Stolen jewelry

Tink55

23 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Believe the people who lock their luggage.

I would believe Carnival over random strangers.  Definitely will be locked from now on, regardless of what the cruise line says.  

40 minutes ago, Tink55 said:

I would believe Carnival over random strangers.  Definitely will be locked from now on, regardless of what the cruise line says.  

The real lesson is NOT to have any true valuables in checked luggage, but I am sure you know that now.  Hard lesson to learn, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

The porters taking the bags from the car can quickly open them without being notice search for anything of value.

you really believe a porter has time to open and search your bags??  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I hate to say this but baggage handlers are untrustworthily. The porters taking the bags from the car can quickly open them without being notice search for anything of value. Secondly, those doing the x-ray can notice something of potential value and open it themselves or pass that information on to a crew member who can quickly reach in and take it. Most places have cameras watching them but remember crooks have the time and patience to wait for the best time. 

I have noticed my luggage have been opened several times since I do put a few things in there that may flag security such as a small mag light that can look like a gun barrel on an x-ray buy I expect this. If someone want to rifle through my skivves  just hope they are wearing gloves. 

The scans are pretty detailed.  Mrs Ldubs had a small crystal figure in her carry on.   The person at the airport X-ray said "nice crystal angel".   I would guess jewelry would be identifiable.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, crazyank said:

you really believe a porter has time to open and search your bags??  

It is not normal but yes thieves are smart and quick. They can unzip it a few inches and reach in to quickly find something that may be of value. thankfully, 99.9% of them are trustworthy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, klfrodo said:

My thoughts will be controversial, but, that's on me.

My first thought is that the post starts out bolding implying that somebody stole something. Thats a very strong and personalized opinion. Not a proven fact.

Maybe something like, I had some jewelry come up lost, misplaced, or stolen, what are my options would have set better with me.

I filed a claim a few years back with Carnival and worded as such. After they denied finding said object, I was disappointed but placed the blame on myself for not keeping better track of my belongings. A couple of months later, I found my lost object in my shaving kit. I did all this without blindly accusing someone of being a thief with no proof.

Maybe these items were stolen. Who knows, but that's why you have insurance. Whether it be travel insurance, homeowners' insurance, or if very valuable, a separate insurance policy.

Insurance may give you a check for your mother's heirloom jewelry, but it can never replace the sentimental value of the piece. 

• Like 3

On 7/29/2023 at 9:55 PM, Tink55 said:

Yes, my luggage was opened and looked at, I noticed that things had been rearranged a bit when I immediately unpacked when I got to my room.   I have no reason to lie about this and the last thing I wanted to believe was that my items were stolen!

TSA locks are opened you will find a standard paper notice.  

• Like 2

I've had items stolen out of luggage by airline baggage handlers.  It sucks.  My sympathies.

File a police report, contact the port authority to see if they have any reporting procedures, and contact your insurance company.

British Airways surprisingly reimbursed me for a portion of my loss after I reported the incident to them.  Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything from them - I was just making the report so I could claim on my homeowner's insurance.  So sometimes a company will surprise you.  Although I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 2

Don't feel bad. We all make mistakes. We can't be 100 percent vigilant 100 percent of the time.  I had a Rolex stolen out of my house. Can only assume it was by someone who did work in my house as we had various renovators in our house for 18+ months.  I had removed it and taken it with me when we moved out of the house for major home repairs, but when we moved back in, I unpacked it (even though the repairs were still ongoing to other parts of the house but not my bedroom) thinking no one would be ballsy enough to steal it literally right under my nose when I was home with cameras placed throughout the house. Unfortunately, I am not sure exactly when it went missing so I can't say for sure who even did it. My best guess is some worker came into my bedroom at some point when I was outside with my kids or taking a shower or something similar. (I have cameras in the hallway but not my bedroom.) My husband also had an approximately $300 watch missing, but it was nowhere near as expensive as my Rolex.  Only saving grace is that no one took my Birkin bags which are worth even more...which may go to the fact it was probably a man who stole it and had no clue that they were more valuable than the watch.  Or, perhaps, a watch is something easy to stick in a pocket and he couldn't just walk out the door with a big purse without me noticing.  The deductible on our home owner's insurance is as much as the watch so no point in claiming on it.  Point being: I have been there. People make mistakes sometimes and it is a shame that we can't depend on people's honesty.

• Like 3

On 7/30/2023 at 2:32 PM, rolloman said:

If any of the pieces are unique in description, you could always call the pawn shops in the local area to see if they may have it?

That is a very good suggestion. 

I actually once did this because my boss thought he had had his clubs stolen. I called every pawn shop in the area.  He was convinced they were stolen out of the back seat of his car after he had accidentally left it unlocked. However, after we still didn't locate them, I had my paralegal call his golf club and they were found in the men's locker room...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iamthesea said:

Did you look under your bed?  Twice now, missing jewelry has been found just under the bed skirt.   How about the trunk of your car?

She said she had looked everywhere obsessively like 20 times.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Don't feel bad. We all make mistakes. We can't be 100 percent vigilant 100 percent of the time.  I had a Rolex stolen out of my house. Can only assume it was by someone who did work in my house as we had various renovators in our house for 18+ months.  I had removed it and taken it with me when we moved out of the house for major home repairs, but when we moved back in, I unpacked it (even though the repairs were still ongoing to other parts of the house but not my bedroom) thinking no one would be ballsy enough to steal it literally right under my nose when I was home with cameras placed throughout the house. Unfortunately, I am not sure exactly when it went missing so I can't say for sure who even did it. My best guess is some worker came into my bedroom at some point when I was outside with my kids or taking a shower or something similar. (I have cameras in the hallway but not my bedroom.) My husband also had an approximately $300 watch missing, but it was nowhere near as expensive as my Rolex.  Only saving grace is that no one took my Birkin bags which are worth even more...which may go to the fact it was probably a man who stole it and had no clue that they were more valuable than the watch.  Or, perhaps, a watch is something easy to stick in a pocket and he couldn't just walk out the door with a big purse without me noticing.  The deductible on our home owner's insurance is as much as the watch so no point in claiming on it.  Point being: I have been there. People make mistakes sometimes and it is a shame that we can't depend on people's honesty.

I am so sorry this happened to you😔!  The only thing that helps me sleep at night is, I like to think they needed it more than I did💔

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

That is a very good suggestion. 

I actually once did this because my boss thought he had had his clubs stolen. I called every pawn shop in the area.  He was convinced they were stolen out of the back seat of his car after he had accidentally left it unlocked. However, after we still didn't locate them, I had my paralegal call his golf club and they were found in the men's locker room...

I left two rings on the top shelf when staying onion an Excel aft suite on MG.  Nothing but having a kind honest person reach out thru Carnival and forward them back to me.  I thanked them and sent something as a sign of my gratitude.....stuff happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I assume Rolex watches are serialized. It would have behooved you to file a police report even if you had no intention of filing an insurance claim. The police wouldn't have investigated most likely but if the watch was ever pawned it would have been flagged.

The same advice applies to OP. File a police report any time something is stolen (and you're more than reasonably sure it was actually stolen). Pawn shops run everything they buy by the police.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

I am so sorry to read your post.  I still travel with valuable jewelry, but it becomes less and less each time. Yes, we dress up a lot for formal nights and take many photos, so I like to wear my jewelry with my special outfits.

I put my jewelry inside a little case, and it fits in my purse. I keep my jewelry with me every moment until I arrive at the ship or hotel room with a safe.  However, this past cruise I almost lost my small jewelry case in a taxi when I was taking out money. Luckily my husband saw the case and grabbed it for me.  So, sometimes we are just not focused on security all the time, and we get distracted.

My question is, do you 100% remember packing the jewelry in the checked bag? 

Could you have misplaced the case somewhere in your home before leaving? 

Well, we ALWAYS lock our suitcases with the TSA locks no matter what or where--often in the hotel and on the cruise ship as well, if we purchase a lot of souvenirs and we want to keep them secure.

My past two cruises I have actually taken my formal dresses (rolled, in a heavy duty bag) in my carry-on bag because they are so pretty, and one quite costly, so I did not trust them in the suitcase. 

I would follow up/fill out reports with as many places as possible about your loss.  Perhaps the case was found, but lacking identification, no one knew to whom it belonged. Sadly, theft is not uncommon in the times in which we live.  There are other various reports of stolen luggage from different cruise lines here on Cruise Critic. Take care.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I assume Rolex watches are serialized. It would have behooved you to file a police report even if you had no intention of filing an insurance claim. The police wouldn't have investigated most likely but if the watch was ever pawned it would have been flagged.

The same advice applies to OP. File a police report any time something is stolen (and you're more than reasonably sure it was actually stolen). Pawn shops run everything they buy by the police

They are and Rolex watches being mechanical sometimes need maintenance. If sent back to Rolex, they might cooperate. Not just anyone can work on them and parts can be hard to come by.

• Like 1

I’m so sorry you lost an item that was so important to you. That would be really hard especially when you’re in a situation where you really want to be relaxing and putting aside all of your cares.

Thank you for the reminder that important things should stay with us until placed in the safe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I am so sorry to read your post.  I still travel with valuable jewelry, but it becomes less and less each time. Yes, we dress up a lot for formal nights and take many photos, so I like to wear my jewelry with my special outfits.

I put my jewelry inside a little case, and it fits in my purse. I keep my jewelry with me every moment until I arrive at the ship or hotel room with a safe.  However, this past cruise I almost lost my small jewelry case in a taxi when I was taking out money. Luckily my husband saw the case and grabbed it for me.  So, sometimes we are just not focused on security all the time, and we get distracted.

My question is, do you 100% remember packing the jewelry in the checked bag? 

Could you have misplaced the case somewhere in your home before leaving? 

Well, we ALWAYS lock our suitcases with the TSA locks no matter what or where--often in the hotel and on the cruise ship as well, if we purchase a lot of souvenirs and we want to keep them secure.

My past two cruises I have actually taken my formal dresses (rolled, in a heavy duty bag) in my carry-on bag because they are so pretty, and one quite costly, so I did not trust them in the suitcase. 

I would follow up/fill out reports with as many places as possible about your loss.  Perhaps the case was found, but lacking identification, no one knew to whom it belonged. Sadly, theft is not uncommon in the times in which we live.  There are other various reports of stolen luggage from different cruise lines here on Cruise Critic. Take care.

How many times does OP have to say they know it was stolen?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2