Hotels in Honolulu

KatieMcGee

SWMBO did months of research and we ended up at the Prince Waikiki. It's not in the center of things, but it's quieter and every room is an ocean view with windows that open. Second night we turned off the AC and just left our window open. From the infinity pool you can see the Hilton's Friday(?) night fireworks.

We stayed at the Ilikai resort in May, 2023.  Look for my review of it in the Hawaii section.  We used Hawaii23 as transportation.  Liked both the hotel and the shuttle service very much and would repeat them.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, KatieMcGee said:

Any suggestions for a hotel in Honolulu before and after the NCL cruise that we are taking in March 2024?

As Bruce says-- take a look at the boards for extensive back and forth on this. Also its hard to make a specific recommendation without knowing what your budget is, what's important (like being right on the beach or not), or if you have hotel brand loyalty (and the points that go with that). 

For example, if you have Marriott Bonvoy points you have the ability to book some of the more iconic (and expensive) hotels on the beach for free like the Royal Hawaiian (my personal favorite) or the Westin Moana Surfrider. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 12:49 PM, KatieMcGee said:

Any suggestions for a hotel in Honolulu before and after the NCL cruise that we are taking in March 2024?

We're doing the same, 2 nights before, 4 nights after. My current thoughts are 2 nights in the heart of Waikiki in a 4 star before the cruise and the 4 nights elsewhere, perhaps in a 3 star. Although one could argue the other way around since jet lag the 1st couple of nights might not matter on the hotel as long as it isn't crap, and being in right in Waikiki after might be better base post cruise.

As for hotels I've seen the Prince Waikiki mentioned a lot, but it seems far from Waikiki on the map, so I'm not sure.

In addition to the Prince (which is less central but close to Ala Moana & the port) where we stayed 3 nights pre-cruise, we also stayed 3 nights post-cruise @ Outrigger Beachcomber in Waikiki- should be considered for its fantastic location, their cafe serves superb breakfast options and all around clean, comfortable, classy digs. A hop across the street to the beach, next door to International Market Place, and walking distance to many fine dining options. Roy Yamaguchi's Eating House was amazing! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Maverick! said:

...we also stayed 3 nights post-cruise @ Outrigger Beachcomber in Waikiki- should be considered for its fantastic location

The Beachcomber looks good, but be careful there are a bunch of Outrigger hotels, the Outrigger Beachcomber looked to be the lest expensive of the bunch. After spending too much time researching hotels I made a "safety booking" through Marriott's member website (its free) at the Sheraton Princess. Using the member website gives you a full refund cancellation policy of 5 or 6 days prior. The Outrigger hotels seem to have a similar member program as I suspect other do as well. With the 5 day cancellation policy I could potentially scope out & book another hotel for post-cruise if the pre-cruise hotel was unsatisfactory. I'm wondering if Priceline would be something to try when closer to our travel date, but I don't have any experience with Priceline so I don't know.

I've come to the conclusion that the minimum cost for a reasonable hotel in central Waikiki, is going to be about $350 a night (May 2024) after the resort fee & taxes. Also there doesn't seem to be a way around the resort fee, everyone charges one no matter what.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 12:05 PM, DCwom said:

We're doing the same, 2 nights before, 4 nights after. My current thoughts are 2 nights in the heart of Waikiki in a 4 star before the cruise and the 4 nights elsewhere, perhaps in a 3 star. Although one could argue the other way around since jet lag the 1st couple of nights might not matter on the hotel as long as it isn't crap, and being in right in Waikiki after might be better base post cruise. As for hotels I've seen the Prince Waikiki mentioned a lot, but it seems far from Waikiki on the map, so I'm not sure.

This won't work in Honolulu/Oahu. 90% of the hotels on the island are in Waikiki. The other two areas with hotels are Ko Olina/Kapolei and Turtle Bay and most of the hotels are 4* and above.

The Prince Waikiki is inside Waikiki, so it can't be "far from Waikiki". Waikiki is a relatively small area; it is less than 2 miles long and a half mile wide.

I love the Prince Waikiki, but all my stays there are business trips. If I am in Waikiki on vacation or if it was my first time, I'd want a lanai (balcony). The Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Marriott Waikiki, Hyatt Regency Waikiki, Twin Fin Waikiki, Queen Kapiolani and Park Shore Waikiki are the hotels I'd check with a moderate budget.

With a bigger budget, I'd stay at Halekulani, Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider, maybe the Rainbow or Ali'i Tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

On 8/12/2023 at 12:57 PM, DCwom said:

The Beachcomber looks good, but be careful there are a bunch of Outrigger hotels, the Outrigger Beachcomber looked to be the lest expensive of the bunch. After spending too much time researching hotels I made a "safety booking" through Marriott's member website (its free) at the Sheraton Princess. Using the member website gives you a full refund cancellation policy of 5 or 6 days prior. The Outrigger hotels seem to have a similar member program as I suspect other do as well. With the 5 day cancellation policy I could potentially scope out & book another hotel for post-cruise if the pre-cruise hotel was unsatisfactory. I'm wondering if Priceline would be something to try when closer to our travel date, but I don't have any experience with Priceline so I don't know.

Of all the hotels in Waikiki I'd never book, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is at the top of the list. The Princess K has been on the demolition list for a decade now. At last note, the tower was slated to be torn down in 2021 with new construction to start in 2022. Covid put a stop to all those plans. That was at least the third time tear down & rebuild had been postponed in 10-12 years. Because of that the hotels has not had any major renovations, maybe light refreshses, but not enough to make we want to stay there.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Of all the hotels in Waikiki I'd never book, the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is at the top of the list. The Princess K has been on the demolition list for a decade now. At last note, the tower was slated to be torn down in 2021 with new construction to start in 2022. Covid put a stop to all those plans. That was at least the third time tear down & rebuild had been postponed in 10-12 years. Because of that the hotels has not had any major renovations, maybe light refreshses, but not enough to make we want to stay there.

This!   We had it booked before and after our NCL cruise. 1 night was enough, cancelled and booked the moana surfrider for the return.   We’ve stayed at the Ilikai, Sheraton, Surfrider, Hyatt & Marriott. I would return to all of those but not the SPK. 

• Like 1

There is a gem of a place in Waikiki called the Breakers.  Old-Hawaii atmosphere. Family owned and run.  Check Trip Advisor reviews.  We have stayed there three times and will be there again next month. Lots of repeat guests.  It is not on the beach and not a "luxurious" high rise, just a '60s style two story brick hotel with a beautiful pool. But it's a very short walk to the beach and to beach restaurants like Dukes as well as major shopping venues and restaurants.  It's actually more or less in the shadow of Trump Tower.  SO welcoming, so friendly.  Even the ever-present and very friendly/petable cats at the open air reception desk will greet you.  Stay here and you can save to spend your money on food.  

Try the Park Shore Waikiki.  Across the street from the beach, views of Diamond Head, Kapiolani Park, and beach, a great location in Waikiki.  Also, Lulu's Waikiki is one of our favorite restaurants, attached to the Park Shore.  Cherie

16 hours ago, mcmarya said:

We have booked hotels with points (Marriott properties) and still had to pay the resort fee.

Marriott usually doesn't waive the resort or destination fee on an awards booking like Hyatt and Hilton do. That being said Marriott has some much more compelling award properties the the other two don't on Waikiki such as The Royal Hawaiian, Westin Moana Surfrider, and the Ritz-Carlton Residences. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Waikiki in September 2022 pre-cruise NCL. Arrived 2 days early and did some great stuff. Very adequate hotel and good price given Waikiki location. Excellent free breakfast. Easy walk to beach and everything else around Waikiki. But we ate lunch at Royal Hawaiian and after seeing hotel and location decided next time we are staying there. Booked for August 2024. Twice the price of Holiday Inn but wow it’s got an incredible vibe. Best Mai Tai on the planet! It was invented there. We ate lunch on patio and I had tremendous poke while watching surfers on Waikiki beach. Doesn’t get any better than that! 😎

Edited by philv
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, philv said:

But we ate lunch at Royal Hawaiian and after seeing hotel and location decided next time we are staying there. Booked for August 2024. Twice the price of Holiday Inn but wow it’s got an incredible vibe. Best Mai Tai on the planet! It was invented there

Best Mai Tai is a hotly debated topic.

And not to ruin a good story, but the Mai Tai was "invented" in Oakland California by Victor "Trader Vic" J. Bergeron in 1944 for his tiki themed restaurant.

You are right scottca075. I read the Wikipedia article. I seem to remember something at the hotel that said it was invented there but maybe they meant the inventor Bergeron brought it there in 1953. In any case it was the best Mai Tai I’ve ever had! 🍹

• Like 1

I don't  quite understand the menu. They are playing very fast and loose with facts.

The Matson Navigation Company commissioned the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in 1925 to go in concert with their Moana Hotel. The Royal Hawaiian opened in 1927, so it certainly new in 1953. The Mai Tai was already firmly established in Trader Vic's own restaurants.

Here is the song, written by Mary Robbins, for the hotel's opening.

• Like 1

As to the best Mai Tai, that is a question that generates more division than "tastes great", "less filing".

A lot of people would like it to be La Mariana Sailing Club or Arnold's Beach Bar, two classic Honolulu dive bars, but Mai Tai aficionados seem to grudgingly agree on the House without a Key at Halekulani, while grousing about the cost.

IMG_7264-768x1024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

A lot of people would like it to be La Mariana Sailing Club or Arnold's Beach Bar, two classic Honolulu dive bars, but Mai Tai aficionados seem to grudgingly agree on the House without a Key at Halekulani, while grousing about the cost.

HWAK is a good one. My only issue with the Royal Hawaiian one is that it can be inconsistent. If you go to the Mai Tai bar when they are slammed they sometimes can leave a little bit to be desired. When they are on, they are on though. 

If we expand beyond Honolulu the Mai Tai at The Kaanapali Beach Hotel is strong and very faithful to the original-- consistently excellent over the years. Current favorite is at the Westin, also on Kaanapali. The bartender at the pool bar named Junior has his own riff on it called the No Ka 'Oi Mai Tai. Its heaven (if you like orgeat). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

If we expand beyond Honolulu the Mai Tai at The Kaanapali Beach Hotel is strong and very faithful to the original-- consistently excellent over the years. Current favorite is at the Westin, also on Kaanapali. The bartender at the pool bar named Junior has his own riff on it called the No Ka 'Oi Mai Tai. Its heaven (if you like orgeat). 

Oh! This is my favourite topic!

Have you been to Kaanapali Beach hotel lately? The beach bar and food hut are gone. Razed. Further out by the walkway is a fancy new building with a fancy restaurant. Underneath that is a take out grill and bar combination. This is what they sold in April 2023 as a maitai. In May I went again and it was a different juice type rum drink out of a can. Not good (the April one wasn’t bad and can be purchased at ABC stores!) The poke bowl was quite good. But no yummy fish sandwich. Dale, the bartender, had been there since 1970 when I last saw him a couple of years ago. He’s making maitais for folks in heaven now.

Next time I’ll check out the westin Kaanapali pool bar. Thanks!

IMG_2976.jpeg

Edited by kluv2cruz