Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Closing time should equate to last order taken at time. The kitchen closes when everyone has been served.

unless there is a line a closing time. Then last order time is when the last person has been seated and had a chance to order.

no problem - instead of closing time at 11, closing time is 10:30

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 8:55 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Very astute observation on your part!  That’s exactly what they have done.  
I do have a question if one has the premier package, are they able to order a whole pizza off the app without the current charge.  The pizzas were $3 at one time, so worth it.  Then, on a couple of cruises, they were complimentary and now $8.  Still not a bad deal but just wondering how they were going to handle that for those with the packages on ships that don’t have Alfredo’s or GiGis.  

That's a very good question! 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 10:02 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I really appreciate your viewpoints!  
I do tend to disagree with one point you made that it’s about the principle vs the amount.  It’s almost always, if not always, all about the money.  
Looking on the bright side, one can still get pizza upstairs by using their feet.  Both are still complimentary.  You can also not go to the GastroPub for less than it cost before.  Plus, the packages now include pretty good options for those that don’t drink any alcohol. 
Oh and I do agree that we will definitely see a price increase on the packages around the beginning of 2024.  I have a 10 day cruise booked for next year with the old plus package price and I’m tempted to upgrade to the premier package right now before that price increase I anticipate.  

What, exactly, are the good options for non-alcohol drinkers?  Coffee that costs $3.00 or sodas for the same amount vs. $10 for a glass of wine?  I enjoy the pizza on the Lido deck, but it is not equal to eating at Alfredo's.  Two special desserts?  Who wants that everyday?  Reserved seating?  On my last cruise, the reserved seating was 80% empty until 5 minutes before showtime when they sent the SRO guests to that section.  Unless you drink 4 or more alcoholic beverages per day, I fail to see the value!

28 minutes ago, jangor said:

What, exactly, are the good options for non-alcohol drinkers?  Coffee that costs $3.00 or sodas for the same amount vs. $10 for a glass of wine?  I enjoy the pizza on the Lido deck, but it is not equal to eating at Alfredo's.  Two special desserts?  Who wants that everyday?  Reserved seating?  On my last cruise, the reserved seating was 80% empty until 5 minutes before showtime when they sent the SRO guests to that section.  Unless you drink 4 or more alcoholic beverages per day, I fail to see the value!

Well, it may be easier to please those that like the sit down pizza, room service and the other casual restaurants.  It's still an option to pay the standard fare if you don't care for any of the things included in the package.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, jangor said:

But it works for my 10 drinks a day

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Send a message. It’s the best way to be heard. Write a polite letter explaining your concerns, what you like about the changes at what is not so good. 

Discussion, and complaints in forums is ok but don’t forget to actually be counted. 

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with paying the standard fare and then paying for the extras (if any at all) you do use (either pay as you go or individual packages like drinks). That's what everyone did before the plus and premier packages were introduced. 

Not sure why people are getting so uptight about them now. Either you get value from them and pay for them, or don't get any value and don't pay.

All cruise lines at this price point charge extra for WIFI, drinks, specialty dining, photos etc. Searching around I'm finding it difficult to find a better value for money (especially when it comes to ships without water slides, go kart tracks and character dining). 

Each to their own. I find some value in not having to fork out everytime I want something, even if that value isn't entirely monetary. 

Edited by downtheback
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, drwbrt said:

I'm surprised at some of these comments.  My cruise I've booked on Princess, with Premier, is CHEAPER than what I could get on NCL, CCL, or RCL with a drink package, gratuities and wifi. The value is there.  I think this only helps CCL.  Passengers that want more included casual dining will migrate to something like Carnival.  I think that plays to Princess' advantage.  Carnival (parent) is getting very strategic about segmenting their customers and directing them to the cruise line that fits the customers view of value.

When I bought our cruise along with lots and lots of others, Casual dining was free. After we paid our deposits, after we decided which package we wanted after we made final payment, Princess decided to change what is included in our cruise.  We bought one experience and Princess is delivering something else.
It is not about the total paid it's about the changes made after we paid and booked.  For some reason folks are ok with this because it's Princess? 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

When I bought our cruise along with lots and lots of others, Casual dining was free. After we paid our deposits, after we decided which package we wanted after we made final payment, Princess decided to change what is included in our cruise.  We bought one experience and Princess is delivering something else.
It is not about the total paid it's about the changes made after we paid and booked.  For some reason folks are ok with this because it's Princess? 

What is the difference when unlimited drinks went to 15 with a one week notice

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

It was never unlimited drinks with either package.  Its always been 15.
And the difference is one was free and now it's not.

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, drwbrt said:

@Mike45LC my upgrade to Premier includes reserved seating so while those may not be less crowded, I won't be fighting for a seat.  Thanks for pointing out additional value I'm getting!

I usually get there early to the theatre as I like to sit in the front row center, so I don't have any tall heads in front of me, plus your close to everything that's happening.  The best theatre seat in my opinion.

Tom

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, suzyed said:

It was never unlimited drinks with either package.  Its always been 15.
And the difference is one was free and now it's not.

You must not be a long time cruiser. Before there was plus there was just a drink package and it was unlimited

• Like 1

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

The only casual dining spot that was included was Alfredo’s / Gigi’s.  Neither the GastroPub nor O’Malleys were free and neither was the Sushi Place.  If anything, they went down in price.  Even the tapas in Vines were only complimentary with a drink purchase at that bar.  
I’m ok with it not because it’s Princess, it’s because now it’s a better value for us.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I would think that barely caused a ripple as the vast majority of guests using the package at the time were not consuming >15 alcoholic drinks per day.  IIRC, there was general support from CC members (obviously not all on drink packages) that having a reasonable limit would help curb people getting blasted.

There is a lot more consternation over the pizza since many folks will partake at least once a voyage.  And used Ocean Now for free.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 7:20 AM, kywildcatfanone said:

Yep, and the medallion is the tool for it.  They are easily about to track your shipboard habits and spending.  It makes it very easy for them. 

They can also analyze data to look at what you consider buying or spending money on. It isn’t a perfect science, but they can set filters to look for trends including how much they pass/stop by certain restaurants/venues. 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You must not be a long time cruiser. Before there was plus there was just a drink package and it was unlimited

The only value to more than 15, is if you really want to try more. Since flights of beers or margaritas are never included, people can create their own flights by purchasing multiple beers/margaritas but not finishing them. The only other people upset with the change from unlimited to 15 were the people sharing drinks with friends and family not in the package. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I have been cruising with Princess since 2010.  Never saw unlimited it was always 15.
You said they changed it in a week....that simply is not true.

Edited by suzyed

22 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I have been cruising with Princess since 2010.  Never saw unlimited it was always 15.
You said they changed it in a week....that simply is not true.

I have been here since 1992. You are a latecomer 

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

I think some people are ok with it because they understand the changes are:

1) Something that cruise lines are entitled to make to be profitable and adjust to market fluctuations;

2) The changes made are material to the cruise purchased under the terms and conditions set out at the time of purchasing. Specific food provisions seen in promotional materials are “subject to change” 

3) The changes may add value to people with packages. There are more options available for people with plus or premium package. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's a below average day for me and my DH. 😁

There are also many non-alcoholic drinks that are included in the package that start adding up the cost. 

And I’m with @CruizinSusan70 here. My mama taught me to be above average. Bartender, another round please!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, canucktrio said:

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Send a message. It’s the best way to be heard. Write a polite letter explaining your concerns, what you like about the changes at what is not so good. 

Discussion, and complaints in forums is ok but don’t forget to actually be counted. 

Tried that 2 weeks ago but had no response at all so far