Boarding a cruise a couple days early

JSR

On our last cruise, people were embarking and disembarking almost everyday, even in tiny ports like Flam. How does this work? Is it possible to make arrangements on any cruise or was this one unique? My SIL would like to join us on a GV, a couple days prior to the segment she has booked, we are on the GV. Thanks for the insight. 

Just now, JSR said:

On our last cruise, people were embarking and disembarking almost everyday, even in tiny ports like Flam. How does this work? Is it possible to make arrangements on any cruise or was this one unique? My SIL would like to join us on a GV, a couple days prior to the segment she has booked, we are on the GV. Thanks for the insight. 

Check with your travel agent. It may be possible to do so depending upon the port and enough notice

Interporting, as this is called, depends upon both the willingness of the line (and available space!) and the ports of the itinerary, the latter sometimes an issue for disembarkation when customs could become involved.  Embarkation doesn't have the same issues. 

Much depends upon whether the line is willing to negotiate special pricing for the initial 'short leg' or whether they will ask for the fare for the entire earlier leg, which some lines require.  She'll need to work with her TA or SS rep to see what SS is willing to do in that regard.

Thank you. My TA has asked several times but we both have learned that the information either of us get is as good as the person we are talking to at SS. So any information I can pass on is much appreciated. 

17 hours ago, JSR said:

May I ask if you were sailing a Hurtigruten ship? If so, that would explain it. Hurtigruten began as a mail carrier and ferry service in the Norwegian fjords. It still operates with some of this same mindset, and there are several of their sailings that allow passengers to book on/off at varying ports in Norway. 

SS used to do this and advertised the convenience for a pro-rata fare.  However this was during the GFC and they had plenty of staterooms available.  We boarded in San Juan three days early for a TA that departed from Barbados.  

@terry&mike we were on Silversea Moon 

@texanaust wonder if they no longer find it an option as ships are selling out now. Or maybe only last minute 

Everyone’s response has been helpful. I’ll keep trying while look into different solutions. 

• Like 1

We have boarded a cruise several days early, and paid for the extra mid cruise days. It was all arranged by our TA. It was not last minute. Maybe we were just lucky or just have a very good TA. It was post covid. And on Silversea.

Edited by spinnaker2

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We have boarded a cruise several days early, and paid for the extra mid cruise days. It was all arranged by our TA. It was not last minute. Maybe we were just lucky or just have a very good TA. It was post covid. And on Silversea.

Silversea has always offered this option 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

That ... would be two new data points ...

Yes, probably should have said that earlier but I am bouncing between planning our 71 days, my SIL joining us for a segment and a wedding for 200+... 

• Haha 1