Unpopular Opinion: I'm excited about the changes to Plus and Premier

drwbrt

After analyzing the costs with Plus and Premier packages and comparing to what we actually participate in when on a Princess cruise (we are elite), we have come to the conclusion that the extra money for the packages is better spent securing a Reserve Class Mini-suite. We do not drink alcohol to any extent, we do not go cruising to eat pizza (even though we love pizza), and we get the minibar setup exchanged for drinks we do like. We eat breakfast, lunch (on sea days), and dinner in the Reserve Class dining room. Plenty of seafood, pasta, meat dishes, custom menu items, great service, no lines, no reservations. We do not use room service or order food on our medallions.

Yes, I know, we sound boring. However, we have a blast on our cruises and even have four more booked. Cheers, y'all.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, rosevew said:

Tried that 2 weeks ago but had no response at all so far

Yup.  Eventually you should either get a reply or follow up. They don’t always write back until they have a corporate approval to say something 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, memoak said:

You must not be a long time cruiser. Before there was plus there was just a drink package and it was unlimited

Yup. Unlimited drinks and the coffee card could be used for gelato. They also had cans of iced coffee (Illy)

5 minutes ago, canucktrio said:

Yup. Unlimited drinks and the coffee card could be used for gelato. They also had cans of iced coffee (Illy)

I never had that with my coffee cards. (possible I didn't realize it)

15 hours ago, canucktrio said:

customerrelations@princesscruises.com

Send a message. It’s the best way to be heard. Write a polite letter explaining your concerns, what you like about the changes at what is not so good. 

Discussion, and complaints in forums is ok but don’t forget to actually be counted. 

That's exactly what I have done.

4 hours ago, rosevew said:

Tried that 2 weeks ago but had no response at all so far

I asked about whether we get 2 free Casual meals per week or just two for our whole 25 day cruise....thinking that would be equitable per week.  But no, I was assured that 2 casual meals was it and that's just the way it will be. It was a quick reply however....bad news travels fast!  LOL

Reading elsewhere in the forums...another change implemented by Princess this year...allows for Package purchases on day one of the cruise.  Seeing that OBC can now be used for the purchase, this seems like an incredibly positive change in the Packages.  For those who insure their trip, that's extra money saved waiting to buy it on board.

We are borderline on what the P+ package value is to us at $60pppd.  I come out a little ahead (2 alcoholic drinks per day).  S.O. comes out a little behind (1 drink per day).

Considering we will have a decent amount of non-refundable OBC to start our next cruise, and with the option to get 8% discounts on Gift cards to add more OBC, it actually makes the Package worthwhile at 1/0 alcoholic drinks per day for us.  We'll be buying it on board.

Edited by SleeStack1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

That's a below average day for me and my DH. 😁

Water bottles, coffees, and sodas add up so even if you don’t drink 4 drinks x 2 packages, for a couple in a stateroom,a day the joy is knowing if you don’t like or don’t finish a drink you can order another.  I’ve compared plus and premier and still think plus is the best value.  We just pay any up charge if we order something above the $15.00.  Usually there’s some good wine choices at $16-$20 for the premier package but between 2 persons we don’t need to spend $40.00 more.  If they start cheeping out on the bar alcohol (ie no name vodka/gin/rum/tequila/whiskey) I may have to change my mind then.  
My support to princess is they are also trying to address people buying basic and not wanting to pay the gratuities to support the staff. The more people opt in to the packages , staff benefit, and services should improve 

1 hour ago, SleeStack1 said:

Reading elsewhere in the forums...another change implemented by Princess this year...allows for Package purchases on day one of the cruise.  Seeing that OBC can now be used for the purchase, this seems like an incredibly positive change in the Packages.  For those who insure their trip, that's extra money saved waiting to buy it on board.

We are borderline on what the P+ package value is to us at $60pppd.  I come out a little ahead (2 alcoholic drinks per day).  S.O. comes out a little behind (1 drink per day).

Considering we will have a decent amount of non-refundable OBC to start our next cruise, and with the option to get 8% discounts on Gift cards to add more OBC, it actually makes the Package worthwhile at 1/0 alcoholic drinks per day for us.  We'll be buying it on board.

From your mouth to the teetotalers ears.  Many cruisers on the other side of the line in the sand have typed that the packages are only good for those that like to imbibe.  The fact that the two of you see value buying the package on board to use up refundable credit even though you'll average 3 drinks a day between the two of you gives me hope that other non drinkers will see your point of view.  I hope for this since I'm a stockholder that bought before Covid and we're a bit in the red.  But combining past and future cruises, we've gotten or will get about 2500 in OBC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, canucktrio said:

Water bottles, coffees, and sodas add up so even if you don’t drink 4 drinks x 2 packages, for a couple in a stateroom,a day the joy is knowing if you don’t like or don’t finish a drink you can order another.  I’ve compared plus and premier and still think plus is the best value.  We just pay any up charge if we order something above the $15.00.  Usually there’s some good wine choices at $16-$20 for the premier package but between 2 persons we don’t need to spend $40.00 more.  If they start cheeping out on the bar alcohol (ie no name vodka/gin/rum/tequila/whiskey) I may have to change my mind then.  
My support to princess is they are also trying to address people buying basic and not wanting to pay the gratuities to support the staff. The more people opt in to the packages , staff benefit, and services should improve 

Can't agree more, we've gotten the Plus package @ 40 on each of our past 4 Princess cruises and our 7 future bookings over the next 2 years we have the Plus package @ 60 reserved.  The only way we see value in paying for Premier would be if we were on a 4-5 day cruise since the 2 specialty dinners are worth 156.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The response email will be in conjunction with the email explaining all of the new changes.  Don't hold your breath waiting for it.

I didn't get an email explaining the new changes.

26 minutes ago, suzyed said:

I didn't get an email explaining the new changes.

No, none of us have! We’re expecting our letter in the cabin when we board this weekend, which annoys me even more as besides the 4 other emails off Princess I’ve had this week, today I’ve had one offering me a free subscription to The Telegraph newspaper for 4 months 🤦‍♀️. I would love to reply that they can keep their free subscription and just provide me with what I’ve paid for on my cruise!

23 hours ago, suzyed said:

I asked about whether we get 2 free Casual meals per week or just two for our whole 25 day cruise....thinking that would be equitable per week.  But no, I was assured that 2 casual meals was it and that's just the way it will be. It was a quick reply however....bad news travels fast!  LOL

So, for the 111 day world cruise, if one were to upgrade to the Plus, it's $60 a day per person for 111 days, or $6,660, and for that you would get 2 casual meals and 2 fitness classes for the entire voyage?

For teetotaler SWMBO and me, there is no way that the Plus makes any sense when compared to the standard and going a la carte, especially knowing our cruising style and past spending habits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/12/2023 at 11:33 PM, Cruise Raider said:

The only casual dining spot that was included was Alfredo’s / Gigi’s.  Neither the GastroPub nor O’Malleys were free and neither was the Sushi Place.  If anything, they went down in price.  Even the tapas in Vines were only complimentary with a drink purchase at that bar.  
I’m ok with it not because it’s Princess, it’s because now it’s a better value for us.  

This is where I landed on the change.  I was prepared to light my torch and sharpen my pitchfork, but then I looked at it from a real-world experience scenario.  Granted, none of this applies to 14 or 20 day cruises but for 7 and 8 day cruises (our norm), it works.  We have never eaten more than twice at Alfredo's, and have never paid to dine at any other "casual for-fee venues" because the price/enjoyment ratio seemed off.  Now, we can dine at Alfredo's twice, (same as before), or try different venues that used to cost money, all for the same $60 per day we were paying before. So our typical visits to Alfredo's will not increase out total cost, and we are actually getting something included in our fare that used to cost more. Seems like a win.  None of the other changes will affect our bottom line or habits one bit.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

This is where I landed on the change.  I was prepared to light my torch and sharpen my pitchfork, but then I looked at it from a real-world experience scenario.  Granted, none of this applies to 14 or 20 day cruises but for 7 and 8 day cruises (our norm), it works.  We have never eaten more than twice at Alfredo's, and have never paid to dine at any other "casual for-fee venues" because the price/enjoyment ratio seemed off.  Now, we can dine at Alfredo's twice, (same as before), or try different venues that used to cost money, all for the same $60 per day we were paying before. So our typical visits to Alfredo's will not increase out total cost, and we are actually getting something included in our fare that used to cost more. Seems like a win.  None of the other changes will affect our bottom line or habits one bit.    

I’ve actually upgraded to the premier package on several of my future sailings because we’ve gotten away from eating our meals in the MDR.  I much prefer the casual settings.  Now that are all included vs costing us up to $36 per meal in the past, it really is a better value for us.  Plus, I get the better wines, which was really the reason for upgrading in the past.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I just received an email from Princess outlining all of the new charges and urging me to upgrade to Plus or Premier.

They closed by saying:

"Come Feel The Love"

When is your cruise?

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

So, for the 111 day world cruise, if one were to upgrade to the Plus, it's $60 a day per person for 111 days, or $6,660, and for that you would get 2 casual meals and 2 fitness classes for the entire voyage?

For teetotaler SWMBO and me, there is no way that the Plus makes any sense when compared to the standard and going a la carte, especially knowing our cruising style and past spending habits.

I believe I would arrive back pickled spending $6,660.  And it is even more since they lengthened the WC from FL and LA.

30 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I believe I would arrive back pickled spending $6,660.  And it is even more since they lengthened the WC from FL and LA.

I agree.  And that's $6660 per person and SWMBO doesn't drink.  I would need a Betty Ford van to pick me up at the end of the cruise. But then remember, you see more old drunks than you do old doctors.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Haha 2