Is Celebrity going to Eliminate Butlers on Sky and Celebrity Suites?

terrydtx

13 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

I believe IVs are staterooms, not suites.

That was the point.  If IVs were so good then they would have put them in the suites.  Part of a larger discussion.

Similar to if the new group "butler" service is really an upgrade then they would put them in the top suites.

If something really is better they will upgrade the top suites to that service.  But they did not and BSed about the reason for it.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

That was the point.  If IVs were so good then they would have put them in the suites.  Part of a larger discussion.

Similar to if the new group "butler" service is really an upgrade then they would put them in the top suites.

If something really is better they will upgrade the top suites to that service.  But they did not and BSed about the reason for it.

Fair enough.

20 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

If they were so good, other cruise lines would have copied them too. RCL is copying them but only doing a very limited amount on their new ships, still have plenty of traditional verandahs, however.

• Like 2

I'm not pleased with the change, the communications strategy, bait and switch, etc. It's a big portion of the Retreat customers that just got crapped on. (And, guess what, the upper rooms are just more square footage and same asthetic, with what can almost always be covered with OBC or relatively modest cash charges (specialty dining, marked up booze, etc.), yet the same Luminae and bread sticks in the lounge.)

Just adding that, while possibly unpopular, if Celebrity allowed ordering of food to ones location via app, then that could help.  A lot of what the Butlers seemed to do, regardless of the suite, was act as food runners (afternoon room service cheese plate).  I don't need to know the name of the runner, or have to go back to the room to use the corded phone next to the bed or in the toilet closet to order it.  Same for laundry, etc.  

That being said, I know the first cruise we took on Celebrity (and ever) was vastly improved by the Butler (Gordon) who introduced us to cruising, along with the Retreat. Take away the total experience, and some personal points of contact, and it may not have been.  And, the second cruise a year later, more hiccups compared to the year prior, and that had nothing to do with room size.  It was the entire operation not positioned to deliver and exceed expectations without being challenged.  It ultimately did, and there were standouts that made up for some service failures. 

Then, now this, and other changes by a leader who just doesn't seem to care if anyone has a great time, and then who cuts out one of the tools she has to help deliver that great time, and even course correct during a trip.  (That's what great hotels and resorts do).  

An inclusive vacation, and a Retreat experience, where the customer advances the cost, labor is relatively inexpensive (factually, it just is given their model), should avoid anything but weather, big technical issues, and force majeure events.     

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

More photos of your new Retreat Team

image.jpeg.9420edd93ee7ffc5530bac46d2927797.jpeg

image.jpeg

Royal has done some of this for bartending.  I am not a fan...  It was so impersonal and sterile...  The drinks were not all that good. 1414858539_DC4P83602014-11-0115-57-20-1650x1100.jpg

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

If they were so good, other cruise lines would have copied them too. RCL is copying them but only doing a very limited amount on their new ships, still have plenty of traditional verandahs, however.

That very limited amount likely mirrors the percentage of the Royal demographic that prefers the IVs or does not have a strong preference.

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Royal has done some of this for bartending.  I am not a fan...  It was so impersonal and sterile...  The drinks were not all that good. 1414858539_DC4P83602014-11-0115-57-20-1650x1100.jpg

They will be promoted to helmsman duty soon.

• Haha 3

I am also bothered and displeased with this latest revelation.   I booked the Retreat with a Butler as part of the experience.  Celebrity loves to advertise the Retreat and how inclusive and pampering it will be. 

I wasn't demanding previously in a Sky Suite and for my next cruise, in a Sky Suite, I don't intend to be either.  However, The Butler was (and currently still) is that personal connection you have.  Just as I like to have the same waiters and assistant waiters each night, the Butler is the same in the sense you get to know each other.   I can not see how a 'team' will have that same personalized service.  

My last cruise, my dad hurt his back while we were out on Aruba.  We got back to the ship and he was in so much pain.  We boarded and I saw they had wheelchairs so I got him one.  We get to our deck and as I was pushing him, our Butler saw us. She was so concerned, came over and insisted she push him.  We were like, 'No, you don't have to do that'. Thank You, but no.'  She wouldn't take "No" for an answer.  So, she pushed him to the cabin.  She was so concerned and offered to help in any way and would check on him for the remainder of the cruise to make sure he was ok. Thankfully it got better and didn't last.  Point being...it's things like that.  We passed other crew members on our way to the cabin and noone offered to push him... I wouldn't expect that and it wasn't needed but she saw us and came right over.  

Months ago when the Room Service fees came and even though I'm booked in the 'Retreat' and the fees won't pertain to me I still don't think it's right.   At the time I said...for now the 'Retreat' is excluded. 

AquaClass used to get daily iced tea.  They took that away.

Boarding day champagne went away because of covid.  We are back to normal and the Welcome Aboard Champagne hasn't come back.  Am I able to get any cocktail I wish once I board?  Yes, but that isn't the point.    There are/were little things that set Celebrity apart.   

When getting back on the ship from a day in port, the cold towels and fruit flavored waters are a nice 'Welcome Home' thing to see.   Will this disappear in the future?

I know these are 'little' things that may not mean anything to some people. There are more but this thread isn't about that.  My point is, it's all of those little things that add up and made/make Celebrity...Celebrity.  

I used to sail Royal Caribbean.  I never thought I would leave them.  I did.  Yes, Celebrity is part of the same parent company but there were differences we preferred and haven't gone back.  Sure there were aspects of Royal Caribbean I liked and I wish Celebrity had some but Celebrity just had something that 'kept' me.   

Have I had wonderful vacations on Celebrity with my loved ones?  Yes, I have.  However if the product I came to love changes more than I'd like, I don't think the value is there, and/or I don't like how they continue treating their customers...then the day may come I move on from Celebrity.   If they keep taking things away and continue raising prices and I keep booking then guess what?!  Shame on me.  It'll be my own fault.  Why will they turn things back around if I keep booking? They won't.  By me, I mean we.  

We shall all see how this pans out.  My next cruise is April 2024.  If they do unfortunately move forward with this plan we can only hope they ultimately revert back, like they have on some other things.  ???

They say 'research' helped make these brilliant changes.  Then we have to let our voices be heard.  I will contact the Retreat as others have done.  Will it make a difference?  I don't know but not saying anything won't make a difference as far as keeping the Butlers.  For those that will be cruising, let it be known how you feel.

I too think it's very 'slimy' for how they are rolling this out.  I also feel bad for the Butlers.

What will be next? 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Still showing butlers as part of the Retreat experience for all suites. That’s not on in my book.

We have a CS booked on Apex next May. For the price I’m paying for £2000 more I can go to Regent PH which includes excursions & pre night stay & flights. Similar itinerary. Downside is we would have to fly as Apex will be going from Southampton, so will stick for the next one and will then take a view. 

IMG_8359.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruisefam38 said:

I see three levels of trays, and no retractable or articulating arms, the customer takes the food and places it on the table themselves, is that about right, cublet?

Hello,

Yes, that is correct.

Can I just add, obiter dictum, that this thread reminds me of a headline on the front of The Economist many years ago when discussing [?] 'cold fusion', and it was "Much heat, not much light".

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

I do not understand why someone books a Sky Suite then says they don’t use the butler.  Why are you throwing your money away?  Just get a verandah cabin and eat in the buffet.

Ewwww the buffet with the lowest grade of meats of any venue on the ship?

My primary reason for booking an SS1 on our last Celebrity cruise (Beyond) was the aft view!

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

First they came for the butlers in the “junior” suites but I did not speak up because I was not in a “junior suite”.

Then they came for my private hot tub, but there was no one left to speak for me.

Hi,,,,love that poem,,,so true…….

IMG_2508.thumb.png.8d4d4c6d975c27ac51d60d6e6687ae2c.png

• Like 6

When I posted, way back on page 11 I indicated the three issues I saw of concern.

The removal of an amenity paid for (butler)

The lack of communication.

A breach of trust…

Several posts have indicated that it is the ‘trust’ element that is rattling many of us…

I am frequently seen as a real Celebrity cheerleader and I unashamedly am!!!  I love the product. The service level and ambiance on the ship suits me perfectly. I don’t want a smaller ship, I want a decent sized ship with lots of options of things to do but with the option of returning to the ‘club’ atmosphere of the Retreat areas…

Quite simply future guests are becoming concerned that what they are booking, saving for, paying for and dreaming of may change and not for the better.

This ‘rattling of confidence’, to my mind, started with none Retreat cabins loosing their included room service. Those guests booked with an expectation of being able to dine in suite as often as they liked at no additional cost. It isn’t the $ they now have to pay that upset many who posted it was the moving of the goal post…

Likewise, with this change, Sky Suite guests will be in a position of having to get on with the change to a Retreat Team or cancel. For many guests the change may be minimal, for some it will be more significant but all will be aware they have paid for something and possibly looked forward to something that hasn’t materialised.

I have been unaffected by both issues (First they came…) but still feel my confidence is rattled…Why? Because changes are happening which we are not expecting and which we perceive as significant even if the management team don’t…

I cruise more infrequently than many but then I do splurge! For many reasons (regular followers of my posts will know) my next cruise will be significant and emotional. Planning and looking forward to it has helped me through some difficult days…Do I continue to plan with the facilities my room presently has or do I plan knowing that the goalposts may move? 

Celebrity, I really think you need to listen to your ‘regulars’….Can’t you see the irony of this thread? Most posters are saying, like me, you have a great product don’t spoil it! Many posters are saying we want to continue to cruise with you but be open with us!

Why don’t you start a marketing scheme with a heading like “Moving into the future…”. Be open about changes that are going to happen in the next few years…This doesn’t all have to be negative. I’ll bet all of us who cruise regularly could identify ways Celebrity could up revenue without cutting our pleasure….

For example, why not open up part of the buffet each evening as a speciality pop up with themed menus? You have seen how well ‘A taste of India’ has gone down at Sushi. This would be really appreciated by guests who want a change from the MDR but don’t want a ‘formal’ specialty restaurant. M class would really benefit from this….I could reel off many more suggestions…Perhaps, a new thread…”Let’s give the Celebrity Management Team ideas to make revenue”. Anyone want to start?

Those who are long term CC contributors may remember when Celebrity did respond on this board. Often they simply copied and pasted some factual information, on other occasions they may just acknowledge an opinion…I do wish they still did  this…If we felt our opinions were valued it would go some way to rebuilding trust…

• Like 21

Hi Chemmo , Thank you for the post above and the one on page 11 you have hit the nail on the head so to speak. You posted recently that you have, like me, had a change in your circumstances this year which if like me it has hit you very hard.

Steven & I booked B2B2B on Edge 2 years ago to travel to Australia with very dear Australian friends I am still doing the trip with them as it's what he wanted me to do but I can see it being my last Celebrity cruise. All the changes in the 2 years devalue what we were expecting and further changes are I'm afraid inevitable.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

Hi Chemmo , Thank you for the post above and the one on page 11 you have hit the nail on the head so to speak. You posted recently that you have, like me, had a change in your circumstances this year which if like me it has hit you very hard.

Steven & I booked B2B2B on Edge 2 years ago to travel to Australia with very dear Australian friends I am still doing the trip with them as it's what he wanted me to do but I can see it being my last Celebrity cruise. All the changes in the 2 years devalue what we were expecting and further changes are I'm afraid inevitable.

My thoughts are with you…Moving to a new stage in life is never easy but, like you, I wish to follow my late husband’s wishes and continue to “Make every day count”. I am sure Steven would be thrilled you are doing your B2B2B with your friends as I am sure my Pete will be smiling on me and family as we board Infinity next year….

I think all of us are reflecting on future cruises. Value for money, changes and personal circumstances all come into play…

• Like 13

2 hours ago, cublet said:

"Much heat, not much light".

Thank you for responding about the automaton.  I am also curious about stabilization technology on the robot, as that would be very important on a sea going vessel.  Maybe CalTex is still around and can comment.

You have a point about some of the particulars, but I disagree on the whole.  It took 22 pages for someone to bring cold fusion into the discussion; and I think along with robots, questionable business practices, personal preferences and approaches to traveling, this has been an interesting thread.

I already expressed my appreciation in post #513. 

10 hours ago, djg30084 said:

Hello!

We're only talking about 10% of the total number of cabins/suites that are losing individualized butler service. I always tell people who ask, if it's something you want, you need to be ready to pay for it (so if you need a dedicated Butler, ante up for Celebrity Suite and above).

On S class ship less than 4% are Sky suite & CS cabins , 56 cabins out of 1426 on the Equinox 

On M class 2.7% 30 cabins out of 1092 

only on E class is there about 11% SS&CS CABINS 

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I don’t care about the butlers.  Just don’t tell me they’ve switched to Pepsi.

Oh how I wish they would !!  Save me from having to bring my Diet Pepsi with me. 

11 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Exactly no way I can or will tip a whole team of pseudo butlers.  More for my over worked cabin attendant who no longer has the butler to help out with his or her duties.

I think they are two different issues.  As far as tipping goes, I will still tip extra for excellent service so I will wait and see how it goes with the new team, or if I think instead the cabin attendant does more and then deserves more.  It will still be a personal assessment and choice as always.  No need to penalize the former butlers who are now on a Team.  Not their fault.  I usually tip the Luminae Team extra at the end of the cruise.  Same concept I think.  But I will admit again that I have no current suites booked on Celebrity for the first time in many years.  My last one was in January on Equinox.

39 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

On S class ship less than 4% are Sky suite & CS cabins , 56 cabins out of 1426 on the Equinox 

From my phone conversation yesterday with the Celebrity Executive offices the new butler changes will only affect all Sky Suite categories, not Celebrity suites which will keep the current butlers. Sky Suites include Aqua Sky Suites and Magic Carpet Sky Suites.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think they are two different issues.  As far as tipping goes, I will still tip extra for excellent service so I will wait and see how it goes with the new team, or if I think instead the cabin attendant does more and then deserves more.  It will still be a personal assessment and choice as always.  No need to penalize the former butlers who are now on a Team.  Not their fault.  I usually tip the Luminae Team extra at the end of the cruise.  Same concept I think.  But I will admit again that I have no current suites booked on Celebrity for the first time in many years.  My last one was in January on Equinox.

I am not expecting the team of pseudo butlers will provide the level of service I have gotten in the past. All of our past butlers have provided service that exceeded my expectations, and I compensated them well for that service. Also not once did any butler hang around the last day with his or her hand out for the gratuity. On The Equinox last month, I had to call our butler and ask that she come to our cabin so I could leave her my gratuity.

Only time will tell, and I will be on the Apex in September in a SS.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

It seems pretty obvious to me that this change from individual butler to a Team approach was to handle the much larger Sky Suite load on E-Class ships without hiring more butlers.  So why not just implement it on E-Class and leave S-Class and M-Class suites as they are?  Why across the fleet?  Then we could all have buying options.  If we want a butler don't sail E-Class.  Just like the choice for IV vs. Balcony.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am not expecting the team of pseudo butlers will provide the level of service I have gotten in the past. All of our past butlers have provided service that exceeded my expectations, and I compensated them well for that service.  Only time will tell, and I will be on the Apex in September in a SS.

It will be of great interest to me on how you review this change after your next sailing on APEX.  Thanks!

• Like 2