A short review on the Panorama, July 29 - August 5

john91498

Ok, not really a review, just my jumbled thoughts and observations.

Embarkation was smooth, we had a noon to 12:30 check in time and got to the dock at 12:15. We were on the ship by 12:35.

They had dogs, but they weren't police or feds. Seemed like they were working for Carnival. They were checking every 3rd or 4th group that checked in. The handlers had to direct the dogs to the bags and the dogs really didn't even sniff any bags.

Room stewards were short staffed. Of the 7 nights, they only cleaned our cabin 3 times and didn't get to our room on embarkation till around 10pm. Didn't really mind and when we asked for the towels to be replaced, they showed up quickly.

Food in the MDR was a mess. First night, we waited around 45 minutes after we ordered for the food to show up. Luckily, we were drinking, but were getting kinda hungry.

We ate at the steak house 1 night and didn't want to wait on a couple nights and ate at the buffet.

By far, Guys burgers, Pig and Anchor and the Cantina were the best food options.

We were very disappointed at Jiji's Mongolian Wok. Four choices and all of it was premade. Bleh...

On a personal note, my wife befriended a waitress in the buffet. She doted on my daughter and said my daughter reminds her of her own daughter. She told us that she was under contract for 8 months at $2500. Wow, that's only $312 a month. My wife felt so bad that we tipped her $500. She looked like she was going to cry when my wife gave her the money.

All in all, it was another memorable cruise, but the Carnival cruise experience was just ok... 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

Ok, not really a review, just my jumbled thoughts and observations.

Embarkation was smooth, we had a noon to 12:30 check in time and got to the dock at 12:15. We were on the ship by 12:35.

They had dogs, but they weren't police or feds. Seemed like they were working for Carnival. They were checking every 3rd or 4th group that checked in. The handlers had to direct the dogs to the bags and the dogs really didn't even sniff any bags.

Room stewards were short staffed. Of the 7 nights, they only cleaned our cabin 3 times and didn't get to our room on embarkation till around 10pm. Didn't really mind and when we asked for the towels to be replaced, they showed up quickly.

Food in the MDR was a mess. First night, we waited around 45 minutes after we ordered for the food to show up. Luckily, we were drinking, but were getting kinda hungry.

We ate at the steak house 1 night and didn't want to wait on a couple nights and ate at the buffet.

By far, Guys burgers, Pig and Anchor and the Cantina were the best food options.

We were very disappointed at Jiji's Mongolian Wok. Four choices and all of it was premade. Bleh...

On a personal note, my wife befriended a waitress in the buffet. She doted on my daughter and said my daughter reminds her of her own daughter. She told us that she was under contract for 8 months at $2500. Wow, that's only $312 a month. My wife felt so bad that we tipped her $500. She looked like she was going to cry when my wife gave her the money.

All in all, it was another memorable cruise, but the Carnival cruise experience was just ok... 

Waiters earn on average around 2600 USD per month. That of course is including the service charges/tips. Bear in mind that this is for working very long days, 7 days a week for months on end, and the time at home is unpaid.
Hotel Management positions earn mucho more, up to 12.000 USD per month, which near the values of the ship’s Master...😉.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, john91498 said:

...She told us that she was under contract for 8 months at $2500. Wow, that's only $312 a month. My wife felt so bad that we tipped her $500. She looked like she was going to cry when my wife gave her the money...

Maybe she meant 8 months at $2500/mo. Kudos to your wife - very nice of her 👏 🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Despegue said:

Waiters earn on average around 2600 USD per month. That of course is including the service charges/tips. Bear in mind that this is for working very long days, 7 days a week for months on end, and the time at home is unpaid.
Hotel Management positions earn mucho more, up to 12.000 USD per month, which near the values of the ship’s Master...😉.

That can’t be right..no way someone employed on a carnival cruise ship is making $250k per year (unless it’s MAYBE the captain).

Also; on the low-end..I don’t think they can get away with paying less than US federal minimum wage of $7.25, since they’re a US-based company. (The employees have US taxes taken out of their checks)

I would wonder if she turned in the $500...as many crew members have told me, any tips they get MUST be turned in, to be put in a “fleetwide” pool.

We had the same cabin steward three cruises in a row, and knew us on second cruise halfway down the hall. He had a few months left with Carnival as was going home to start a family. When I asked if he could honest answer, asked about tips. As housekeeping he said they pool dedicated tips, but gets to keep cash. 

6 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

That can’t be right..no way someone employed on a carnival cruise ship is making $250k per year (unless it’s MAYBE the captain).

Also; on the low-end..I don’t think they can get away with paying less than US federal minimum wage of $7.25, since they’re a US-based company. (The employees have US taxes taken out of their checks)

I would wonder if she turned in the $500...as many crew members have told me, any tips they get MUST be turned in, to be put in a “fleetwide” pool.

I can’t figure out your math. A waiter on an 8 month contract at $2600/month is making $20,800. Even the person making 12k per month is bringing n $144k annually at 12 months a year. Which they don’t get 12 month contracts. 

I was under the impression that the reason the ships are flagged in other countries is to not have to follow US labor laws. I know when NCL sailed only in Hawaii with no foreign ports, their crew had to be paid etc under the US department of labor rules. 

21 hours ago, john91498 said:

What is the cantina?

Mongolian Wok didn't give out the papers where you select your choices? That sucks.

2 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

What is the cantina?

Mongolian Wok didn't give out the papers where you select your choices? That sucks.

cantina = Blue Iguana

Jiji lunch does provide paper to mark your selections, from fixed menu items (noodles, dry or soup). They are made to order. You just can't pick and choose ingredients like Cucina lunch.

22 hours ago, john91498 said:

That $312 per month was before tips.  Someone else mentioned that they make closer to $2500 per month including tips, and that sounds like a reasonable total amount they could be making.  Even assuming they are off  for three months per year, that is $22,500 a year plus room and board.

I am not saying that any of these workers are getting rich, but in most cases, they are much better off than most in their home country.  In the Phillippines, for example, the average annual salary is less than $10,000.   In terms of relative wealth, that is akin to someone in the U.S. making six figures.  In their home countries these crew members often buy homes and support their extended families.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Being employed onboard a Carnival ship, or indeed any cruise ship except Pride of America currently, has nothing to do with any US tax or labour laws. The vessels are flagged in Italy, Bermuda, Panama, The Netherlands, etc. But not in the USA. 

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 3:33 AM, Haljo1935 said:

Maybe she meant 8 months at $2500/mo. Kudos to your wife - very nice of her 👏 🤗

I thought the same thing, but no, she said the $2,500 was for all 8 months. Gee, that's heartbreaking...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john91498 said:

I thought the same thing, but no, she said the $2,500 was for all 8 months. Gee, that's heartbreaking...

Very much so - the crew are proud hard workers who deserve to be fairly compensated for the good work they do.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Very much so - the crew are proud hard workers who deserve to be fairly compensated for the good work they do.

Define fairly compensated? Compensation based on their home country hourly wage? Ours? Which state? National miniumum wage or state minimum wage? Because CA's min wage is way higher than national.

Do they make overtime?

If wages are increased, do we do away with tips?

Do you mind paying 10x for your cruises going forward with such a plan?

To OP, thanks! Great review. Felt the same way after my Pano cruise back in March. Meh, I just prefer Radiance.

4 hours ago, john91498 said:

Unfortunately, she omitted to you that the vast majority of her salary comes from the gratuities, and her average salary during these 8 months will indeed be around 2500 USD per month, which is still not that much considering the hard work and long days.

• Like 1