Is lunch served every day in the dining room?

FengShui@Sea

We will be embarking on the Quest in a few months and (since there is still one suite available) I am wondering if it is better to be on deck 6 with close access to the dining room.  Do they serve lunch in the dining room every day, or just on sea days?  We are currently on deck 8 for a 20 night sailing, but taking stairs would be preferable if most meals are served in the dining room.  Since my husband can only manage one flight of stairs our current location will have us taking the elevator down from deck 8 for every meal.

The two Club Continent suites on deck 6 are Wheelchair-accessible, which means their layout and furnishings are more functional and less luxurious that the regular cabins and suites.  But you are right about the location: you would be right at the stairs that lead directly to the Discoveries bar and dining room entrance.  And deck 5 also has many other public areas: Mosaic cafe, shops and photo area, den, and cabaret lounge.  So you would be able to use the stairs a lot.  The only things you would be moving out of 1-story range are Windows cafe, Sunset bar, Patio, pool deck, and spa on deck 9 [the specialty restaurants, drawing room and living room on deck 10 are out of 1-story range in either case].  So you could use the stairs a lot more from the deck 6 suites.

Lunch is only served in the MDR on sea days. Breakfast is daily, as is dinner. If I'm not mistaken, full main dining room service is available in your room, served by your esteemed butler, if you are in a suite. Regardless, walking from point A to point B anywhere on the ship is not a big task, the ships are wonderfully small. Have a great vacation!

Thank you both for the information.  We would be at the very aft of the ship so there are many things to consider.

Dr, H - Other than in-suite dining I am assuming the only options for lunch on port days will be the buffet or pool grill?  

Edited by FengShui@Sea

12 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Thank you both for the information.  We would be at the very aft of the ship so there are many things to consider.

Wait – you mean you are in a CW?  That changes it slightly.  The CWs on deck 8 can have noise from the deck above, as well as the proximity issues I mentioned above.  Those on deck 6 can have engine noise when the ship is at full throttle and also when maneuvering into port – the latter is mainly in the morning, but the other could be all day on sea days.  We were in a CW on 6 and on 7 and were not too much bothered by the noise on 6, so I would still recommend that one to you.

Thank you Host Jazzbeau.  I read about some maintenance issues with our current suite from a few months ago that have me concerned as well.  Since we have already made final payment and our documents have been issued I am not even sure if we will be allowed to change locations, but will reach out to our travel agent today.  Thanks again.

51 minutes ago, FengShui@Sea said:

Thank you Host Jazzbeau.  I read about some maintenance issues with our current suite from a few months ago that have me concerned as well.  Since we have already made final payment and our documents have been issued I am not even sure if we will be allowed to change locations, but will reach out to our travel agent today.  Thanks again.

If the issues were from a few months ago, I would expect them to be fixed by now, unless it was something like a permanent stain on the carpet. Things like a broken hinge on a cupboard door or a blocked drain should certainly be fixed quickly.

Also for other lunch options, the Mosaic Café has very tasty little sandwiches during the middle of the day. The Living Room has the same little sandwiches too.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

If the issues were from a few months ago, I would expect them to be fixed by now, unless it was something like a permanent stain on the carpet. Things like a broken hinge on a cupboard door or a blocked drain should certainly be fixed quickly.

Also for other lunch options, the Mosaic Café has very tasty little sandwiches during the middle of the day. The Living Room has the same little sandwiches too.

They mentioned the curtains were very difficult to close as they would stick along the railing, the sliding door to the balcony off of the bedroom wouldn’t close, the headboard squeezed, and the sofa was very worn.  Personally I would have asked for maintenance to address all but the sofa issue.  I viewed a video of 8091 and the sofa does look like it has seen better days.  I am sure that will be addressed in the 2024 dry dock.

Thank you for the alternate lunch suggestions!

10 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

We will be embarking on the Quest in a few months and (since there is still one suite available) I am wondering if it is better to be on deck 6 with close access to the dining room.  Do they serve lunch in the dining room every day, or just on sea days?  We are currently on deck 8 for a 20-night sailing, but taking the stairs would be preferable if most meals are served in the dining room.  Since my husband can only manage one flight of stairs our current location will have us taking the elevator down from deck 8 for every meal.

Unfortunately, as nowadays with all other cruise lines the main dining room is closed for lunch once in port.  However, we found apart from the usual breakfast frenzy before excursions the buffet was perfectly acceptable. Weather permitting the open deck grill is also very nice and super service. Otherwise, there is a somehow limited room service menu which your suite butler can serve in your suite or balcony. 

If you are a suite residence you can also have every day a quiet breakfast at Aqualina with a high level of service. (Deck 10 Aft.)

Azamara ships are very small compared to the regular mass-market cruise lines so everything is at a relatively short distance. Taking an elevator is very easy as the Azamara ships do not have a high-density passenger ratio.

• Like 1

Oslo Dutch — Thank you for that information.  If Aqualina is available for breakfast that will definitely be our ‘go to’ choice.  We try to be low maintenance for the butler as they seem stretched pretty thin these days, so in-suite dining is unlikely.  

Regent offers suite guests lunch in one of their specialty restaurants on port days, which was my favourite feature of sailing with them.  But their prices have been in the stratosphere recently, so now we get to try Azamara!

Mosaic was mentioned for light bites. I wouldn't call it "lunch", but it can suffice in a bind. I don't think you realize just how small the ships are! We got an el-cheapo Alaska cruise a year and a half ago on Celebrity Millennium, and for what I paid, I was content to share a bathroom in the boiler room with a guy who shoveled the coal. Millennium is just under 1000 feet long, and sleeps 2200 plus a crew of 1000 - it's big, but they build 'em a LOT bigger. We were in the rear. My wife has been developing walking issues, surgery is currently pending on her back, and let me tell you, getting from our room to the nearest elevator was NO joy, for either of us and especially her. It was a LONG walk, back and forth, and everywhere in between.  Bad back and getting worse, we were on Azamara Quest for 5 weeks this past winter, 590 feet long, with two sets of elevators, each about 1/3 the way down the corridors. Sandie had no walking issues, and perish the thought there were, there are wheel chairs available if needed. She needed them only to get on and off the ship and out of the port. I don't think you are going to that difficult a time getting around. Acqualina is lovely for breakfast, it is at the back of the ship, one deck above you. (I think the variety in the buffet, which is not the size of a small football stadium, is better, but that's my opinion.) Your outdoor dining locations at lunch are pool "side" and the Sunset Bar area behind the buffet, and indoors in Windows Cafe, which is the buffet. Honestly, I think you are better off worrying about how you will be getting to the ship, and not where you can eat. And don't worry about worrying the poor Butler, I don't think they serve very many dinners, and it is a lovely option on your veranda, and do a wonderful, very personal job.  Have a great trip, and make the rest of us jealous of your suite accommodations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

We will be embarking on the Quest in a few months and (since there is still one suite available) I am wondering if it is better to be on deck 6 with close access to the dining room.  Do they serve lunch in the dining room every day, or just on sea days?  We are currently on deck 8 for a 20 night sailing, but taking stairs would be preferable if most meals are served in the dining room.  Since my husband can only manage one flight of stairs our current location will have us taking the elevator down from deck 8 for every meal.

Go for deck 6. The balconies get deeper as you go down. 6 is deeper than 7 is deeper than 8. The difference between 6 and 8 is noticeable. Aqualina is a great option for breakfast. We never had it anywhere else on Quest and it's a very nice suite perk. Partly because of the food (they consistently did a "Masterchef" poached egg) and partly because of the service, ambience and nice chinaware. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Aqualina is a great option for breakfast. We never had it anywhere else on Quest and it's a very nice suite perk.

Agree.  The Eggs Benedict in Aqualina are completely different from those in the main dining room.  The MDR's are very good and traditional; Aqualina's are amped up to 11.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Agree.  The Eggs Benedict in Aqualina are completely different from those in the main dining room.  The MDR's are very good and traditional; Aqualina's are amped up to 11.

Are reservations required for Suite guests to breakfast in Aqualina? And is it crowded?

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Go for deck 6. The balconies get deeper as you go down. 6 is deeper than 7 is deeper than 8. The difference between 6 and 8 is noticeable. Aqualina is a great option for breakfast. We never had it anywhere else on Quest and it's a very nice suite perk. Partly because of the food (they consistently did a "Masterchef" poached egg) and partly because of the service, ambience and nice chinaware. 

Phil 

But it’s really noisy during docking and also at times during the day, you can hear the band and singers rehearsing. 

34 minutes ago, pickypicky said:

Are reservations required for Suite guests to breakfast in Aqualina? And is it crowded?

No reservations needed, and not crowded.  The only problem was that it closed too early if I decided to sleep in...

We are very grateful for all of your comments and recommendations.  

We live in a beach resort community right on the Pacific Ocean and enjoy an oceanfront, very large balcony 365.  Therefore a bigger balcony (especially when sailing in cold Antarctica) is not a big priority for us.  However, engine noise and vibration is a major deterrent.  It is important for everyone to do their research and assess what pros and cons are acceptable to them. 

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Go for deck 6. The balconies get deeper as you go down. 6 is deeper than 7 is deeper than 8.

WOW. We have been sailing with Azamara since 2010. We've been in suites on several occasions, verandas most of the time, and I was totally, and I mean TOTALLY, unaware of this! And this OCD crazy person actually travels/flies with a tape measure! I never knew. Okay, I prefer the gestalt of Deck 7, rooms surrounded on all sides by quiet passengers. I do not like Deck 8, there is always something going on over my head, and I've just paid a couple of thousand more than I had to for a more comfy, larger, noisier room. Six is okay, and they can never put you next to the laundry. I will be pulling out the tape measure in November. I don't know if I should thank you Phil, or put an evil curse on you for sharing that sacred information.   David

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

We are very grateful for all of your comments and recommendations.  

We live in a beach resort community right on the Pacific Ocean and enjoy an oceanfront, very large balcony 365.  Therefore a bigger balcony (especially when sailing in cold Antarctica) is not a big priority for us.  However, engine noise and vibration is a major deterrent.  It is important for everyone to do their research and assess what pros and cons are acceptable to them. 

Since you're sailing in a CW you get breakfast in Aqualina and you can dine in Aqualina or Prime C any night you wish – both of which are on deck 10.  That means neither suite you are considering is within the 1-story range, but these are only 2 stories from deck 8 and Windows cafe is 1 story.  So then I would switch my recommendation and suggest you stay on deck 8!

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since you're sailing in a CW you get breakfast in Aqualina and you can dine in Aqualina or Prime C any night you wish – both of which are on deck 10.  That means neither suite you are considering is within the 1-story range, but these are only 2 stories from deck 8 and Windows cafe is 1 story.  So then I would switch my recommendation and suggest you stay on deck 8!

The longest walk (if there are any long walks on an Azamara ship!) is from the cabin to the elevator bank and that's regardless of deck so I think it's a none issue.  

I'd also mention that being in one of the big suites you can order off the Specialty Restaurant menus for room service. 

Phil 

18 hours ago, Dr H said:

Mosaic was mentioned for light bites. I wouldn't call it "lunch", but it can suffice in a bind.

We’re not restricted to just one of the nice little sandwiches. I’ve seen people have three, and maybe some of the cheese that’s often there. That makes a pretty substantial lunch, and for those with a sweet tooth, there are cookies and usually cakes, or maybe little tarts. I hear the lemon tarts are delicious. It’s very difficult to go hungry on a cruise ship!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The longest walk (if there are any long walks on an Azamara ship!) is from the cabin to the elevator bank and that's regardless of deck so I think it's a none issue.  

FengShui was asking about the stairs.  She wants to use the stairs whenever possible and her husband can do one flight but not two.  That's why it matters what is on the decks immediately above and below the cabin they choose.  Trying to figure out whether they will be visiting deck 5 or deck 9 more ... in the end I think it's a wash.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'd also mention that being in one of the big suites you can order off the Specialty Restaurant menus for room service. 

Phil 

Hi Phil

When you say big suites can use the specialities for room service does this not include continentals?

Thanks.