Disembarking in Galveston

Atlantic Canada

Is it correct that when you disembark in Galveston you are required to pay a tax on duty free liquor even though you are in transit back to Canada the day you get off the ship? Is this something that you can do prior to getting off the ship, or is it done as you go through customs? Will this in any way delay getting on the bus to the George Bust airport? We are on the first bus to the airport for a flight early afternoon.

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Atlantic Canada said:

Is it correct that when you disembark in Galveston you are required to pay a tax on duty free liquor even though you are in transit back to Canada the day you get off the ship? Is this something that you can do prior to getting off the ship, or is it done as you go through customs? Will this in any way delay getting on the bus to the George Bust airport? We are on the first bus to the airport for a flight early afternoon.

Thanks

I may be wrong, and certainly someone will chime in if I am, but I would THINK that if your end destination with the liquor is Canada, you don't owe the USA any tax, you will owe Canada tax if you are over your limit and you declare your amount.

I would not voluntarily give the USA tax on something that was not going to remain in the USA.

• Like 1

These links provide the official government policy, but don't address the issue of in-transit passengers. Still, the tax rate is so minimal that even if you have to pay, it shouldn't dissuade you from buying some duty free liquor.

https://www.tabc.texas.gov/services/texas-ports-of-entry/

https://www.tabc.texas.gov/static/sites/default/files/2021-12/importing-alcohol-cigarettes-poe-brochure.pdf

14 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I may be wrong, and certainly someone will chime in if I am, but I would THINK that if your end destination with the liquor is Canada, you don't owe the USA any tax, you will owe Canada tax if you are over your limit and you declare your amount.

I would not voluntarily give the USA tax on something that was not going to remain in the USA.

How are the authorities going to be certain that it is not going to remain in the US? 

There is a way to transship products but it requires customs seals and paperwork. Have at it. 🙂

Landing in Galveston we had an unopened bottle of free wine from the ship.  Yes, we did not have an opportunity to drink it.  When disembarking we were asked by Customs after immigration and they asked if we had any liquor.  Being honest Canadians, we replied yes.  They then asked to see it (in our checked luggage) and told us we would be required to pay $6 or $8 duty.  Since it was free, I decided to surrender it.  It would have been faster to pay their extortion as the paper work for them to seize it took about 10 minutes.  We would most likely never bring booze off a ship in Galveston.

On a side note, we have Texas friends who do it all the time and do not declare their bounty.  This is our experience in Galveston. 

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Canadians have to pay (years ago now but it was $5.00 at that time.  they just stop you as you are leaving the pick up luggage area.