Amber cove - ?Norwegian docking there

FlynGall

I am taking a cruise on Norwegian Epic March 10, 2024. We have a stop in Amber Cove. From what I can tell this is Carnivals cruise port. I tried NCL and they said "we don't dock at other cruise line private areas" and then said it is Amber Cove. I found a site to show which ships dock one and sure enough NCL Epic is docking at Amber Cove for this cruise. Has anyone had experience with or can speak to NCL docking at Amber Cove. Do we get to use the amenities (pool and what not)

There are numerous discussions here about Amber Cove and the circumstances in which NCL docks there and the amenities available. (The NCL rep with whom you spoke was wrong.) I suggest that you do a search in this forum for “Amber Cove” so you can read them. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

Norwegian docks a few miles down the road at a port called Taino Bay. They are a few rare times when Norwegian docks at Amber Cove, this has happen last year when the Escape ran aground at Taino bay

All of the unofficial cruise timetables website you see on google make it very confusing because both Taino Bay and Amber Cove is combined into one port that is commonly called just Amber Cove or also commonly called Puerto Plata

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FlynGall said:

I am taking a cruise on Norwegian Epic March 10, 2024. We have a stop in Amber Cove. From what I can tell this is Carnivals cruise port. I tried NCL and they said "we don't dock at other cruise line private areas" and then said it is Amber Cove. I found a site to show which ships dock one and sure enough NCL Epic is docking at Amber Cove for this cruise. Has anyone had experience with or can speak to NCL docking at Amber Cove. Do we get to use the amenities (pool and what not)

NCL normally docks at Taino Bay which is about 6-7 miles (15 minutes) down the road from Amber Cove. NCL used Amber Cove for a short while after the Escape ran aground causing a hull breach in March 2022, but has since return to Taino Bay. 

OP seems to have it right. Many Epic cruises out of Port Canaveral this winter have Amber Cove listed as a port stop. None have Taino Bay. I'm booked on Epic's New Year's cruise with Amber Cove on the itinerary. I also would like to know more about our day there. No excursions posted yet.

• Like 1

We're on the Getaway this January (2023) and like at least several other sailings before & ours, DR was one of the scheduled port stop AND instead of docking at TB, sailed straight to Amber Cove ... this is especially true for mega ships within NCL's fleet as the harbor channel at TB was (is ??) shallow with work in progress to make it safer then.  Amber Cove can take 2 ships and when not used by Carnival vessels visiting, is open & available to other cruiselines ... it is a nice facility, duty-free shopping with prices lowered than USVI at the time.    

Taxis are available to POI including TB via highway route (not exactly walkable on the basis of distance alone, Google it to see for yourself), AND, they are relatively "expensive" vs. other typical Caribbean ports.   We didn't use the pool while there but others on our sailing did - there are (unsecured) WiFi hotspot(s) in the shops area, clearly marked & off-duty NCL crew members were there as well to get "connnected" to F&F overseas.  Cellular (roaming) signals are solid & strong in coverage, 4G LTE only.  It is a fairly long walk from the ship's berth to the "port" area, and more walking to leave & exit out to ground transportation, "free" golf cart styled shuttle are available for those who rather ride - with the hot sun & tropical climate/weather - but a nominal cash tip is welcomed & appreciated, never declined.   Bring sun protection and bottled water for hydration

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlynGall said:

Has anyone had experience with or can speak to NCL docking at Amber Cove. Do we get to use the amenities (pool and what not)

Amber Cove isn't a private island.  It's a port just like Taino Bay which NCL owns, and both are located very close together in the  DR.  Anyone who docks at Amber Cove can leave the ship and schedule whatever shore excursions you'd like  to do in the DR.  Taino Bay is within walking distance of the town, and if you dock at Amber Cove you'd need a cab to reach a town, but back when NCL was diverting ships to Amber Cove it didn't affect travelers. on private tours or ship excursions very much.

12 minutes ago, Eggs2Go said:

OP seems to have it right. Many Epic cruises out of Port Canaveral this winter have Amber Cove listed as a port stop. None have Taino Bay. I'm booked on Epic's New Year's cruise with Amber Cove on the itinerary. I also would like to know more about our day there. No excursions posted yet.

Is the official NCL website listing Amber Cove as the port for your cruise?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Amber Cove isn't a private island.  It's a port just like Taino Bay which NCL owns, and both are located very close together in the  DR.  Anyone who docks at Amber Cove can leave the ship and schedule whatever shore excursions you'd like  to do in the DR.  Taino Bay is within walking distance of the town, and if you dock at Amber Cove you'd need a cab to reach a town, but back when NCL was diverting ships to Amber Cove it didn't affect travelers. on private tours or ship excursions very much.

Yes, Amber Cove is listed on the official NCL website for itineraries on the Epic sailings.

59 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

We're on the Getaway this January (2023) and like at least several other sailings before & ours, DR was one of the scheduled port stop AND instead of docking at TB, sailed straight to Amber Cove ... this is especially true for mega ships within NCL's fleet as the harbor channel at TB was (is ??) shallow with work in progress to make it safer then.  Amber Cove can take 2 ships and when not used by Carnival vessels visiting, is open & available to other cruiselines

when I was in the DR on the Escape in March there was only one Carnival ship at AC but we still docked at TB as planned.

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

We're on the Getaway this January (2023) and like at least several other sailings before & ours, DR was one of the scheduled port stop AND instead of docking at TB, sailed straight to Amber Cove ... this is especially true for mega ships within NCL's fleet as the harbor channel at TB was (is ??) shallow with work in progress to make it safer then.  Amber Cove can take 2 ships and when not used by Carnival vessels visiting, is open & available to other cruiselines ... it is a nice facility, duty-free shopping with prices lowered than USVI at the time.    

Taxis are available to POI including TB via highway route (not exactly walkable on the basis of distance alone, Google it to see for yourself), AND, they are relatively "expensive" vs. other typical Caribbean ports.   We didn't use the pool while there but others on our sailing did - there are (unsecured) WiFi hotspot(s) in the shops area, clearly marked & off-duty NCL crew members were there as well to get "connnected" to F&F overseas.  Cellular (roaming) signals are solid & strong in coverage, 4G LTE only.  It is a fairly long walk from the ship's berth to the "port" area, and more walking to leave & exit out to ground transportation, "free" golf cart styled shuttle are available for those who rather ride - with the hot sun & tropical climate/weather - but a nominal cash tip is welcomed & appreciated, never declined.   Bring sun protection and bottled water for hydration

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

yes it says Amber cove. That is why I am confused trying to figure it out. When I researched I saw that Carnival owns it and NCL owns Taino Bay. I would just to know if we can use the pool and all those thins with our kids if it isn't a NCL owned property 

• Like 1

Thanks mking 8288 for helpful information about Amber Cove.  Think if offered I'll sign up for an NCL sightseeing excursion to see a bit of the DR.  And yes FlynGall, seems we will be able to use the pool at Amber Cove and whatever else is there but this port apparently doesn't have all the amenities and attractions that Taino Bay provides, but still plenty for your kids to have great fun in the sun.

@Eggs2Go  don't worry about quoting ... just wanted to offer whatever we knew from before, to try to be helpful.  We actually like our stop at Amber Cove, walking around the port area after getting off the ship ... there is a local beach nearby, looked pretty crowded (mainly locals there, during our January stop)  If you click our Semi/Live Getaway report, there's a # of photos & descriptive details of what was there, etc. that should be useful, FWIW.   Taxi fares to various destination nearby were zoned and posted, published & regulated by authorities - and, they're a bit on the "pricey" side - although, NCL's shorex aren't exactly bargains either, LOL.  @FlynGall - hopefully, you'll find some of the chats here helpful.

NCL isn't known for top-notched communications excellence and very often, stay vague and only announced "last minute changes due to unforeseen situations or circumstances, etc." that a port change, cancellation or alternate stop / port has been made "regrettably" to "sail & sustain" for one's (in)convenience 🙄 😳 😤  But, it is what it is.  Plan ahead and make your best call as to what's likely to expect, but do not get upset or be surprised if something else happened while en route and at sea - it's not terrible in itself if you booked NCL shorex, but some of us do plan & book private, local or independent tours on our own - and it's sometimes a mad scramble to contact the vendor & make changes, obtain refunds or able to notify them to cancel and make substituted arrangements for a new pickup & meeting location ... and, to make matters worst, if arrival & sailing time are changed.  Of course, on top of it all - one cannot get mad at mother nature & maritime disruptions.  Go with the flow, pack humors, have patience, and reasons often for us to just "wing" it when & once we get there. 

It does sound like TB is ready and good for mega NCL ships to safely dock there, but if AC is listed - well, plan for it.  There is no practical reason for the pool & other facilities to be closed to NCL pax arriving on a ship and docking there.   Afterall, the shops & stores are open, vendors are selling their crafts, and the locals will do all that can to roll out the welcome mats - and, cheerfully take our mightly U.S. dollars ... and credit cards, etc.  

Happy planning, cruising and safe travel.  Cheers 😎

• Like 2

In May our Getaway cruise went to Amber Cove. Basically got off the ship and a short walk to the free big pool area. Free as in lounge chairs because an umbrella cost $24 or $27, don't remember actual amount. Had to pay it because there is no shade and it was so hot.

There was a zip line available for a fee that passed right over us. There was a restaurant nearby that was pricey. We had chicken nachos, an order of fries, one beer, and one margarita in a plastic cup that was over $50 before tip. There was also a hot dog stand by the pool area that wasn't cheap either.

The pool was very crowded, the water looked murky with stuff floating in it and was warmish, not refreshing.

I really regretted not booking an excursion here.

• Thanks 1

In April we went to Amber Cove on the Encore instead of Taino. I have no experience with Taino Bay but I loved Amber Cove. Beautiful place with a lot of beautiful nature, great photo spots, relaxing hammocks, nice views and you can of course use the pool etc there.

They also have good shops there, everything is modern, the food is good and you can basically book all the excursions like in Taino Bay. I would definitely love to come back ..👍😊

I asked a similar question in another thread because our December, 2023 Puerto Plata stop in the itinerary simply says "Puerto Plata"...no specific dock is mentioned. There have been many discussions regarding Amber Cove vs. Taino Bay...with the majority of people saying NCL docks at Taino Bay. If that's the case, then why does the NCL website state the following under the Puerto Plata section?

• Port Name & Location
    Amber Cove Cruise Terminal. Ship will DOCK at this port

Edited by schmoopie17

In March we were on the Oceania Riviera (Oceania is owned by NCLH) and we docked in Amber Cove.  We were originally scheduled to go to Taino Bay, we were notified a day or two before, while on the ship, of the change.

Amber Cove was very nice and did not impact our excursion to Ocean World.

Whichever one you go too, they are both nice and similar.  Docked in AC last August and TB this past January.  TB is brand new, and because of that to us is the better stop, but both have pools (TB also has a lazy river), shops (TB just has more), food and bars (again TB has more options).  Plus TB has a monkey activity right in the port that is cool and priced reasonably.  But either way you can’t go wrong with either stop and if you book a ship excursion, operators will pick you up and the right place.

16 hours ago, FlynGall said:

yes it says Amber cove. That is why I am confused trying to figure it out. When I researched I saw that Carnival owns it and NCL owns Taino Bay. I would just to know if we can use the pool and all those thins with our kids if it isn't a NCL owned property 

If NCL says Amber cove, then that's probably where you'll be.

Part of why I booked this cruise was that I'd been to Ocean World many years before and really liked it.  You might also want to consider an excursion to Monkey Jungle (this was what we were planning on doing but our ship was one of the ones that were cancelled so I can't personally recommend it) but just wanted to give you some more options since you mentioned you are traveling with kids.

Edited by kitkat343

On 7/29/2023 at 7:30 PM, FlynGall said:

Last February Escape docked at Amber Cove, not Tianio Bay.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:30 PM, FlynGall said:

We are taking a cruise on the Epic in January 2024 and again in January 2025, both times we are going to Amber Cove.  Excited to go there since we have never been.  Watch the youtube videos, paddle boarding, zip line, etc are not expensive there.  They have a pool and 2 waterslides that are free.  

• Like 1