Let's play "what if"

19 minutes ago, RyderJ201 said:

Put aside giving something to other people. If you're starting to feel like crap or think you might....well. I say use the insurance and go when you can get 100% enjoyment out of it. Nothing worse than being sick in any bed but your own.

Spring 2022 on our b2b on EN I caught a wicked sinus infection on the second leg that I had for two weeks.  I still had a fever when we got home and went to Urgent Care where I was tested for Flu and Covid.  Both negative.  I didn't take anything and let my immune system handle it which actually was what the Dr wanted me to do.  I was sicker than any of my family members who had Covid(siblings, sons, dil's).  They were more exhausted but I had a higher temp and was sick longer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sadiwest said:

We leave tomorrow, and DH comes down with "something ".  He's gone upstairs to take a Covid test.   Let's pretend for a minute that it's positive (keeping in mind I have no reason to think it is, but my mind is all over). What happens if a primary cruiser (out of 4 in the Cabin) is a no show?...this is as opposed to the two 13 yr olds listed as #3, #4 in the cabin. Does it matter who the no show is? Thoughts on if Covid is a covered reason to cancel using RCCL insurance? If it were you (as me) and he's positive, do you take the kids? Do you all go? Do you cancel?

COVID is no longer a show stopper for a cruise. 

Most insurance companies had COVID coverage when it was a health emergency. Now that the WHO and the United States have determined it is no longer a health emergencies, most insurance do not have to cover it unless you have a doctor's note that says you are unable to cruise (which may be hard to get today). 

If it is a covered reason for an insurance claim, you still need a "real" test result from a laboratory and not a snap shot of a home test. 

If your husband drops out, make sure you know exactly what paperwork, if any, you need for your ports of call to travel with a minor (DD) without both parents. You kinda already know, because you should have all of the paperwork for DD friend,,, but you may need some for DD if you husband drops out. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

COVID is no longer a show stopper for a cruise. 

Most insurance companies had COVID coverage when it was a health emergency. Now that the WHO and the United States have determined it is no longer a health emergencies, most insurance do not have to cover it unless you have a doctor's note that says you are unable to cruise (which may be hard to get today). 

If it is a covered reason for an insurance claim, you still need a "real" test result from a laboratory and not a snap shot of a home test. 

If your husband drops out, make sure you know exactly what paperwork, if any, you need for your ports of call to travel with a minor (DD) without both parents. You kinda already know, because you should have all of the paperwork for DD friend,,, but you may need some for DD if you husband drops out. 

Travel insurance is not the same as private health insurance. Travel insurance never had to cover it, and most policies did not until vaccines and treatments became available. Nowadays it is covered as any other illness. No doubt the claims process will require proof, but getting a doctor’s statement for COVID should not be any more difficult than getting a statement for any other illness if the patient is unable to travel. Perhaps a consultation is in order before canceling. 

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Babr said:

Travel insurance is not the same as private health insurance. Travel insurance never had to cover it, and most policies did not until vaccines and treatments became available. Nowadays it is covered as any other illness. No doubt the claims process will require proof, but getting a doctor’s statement for COVID should not be any more difficult than getting a statement for any other illness if the patient is unable to travel. Perhaps a consultation is in order before canceling. 

Hah???

My statement that most travel insurance policies included COVID as a covered loss for a claim while there was a pandemic. Now that there is no longer a pandemic, COVID falls out of the default covered reasons for a claim.  

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Hah???

My statement that most travel insurance policies included COVID as a covered loss for a claim while there was a pandemic. Now that there is no longer a pandemic, COVID falls out of the default covered reasons for a claim.  

I don’t think so. It is treated as any other acute illness that requires treatment and bed rest or restricted activity. If a doctor recommends that the patient not travel as the result of any diagnosis including COVID, it is covered. Period. 

If your husband tests positive for Covid, then you would have been exposed if you were around him.  Aside from not wanting to make others on the ship sick, there is no way I would take someone else’s child on a cruise and expose them to Covid.  What if that child came down with Covid and got very sick while out in the middle of the ocean or in a foreign Country?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pstone1 said:

If your husband tests positive for Covid, then you would have been exposed if you were around him.  Aside from not wanting to make others on the ship sick, there is no way I would take someone else’s child on a cruise and expose them to Covid.  What if that child came down with Covid and got very sick while out in the middle of the ocean or in a foreign Country?

Children get very, very mild cases if they have any symptoms at all.  

• Like 2

Folks, for whatever reason, she started a new thread "followup to let's play what if".  I don't get why it needed an entirely new thread.  BTW, he tested positive so now the discussion is can he board at a later port.    And, by later she says another US port, which we all know is a no no due to PVSA.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:59 PM, reallyitsmema said:

So, is DH positive?

If you were the OP would you answer this?  They're leaving tomorrow and there's probably enough information on these boards to figure out trip and/or person information.  I'm in the school of, what you don't know won't hurt you.  I hope she keeps it to herself!

5 minutes ago, NeepierRoad said:

If you were the OP would you answer this?  They're leaving tomorrow and there's probably enough information on these boards to figure out trip and/or person information.  I'm in the school of, what you don't know won't hurt you.  I hope she keeps it to herself!

You are a week behind.  She did answer it in another post.