Changes to Princess Plus, room service fees, Alfredo's and others. Fee changes. Etc

LMaxwell

30 minutes ago, JLC0912 said:

That is a great idea.  Thanks.  That is what we will do.  We are trying to watch our weight anyway, plus it saves more room to try other food.

Does bring up the next question is will there be a fee if you decide to share one of those $15 meals at Alfredo / Gigi's?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm getting confused. Is it:

$14.99 to activate order now + $5 for each order irrespective of where / how placed (which is what I thought it was going to be)

OR

$14.99 to activate order now but no additional charges in app; $5 for phone in room service orders (inc Elite Tea & minibar swap); nc for minibar swap with steward (that's how I do it) & order on TV

I use order now + must call RS to get Elite Tea so that's now $5?

I'm going with a high hopes if it's an elite benefit service such as the afternoon tea that we do have to call RS to place an order for the minimum of a day in advance they should not charge us $5. Only time will tell once this all gets implemented with a true answer will be.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

While I agree with your sentiment, none of this is nickel and diming.  It's significant increases in costs to cruise.  

Also, while your idea of ordering the max drinks might make you feel better, I hope everyone knows that those drinks cost Princess a very minimal cost to provide you.  It won't hurt their bottom line at all.

Really.  How significant of an increase do you figure this is for a standard fare passenger?  Looks pretty minimal.

10 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Really.  How significant of an increase do you figure this is for a standard fare passenger?  Looks pretty minimal.

What in my comment was about a standard fare customer?  If you want to eat at Alfredo's, previously free, you now have to pay $15.  I consider that pretty significant.  Room service charges, ordering form the app.  Seems to me it all costs quite a bit more unless you buy their most expensive AI package.

Edit:  I believe you were mentioning that a standard fare customer wasn't seeing any increase as a default, and yes, I think that is true, unless you take advantage of any other services such as casual dining, then you will now be paying a fee.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
Clarification

2 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

I’m currently in green lane for my August 21 cruise (still green today) Being in Canada we also can’t get medallions shipped and get them at the port.

Will be interesting to see. We have only sailed from Southampton were from my observations the vast majority are picking up medallions at check in. I know it will be different sailing out of American ports.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

What in my comment was about a standard fare customer?  If you want to eat at Alfredo's, previously free, you now have to pay $15.  I consider that pretty significant.  Room service charges, ordering form the app.  Seems to me it all costs quite a bit more unless you buy their most expensive AI package.

We usually pay $50-$100pp per day (standard fare). So just eating at Alfredo's/Gigi's is a 15-30% increase.  I was on Discovery and Majestic three times last year, usually went to Gigi's instead of the MDR, often lunch and dinner..

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, kywildcatfanone said:

OK, so you're not a standard fare customer. Even better:

If you're a PLUS pkg cruiser, room service is waved, app ordering is waived, you get 2 free Alfredo's (or Salty Dog Pub, etc.) 3 course meals/pp. If you CHOOSE to eat at Alfredo's every day additionally on a 7 day sail, that is 5x15 or $75/pp.  If you choose other free venues it's $0.

Still not seeing the significant

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neil_c said:

Will be interesting to see. We have only sailed from Southampton were from my observations the vast majority are picking up medallions at check in. I know it will be different sailing out of American ports.

Why did my first cruise out of Southampton a few weeks ago and I will say that was such a breeze of a check-in even with having to pick up a medallion at the port. Especially considering the mass majority we're all picking up medallions at the port.

12 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Edit:  I believe you were mentioning that a standard fare customer wasn't seeing any increase as a default, and yes, I think that is true, unless you take advantage of any other services such as casual dining, then you will now be paying a fee.

Only one new casual dining location has been added to the for-a-fee column and that is Alfredo's/Gigi's (only one of these at most per ship and not on all ships).  Several others already had fees.

• Like 2

If only the princess sales team could just use us here on cruise critic as their focus group, and hear us out on our genuine thoughts. I mean feedback is key isn't it? Do you think that they really listen to those surveys that we actually fill out? I know I put a lot of thought and time into those.

No worries I know it will never happen, as they really don't care what the people want nor what their thoughts are. 😂

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Only one new casual dining location has been added to the for-a-fee column and that is Alfredo's/Gigi's (only one of these at most per ship and not on all ships).  Several others already had fees.

Very few Grand class ships have a sit down pizzeria. On most of them the only casual pay for venue at the present time is the Salty Dog 

48 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I'm getting confused. Is it:

$14.99 to activate order now + $5 for each order irrespective of where / how placed (which is what I thought it was going to be)

OR

$14.99 to activate order now but no additional charges in app; $5 for phone in room service orders (inc Elite Tea & minibar swap); nc for minibar swap with steward (that's how I do it) & order on TV

I use order now + must call RS to get Elite Tea so that's now $5?

Oops. Missed post #576. 

So it's option #2. Paying $15 on my 2-3 week cruises as that works best for me. Also noticed that my DMW changed in app yesterday. That's where Ocean Now is now. 

27 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Does bring up the next question is will there be a fee if you decide to share one of those $15 meals at Alfredo / Gigi's?

I'm assuming you're kidding.  One person uses their medallion to get the 3 course Alfredo thing, then you share.  No problemo.  As another poster mentioned, you and your significant other can use your $14.00 3 course freebie FOUR times during your cruise - share a pie four different times.  All good.

1 minute ago, JGmf said:

I'm assuming you're kidding.  One person uses their medallion to get the 3 course Alfredo thing, then you share.  No problemo.  As another poster mentioned, you and your significant other can use your $14.00 3 course freebie FOUR times during your cruise - share a pie four different times.  All good.

That's actually the original post I was replying back to. I wasn't kidding You go to restaurants on land sometimes and they do charge you a fee if you are sharing a meal. 

• Like 3

On 7/27/2023 at 7:19 AM, Jeter02 said:

Ugh! I was just reading about this for Alfredo's/Gigi's. I have seen that on Gigi's on the Enchanted they do have some items that are extra charges along with the complimentary regular items. Plenty fingers are crossed that they're not charging you for a full sit down meal there now. If so this is a very sad day. 

Alfredo’s/Gigi’s will no longer be complimentary. It will be a’ la carte or full meal price.

Just now, SB05 said:

Alfredo’s/Gigi’s will no longer be complimentary. It will be a’ la carte or full meal price.

Correct! That comment I wrote even before the webinar had even started but thank you.

12 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Why did my first cruise out of Southampton a few weeks ago and I will say that was such a breeze of a check-in even with having to pick up a medallion at the port. Especially considering the mass majority we're all picking up medallions at the port.

Just think green lane will be very short. Most will be blue lane as they will be picking up medallions. However as you said it is very efficient and last time we sailed in June no real difference between fast tracked and normal green lane

Just now, Neil_c said:

Just think green lane will be very short. Most will be blue lane as they will be picking up medallions. However as you said it is very efficient and last time we sailed in June no real difference between fast tracked and normal green lane

Exactly! Like I said for 10 extra seconds for them to go get your medallion is not going to ruin your life. Haha. I look at it being pre-medalllion days when used to check in and they would have to go get your cruise cards. I used to work at Port Everglades during my college years and helped him with the check in processes It really is not a difficult task to do to go collect ones cabin key or in this case medallion.

18 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

I mean feedback is key isn't it? Do you think that they really listen to those surveys that we actually fill out? I know I put a lot of thought and time into those.

No.  They don't read them, and they don't care about them.  As I mentioned pages ago, they don't need loyal customers, because for every elite that is mad about the benefits reductions, there is a blue medallion cruiser ready to take that cabin.  They will also likely buy packages, and pay for casual dining, etc.

Princess does not care about your loyalty, or mine.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SB05 said:

Hoping someone on a cruise after the updates posts the menu with a la carte pricing (but I've got $29 SD credit to use up)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

OK, so you're not a standard fare customer. Even better:

If you're a PLUS pkg cruiser, room service is waved, app ordering is waived, you get 2 free Alfredo's (or Salty Dog Pub, etc.) 3 course meals/pp. If you CHOOSE to eat at Alfredo's every day additionally on a 7 day sail, that is 5x15 or $75/pp.  If you choose other free venues it's $0.

Still not seeing the significant

It’s significant to some. It’s $14.99 per person per meal now for food that used to be included.

Yes, it’s optional, but it is a change and an increase for those who don’t book a package. It doesn’t personally affect me but I can see why it’s upsetting to those who are affected. Sure, the cruise line can do whatever it wants, but it seems that changing the product (after it has been paid for) is, while profitable, a questionable business practice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Geoffa30 said:

What are the odds of this being the thread with the most pages ever on the Cruise Critic’s Princess board? On Facebook, my feed is just post after post about it too. 

Don't mess with our food!!! 😅🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1