Casual Dining - Fixed Price Menus and A La Carte Charges

dides

3 hours ago, tserface said:

What if you both have Plus Package?  Do you have to burn two credits if you only eat one meal to share?  It’s already kind of unfair that you only get two visits on a 15 day cruise and same on a 7 day cruise, but pay the same daily rate on either.

Just trying to understand the changes and maximize our options.

What’s the difference, really, between sharing a $14.99 meal or using one of two of your $14.99 credits?

I can totally understand not sharing an unlimited part of the benefit like drinks.

To make it worse, since we only eat enough for one of the meals, we will, essentially only get two visits if they make us use two credits each visit.

It seems like if they give you 2 meals you should be able to use them as you choose.

For example, I get 5 free drinks per day on RCI cruises and I can use them however I want.  It’s a finite number that they give us as the perk.  Similarly, if I’m Elite an Princess they give us a minibar setup and we can let anyone use it.

This was exactly my question too.  I think if you both have the plus package you should be able to share a pizza/meal.  Even before the changes we would not want 2 pizzas. I guess I will know soon enough.  We board in 2 days and I will find out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

This was exactly my question too.  I think if you both have the plus package you should be able to share a pizza/meal.  Even before the changes we would not want 2 pizzas. I guess I will know soon enough.  We board in 2 days and I will find out.

Sweet. Hopefully you will be able to let us all know once you are on the ship.

18 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

Yeah, please report back with your findings.  Frankly, it makes perfect sense that you could use your two meals for whatever you want, but, as usual, Princesses rules are kind of ambiguous.

Have a blast on  your cruise!!!

19 minutes ago, Oxo said:

What about one person going into the place and order a takeout for one. Then taking it to the open area where you have tables and then share it with the other person?

Or are they no allowing takeout? 

On our last cruise they would deliver pizzas anywhere on the ship using Medallion.  Of course, then the pizza was free so there was no accounting.  Princess has opened a can of corner cases to figure out.

17 hours ago, wallyj said:

If you are paying and ordering ala carte, you can share anything you order.

Pizza is $8.50 and some have specialty pizzas that are $12, with fancier toppings.

You can order a $14.99 set menu and share too, as long as you are not using a dining credit from a Plus or Premier pkg.

Sharing is restricted if you are using a casual dining credit from Plus or Premier, same principle as you are not suppose to share ‘drinks’ from your package.

This is really only a restriction if you have the Plus package - not the Premier package. If DW and I have the Premier package and want to share a pizza, I don't think there would be any problem. They are welcome to charge us for two of the set menus even if we eat only one pizza between us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

This is really only a restriction if you have the Plus package - not the Premier package. If DW and I have the Premier package and want to share a pizza, I don't think there would be any problem. They are welcome to charge us for two of the set menus even if we eat only one pizza between us.

Apparently you don't care if you get charged for two and only eat one/share one.

That is not the question. In reality, regardless of Plus package or what. 

If each guest has a package, why can't that person order their item. Then share it with whomever? What is it that they cannot share? It is not an unlimited like a drink package.

You only get 2/Plus Pkg.  

• Like 1

Just now, Oxo said:

Apparently you don't care if you get charged for two and only eat one/share one.

That is not the question. In reality, regardless of Plus package or what. 

If each guest has a package, why can't that person order their item. Then share it with whomever? What is it that they cannot share? It is not an unlimited like a drink package.

You only get 2/Plus Pkg.  

If you have Premier, then it is unlimited. That's why I don't care how many they charge me for. But that's also why they can't really let me share it with others.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you have Premier, then it is unlimited. That's why I don't care how many they charge me for. But that's also why they can't really let me share it with others.

K, understand if you have unlimited!

However, if I only have 2, why the restrictions?

I don't expect you to answer that.

Thank you, Happy Cruising! 

On 9/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, Thrak said:

Sweet. Hopefully you will be able to let us all know once you are on the ship.

On 9/14/2023 at 11:30 AM, tserface said:

On our last cruise they would deliver pizzas anywhere on the ship using Medallion.  Of course, then the pizza was free so there was no accounting.  Princess has opened a can of corner cases to figure out.

Here is an update.  Sadly it is not good news. We are currently on board the Majestic Princess on a 10 night Alaskan cruise and we have the Princess Plus package.  We went to Alfredo's yesterday and were told that with the Plus package we could not share a "single" 3 course meal that is included in the package.  As long as both of us are in the restaurant we would be charged one meal each against the package.  So two people in the restaurant, order one casual meal to share, counts as using 2 or our 4 causual dining credits.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

Here is an update.  Sadly it is not good news. We are currently on board the Majestic Princess on a 10 night Alaskan cruise and we have the Princess Plus package.  We went to Alfredo's yesterday and were told that with the Plus package we could not share a "single" 3 course meal that is included in the package.  As long as both of us are in the restaurant we would be charged one meal each against the package.  So two people in the restaurant, order one casual meal to share, counts as using 2 or our 4 causual dining credits.

I understand the not sharing part above, but if 2nd person orders a pizza a la carte and 1st person orders the full meal, Princess has no business charging guest 2 a cover charge versus $8.50.  I don't see how they could do that and would speak to a mgr if necessary.

Take away the Plus and they cannot charge $15x2.  The bill is $15 + $8.50.  Guests need to be treated equally.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I understand the not sharing part above, but if 2nd person orders a pizza a la carte and 1st person orders the full meal, Princess has no business charging guest 2 a cover charge versus $8.50.  I don't see how they could do that and would speak to a mgr if necessary.

Take away the Plus and they cannot charge $15x2.  The bill is $15 + $8.50.  Guests need to be treated equally.

Apparently Princess can do whatever they want.  They’re obviously not doing this for the benefit of the customers.  Doesn’t surprise me that they’d even steal one of the included meals if you don’t use it.  I was just hoping they might be fair for a change… alas!

On 8/3/2023 at 2:27 AM, leck57 said:

Agree with you. I stop by Vines quite a few times on every cruise we have done but I was surprised to read you could get food there. I mustn't be very observant but I've only ever seen people drinking or ordering wine there and if eating, it has been a snack brought over from the International Cafe. 

For me, that's way I'll keep it.

Since 2006 4 of us have gone nightly to the vines and get glasses of wine.  At 5 pm you were always able to get tapas and/or sushi.  We loved it as it was a small plate so when we went for dinner we were hungry.

On our cruise earlier this month we ended up going to the elite lounge.  They have a small buffet of food so we could get something with our drinks.

12 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

Thanks for the update.  Not what I was hoping to hear.  So, I guess we’ll have to get two even if don’t use one… otherwise, they’ll probably double sell it.

8 minutes ago, tserface said:

Apparently Princess can do whatever they want.  They’re obviously not doing this for the benefit of the customers.  Doesn’t surprise me that they’d even steal one of the included meals if you don’t use it.  I was just hoping they might be fair for a change… alas!

They cannot make a guest pay for something not ordered.  They offer  both a la carte and prix fixe options.  There has been nothing published I am aware of that Princess can force everyone at a table to order prix fixe option if one guest wants it.  This is separate from the sharing issue.

They are going to have problems if they don't charge guests fairly and consistently.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

That’s absurd!  So, 1 person cannot order a la carte?

I would only send 1 of us to order the meal and ask for it to go.

Will they allow the $15 meal to go?  

I’d then share it somewhere else.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

To be honest I did not ask them the scenario of one person ordering a casual meal and the other person ordering a piiza a la carte.  For us, we only wanted a single pizza to share.  If we wanted the two pizzas then just ordering 2 casual meals would be fine.  The pizza is the star and the appetizer and dessert are not important.  We often skip the dessert at meals.  My issues was only wanting to share one pizza.  I would be quite happy if the simply said 4 a la carte pizza for the plus package. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s absurd!  So, 1 person cannot order a la carte?

I would only send 1 of us to order the meal and ask for it to go.

Will they allow the $15 meal to go?  

I’d then share it somewhere else.

See my other reply about one person ordering a la carte.

I am not sure if they allow the casual meal to go but if they do that may work. She only mention 2 people sitting in the restaurant,  If we go back this week I will ask them.

5 minutes ago, Insomniacs said:

To be honest I did not ask them the scenario of one person ordering a casual meal and the other person ordering a pizza a la carte.  For us, we only wanted a single pizza to share.  If we wanted the two pizzas then just ordering 2 casual meals would be fine.  The pizza is the star and the appetizer and dessert are not important.  We often skip the dessert at meals.  My issues was only wanting to share one pizza.  I would be quite happy if the simply said 4 a la carte pizza for the plus package. 

So, you could have shared if willing to pay $8.50 for the one pizza and not use a credit.  Or, order two pizzas for $17 and share the flavors.  OTOH, use a CD $15 credit and tell them hold the App and hold the Dessert.  And then you cannot share unless the partner is ordering as well. 

Pretty absurd it seems as they are saving food items (pennies I suppose).  I guess they just don't want to see a couple end up with 4 free "meals".  So, I see some logic in their thinking.  It would be simpler perhaps if they just gave each person on Plus a $30 credit for Casual Dining.  But that would be advantage guest and not Princess. 

I think you are correct that 4 a la carte pizzas (2 per person) would be reasonable way to go.  Or, 2 prix fix meals or 3 mains a la carte in Plus package.  Even so, would still have the sharing issue.

I am just getting this more muddled, aren't I?  It's just weird and I suppose the bigger issue is folks who get stiffed with nothing extra on a long voyage.  I think I like my Standard Fare better.  😉

Seems like no way out for the light lunch diner other than to leave money on the table - or at least appear to on paper.  If you can take away the extra slices to another location, I suppose you salvage some value for later (but no way to reheat the slices at another time).

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

So, you could have shared if willing to pay $8.50 for the one pizza and not use a credit.  Or, order two pizzas for $17 and share the flavors.  OTOH, use a CD $15 credit and tell them hold the App and hold the Dessert.  And then you cannot share unless the partner is ordering as well. 

Pretty absurd it seems as they are saving food items (pennies I suppose).  I guess they just don't want to see a couple end up with 4 free "meals".  So, I see some logic in their thinking.  It would be simpler perhaps if they just gave each person on Plus a $30 credit for Casual Dining.  But that would be advantage guest and not Princess. 

I think you are correct that 4 a la carte pizzas (2 per person) would be reasonable way to go.  Or, 2 prix fix meals or 3 mains a la carte in Plus package.  Even so, would still have the sharing issue.

I am just getting this more muddled, aren't I?  It's just weird and I suppose the bigger issue is folks who get stiffed with nothing extra on a long voyage.  I think I like my Standard Fare better.  😉

Seems like no way out for the light lunch diner other than to leave money on the table - or at least appear to on paper.  If you can take away the extra slices to another location, I suppose you salvage some value for later (but no way to reheat the slices at another time).

I still don’t see the difference between sharing 4 meals from the Plus Package or eating 4 meals.  I think if you get 4 meals included you should be able to use them however you want.  It just seems petty to make people use the credits when they aren’t eating the meal.

Yeah, I know, it’s only $14.99, but it used to be included.  You’d think they could be a little flexible and not add insult to injury.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Insomniacs said:

See my other reply about one person ordering a la carte.

I am not sure if they allow the casual meal to go but if they do that may work. She only mention 2 people sitting in the restaurant,  If we go back this week I will ask them.

I remember hearing in the past that you couldn't order pizzas to go or even get leftover pizza boxed. The only way to get it was eating at a table or room service. I never tried it myself though.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:05 PM, Tedferg said:

So two people on Plus and only one orders a la carte pizza, the other person has a beer and does not eat pizza - are they still charged for two credits? 

It’s sounding more like, if you have Plus you don’t get two meals you just get to go to the restaurant twice.  It’s totally misrepresented in their description.

It says,

NEW 2 casual dining meals per guest

kind of ambiguous.  

On 9/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, Tedferg said:

So two people on Plus and only one orders a la carte pizza, the other person has a beer and does not eat pizza - are they still charged for two credits? 

I don't see how that could be justified.  We have yet to hear of that scenario from any live ship report.  How can they charge for something not ordered?  Also, the T&C do not stipulate that both guests in cabin are forced to order the Prix Fixe option if one does.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't see how that could be justified.  We have yet to hear of that scenario from any live ship report.  How can they charge for something not ordered?  Also, the T&C do not stipulate that both guests in cabin are forced to order the Prix Fixe option if one does.

Agree, I was extrapolating from earlier posts. I have suspected that both of you sitting in Alfredos would routinely be flagged as a visit each, without clarification of who ordered what and that you might need to point out to the waiter that you are not ordering food. If only one is flagged, then do the staff watch each table to make sure that the second guest does not sneak a slice of pizza?

• Like 2