threads is absolute comedy to me.

Edited by neverlaysup
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Well, before I order my latte at Starbucks I make sure to tell them that I stayed in a Celebrity suite recently.  Funny how my order takes the same amount of time whether I tell them or not.

You do realize you could have sped up that time had you told them you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express instead?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Robert de Beaumont said:

Yes, that’s real risk there as well.  But I can’t see RCL cutting back on Silversea unless Carnival and NCL do the same on Seabourn and Regent, respectively — which of course, they might. We shall see. 

NCL also owns Oceania.

4 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

How can I contact shoreside concierge if I'm booked in a Sky Suite?  Never sailed on X before and now I'm rethinking the cruise I booked.

Retreat phone is 1-877-RETREAT.  Are you wanting to cancel?

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

Our mini fridge has been restocked by the Butler when we are in a suite, regardless of level of suite.  IME what they will supply varies by butler, particularly in any of the Sky Suite categories.

Same here our 4 Sky Suite cruises post Covid, we had butlers that stocked our fridge with whatever we asked for, that included beer, premium bottled water, vitamin flavored water and lots of red and white wine. We were never charged for any and while this is not a posted suite amenity a good butler makes it happen; this I am sure will go away with the new teams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

This is a risk with any cruise line right now, Royal Caribbean Group owned or not.  All businesses are interested in increasing profit/revenue.

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

That was why I sent an email on Saturday to Celebrity executive offices and got a phone call in response to my scathing email yesterday, I wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth,

Did you hear from the correct orifice? 🤣

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Did you hear from the correct orifice? 🤣

It was mostly more of Celebrity Kool-Aid you know what orifice that eventually departs the body from. I do not drink Kool-Aid either.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Retreat phone is 1-877-RETREAT.  Are you wanting to cancel?

I'm not there yet.  Right now I'm at the point where I regret deciding to give Celebrity a try.  The alternative I was looking at is almost fully booked (and is booked up in the categories I'd be interested in).  We booked a room based on the services it said we would get and now it seems like they will just change those perks at will.  With a year to go before my cruise I am concerned there will be nothing left by then.  It's not the butlers so much as what the change represents.  I am not at all interested in trying out this cruise without Luminae and the Retreat areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But you see, I think the exclusion of zeniths is just a deep a cut as all the others...you sound angry at suite passengers as if they had something to do with it.  Maybe they did?  IDK.  My view is that most all cuts are negative regardless of who they immediately impact.  I'm sorry about the Zenith exclusion from Michael's...that's crappy...but try directing your anger at the appropriate entity.

Well said.

Many who have posted on this thread (me included) are not directly affected by the change but don’t like the way the change was made. Many of us (me included) also posted with concern when Zeniths were not allowed to return to the Retreat Lounge post covid although again I wasn’t directly affected.

I think all of us know that the hospitality industry needs to evolve over time. It needs to respond to trends, competition and the economic climate…What most of us are saying is there are better ways to do it.

Don’t market a product as including something (room service, butler) then pull the plug as if doesn’t matter, as if it isn’t diminishing the product/experience.

Communicate clearly changes made to guests rather than them finding out on social media.

The position of Zeniths is exactly the type of change most of us on this thread are complaining about…

• Like 9

From my point of view all of this pro and anti 'the rumoured change' is irrelevant.
If you booked and paid for a promised level of service and inclusions then that should be honoured.
If Celebrity choose to remove butler service (or anything else currently offered) from a suite category then they should clearly announce a date at which the change will commence. Any cruise bookings after that date know what to expect and can book accordingly.

My wife and I are about to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary on the Edge this Christmas on a New Zealand cruise. This will be our first, and most likely only, suite experience as her health is such that this will most likely be our last cruise and/or extended trip.

We have had this 'once in a lifetime' celebration booked since November 2022 and it is very much a special event for us. Ridiculously expensive at almost $20K AUD, but worth it as a final indulgence to celebrate a life well lived.

If Celebrity are now going to screw around with the entitlements and inclusions AFTER we have booked it then I am just disgusted. 😞

• Like 18

2 minutes ago, Wookie01 said:

From my point of view all of this pro and anti 'the rumoured change' is irrelevant.
If you booked and paid for a promised level of service and inclusions then that should be honoured.
If Celebrity choose to remove butler service (or anything else currently offered) from a suite category then they should clearly announce a date at which the change will commence. Any cruise bookings after that date know what to expect and can book accordingly.

My wife and I are about to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary on the Edge this Christmas on a New Zealand cruise. This will be our first, and most likely only, suite experience as her health is such that this will most likely be our last cruise and/or extended trip.

We have had this 'once in a lifetime' celebration booked since November 2022 and it is very much a special event for us. Ridiculously expensive at almost $20K AUD, but worth it as a final indulgence to celebrate a life well lived.

If Celebrity are now going to screw around with the entitlements and inclusions AFTER we have booked it then I am just disgusted. 😞

Regardless of this butler cutback, I hope that your cruise turns out to be a trip of a lifetime. 

• Like 16

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

So I embark this coming Sunday in a Sky Suite on Summit. I'm either going to be covered by a Retreat Team or a lame duck butler. I'm honestly not sure which to root for.

Please let us know how you get on. Regardless of the cutbacks I hope you have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1